Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The manager should have waited for your rides to get there for you. There's no excuse for leaving you alone outside a closed store.

The most important thing though, you're not hurt, and I hope your friend heals fast.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth bedwards87 View Post
      It just pisses me off that we do not have cameras. 2 years ago I was told by the then GM K that we would be getting cameras after A(another am) got robbed at gun point. 2 years later NO F'ING CAMERAS.

These jackholes are most likely never going to get caught now probably because we did not have cameras.

I do feel kind of bad for the homeless man the police detained though. Just bad luck that the K9 picked up on him.

BTW: Since I have been there we have been robbed at least 5 times. This is the first time it has happened to me but after one time you would think they would review security measures but 5+ is ridiculous.
      5 robberies and still no cameras? I'd be inclined to tell the management a couple things:
      1. Perhaps word has gotten around in the criminal community that you don't have cameras, and that's why there have been so many robberies (no cameras = lower risk of being identified).
      2. The company knows that employees have been injured in robbery attempts. By not increasing security (including but not limited to putting in cameras), they are leaving themselves open to liability on the grounds of negligence if someone is injured/killed in a subsequent robbery attempt. Even if there is wording in the employment contract prohibiting suits against the employer, that wording could be thrown out by a judge in the event of gross negligence, and is of absolutely no protection in the event that someone other than an employee (i.e. customer, or an employee's next of kin) sues them, because such people wouldn't have signed any agreement not to sue.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm a girl and a wimpy one at that. I would've been scared shitless and like the manager, probably would've tried to hide/drive away. Had I my senses, I'd honk the horn like crazy and call the cops immediately. It's impossible to say for sure how I'd react, because I've never (thankfully!) been in such a situation. But you know what else? After 5 fracking robberies, I'd make sure everyone stayed inside until everyone was ready to leave as a group. WTF is wrong w/ management/corporate that they allow such unsafe conditions? And BTW, when is the deposit taken to the bank? Because if it's at night, then management needs to rethink that procedure.

I'm sorry you went through this. I hope your store implements some safety procedures and that A heals quickly. And maybe it's because I'm feeling vindictive, but perhaps A should think about suing. If he was off the clock, workman's comp won't cover his injury. An injury that was caused, in part, due to unsafe store environment & policies. But you might get some cameras then. Feel better soon.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bedwards87 View Post
          or a knife could I have done anything?
          Not unless you have some knife-fighting training,it ain't like in the movies.I collect large fixed blade sheath knives & would be scared shitless to get into a knife fight & I actually know a little bit,probably just enough to get me killed.
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Its cheaper to give them everything they want rather than try to fight them, or train yourself in fighting.

For example, if someone were to rob me right now, and take absolutely everything in my wallet I might be out maybe $300, tops, and thats if they run right to an ATM after I give them my PIN.

Thats a whole helluva lot cheaper than me spending money on self defense classes or paying for a hospital stay.

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
              Not unless you have some knife-fighting training,it ain't like in the movies.I collect large fixed blade sheath knives & would be scared shitless to get into a knife fight & I actually know a little bit,probably just enough to get me killed.
              He speaks the truth. An untrained person with a weapon will usually lose to a trained person who'll be able to either get the weapon and use it, or know how to avoid it.

If you go via the self-defence route, the main technique is not to be in a dangerous situation. Don't make yourself a target. Heroes walk away from fights in one piece in Hollywood.

Rapscallion

Comment

we usually drop the deposit off in the middle of the day. It was locked in the safe so that the opening manager could take it to the bank.

Comment

I'm glad you're okay. It's scary to be in a situation like that. It sucks that your store doesn't have cameras. Hopefully they'll put some in soon.

I agree with Freddy and Rapscallion that knives and fighting is not the way to go. There's always someone who is trained better than you out there, and you could end up getting hurt worse if you try to fight back.

Comment

If you would like to prepare yourself better, try to get into a self-defence course in your area. Most martial arts schools offer them for a reasonable price, and your local police or constables should be able to point you to a good one, hopefully. Most of the good ones will discuss how to escape first, and only escalate as a last resort.

Even if you never use anything from it, it will make you feel better for knowing what the appropriate responce to a situation is. Ultimately, mindset can make a big difference in a situation like you described.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

i concur with raps and the others. knifes are a good way to get dead. (raps and mytical know my current profession and can attest to my training in such) when i was working at a carnival something similar happened to me of course being a stupid young male at the time i fought. got all kinds of messed up.

you did the right thing by cooperating with them and not trying to fight. even now as one trained in fighting i will avoid the fight as long as i can. the best defense after all is not to make yourself a target.
                      There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X