Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scroob, unfortunately, if the ct in your location stands for Connecticut, here is what I found at http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstn...ees.htm#breaks

Is my employer required to provide me a break?
    Connecticut state law does not require your employer to provide you a break. For additional information, please see "Is my employer required to provide me a meal period?" below.

Is my employer required to provide me a meal period?
    Your employer must provide you a meal period of at least 30 consecutive minutes if you have worked for 7½ or more consecutive hours. However, the Labor Commissioner will exempt your employer from this requirement if one of the following conditions is present:
    a. complying with this requirement would endanger public safety;
    b. the duties of the position can only be performed by one employee;
    c. the employer employs less than 5 employees on that shift at that one business location (this only applies to that particular shift); or,
    d. the employer's operation requires that employees be available to respond to urgent conditions, and that the employees are compensated for the meal period.

Meal period requirements are covered under 31-51ii of the Conn. State Statutes.

You should call the Employment Department to confirm this information.

If there is an employee handbook and it states that employees should receive breaks, then that is something to contact the labor board/commission/department about.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The store manager did clarify things a bit. Company policy states a 15 min break for anyone who works at least 6 hours. When my AM first trained me on the job, I guess she'd been under the impression that policy was 2 15 min breaks. It is written as 1 15 in the book, but since I had been allowed 2 breaks since my first day, and suddenly 6 months they decide to change it, and not tell me, and then yell at me for attempting to take the second 15, I thought that may have been a little unfair. The way it could have been dealt with was to calmly explain that I was only due one 15 min break. The yelling at me, in front of coworkers and customers, was not necessary or cool.
      I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Scroob, your manager definitely has issues. Sorry.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
        X