This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate students

Very hypocritical, considering I am a student myself, but if there is one thing my job has taught me, is that students are some of the most arrogant, selfish, self centred sucky customers out there, especially in a place that serves alcohol.

All of these stories happened last night.

Come on! Buy a round!

Was a steady shift, then a large group, easily over 100 students, walk through the door at once.

ALL of them order the same drinks, and ALL order seperately. They then start complaining about the wait to get served.

Wrong, just wrong

A concerned, respectable customer comes up to me

C: I just saw a student doing heroin in the toilets.

The manager and another member of staff find the student and drag him out, while another phoned the police. Customer started screaming about his HUMAN RIGHTS.

Idiot on a table

Drunk student jumps on a table and starts dancing. I run over.

Me: Please get down!
    Student: Fuck you! I can do what I want!

The student slips, falls, lands on a large pile of glasses, smashing them all, and snapped part of the table clean off.

I was blind with rage.

Me: GET...THE...FUCK...OUT.

Another student comes screeching up to me.

Student 1: You can't talk to him like that! Thats not good service! He fell off one of your INSECURE tables.
    Me: And you can FUCK OFF as well!
    Student 1: What! I'm getting the manager!

The manager came up to me and told me to carry on being rude to the students. He wanted them to leave.

I did you a favour ass face

So, a student orders a meal, and we dont have any of it left. I go up to him.

Me: OK, we don't have any of your platter left, but I'm going to go into the kitchen and make one up using other types of chicken, wedges ect ect, so, it'll be a larger, more high quality meal than you ordered.
    Student's Friend: Wow that sounds great! Thank you!

I take the meal out to him, I thought it looked fantastic, the students friends wowed when I took it out.

The student just stared at the meal, then shoved it off the table.

Student: That's not what I ordered.

Swinging doors hurt you know!

A large group of students stand outside the kitchen doors. Its not as if they have no where else to go, there was plenty of room everywhere else in the bar, but they wanted to stand next to the swinging doors.

Me: Can you move away from those doors guys? One of you is going to get hurt.
    Student: Huh! The barmans telling us what to do!

Sure enough, the kitchen door FLEW open, and knocked a girl right of her feet.

Me: I warned you.

I hope you fail university

We were getting a bit stressed, the line at the bar was never ending, no one had had their break and I was feeling sick from hunger.

Student: I am SO glad I will NEVER have to work in a place like this! My degree will make sure I NEVER have to work in a bar. I feel sorry for people that have to work here.

I hope you end up being a cleaners assistant.

What is wrong with you?

A disabled person and their carer went into the disabled toilet. A group of students grabbed one of our sofas and slammed it against the toilet door, blocking the people in the toilet completely.

I storm over to sort the situation out. A student GRABS me, and says

Student: No! It'll be funny!

I shove the student very hard.

Me: You are fucking barred. If I see you in here, you'll be needing to use that bathroom because you'll be in a wheelchair.

Harsh, but he deserved it.

We are closed. Goodnight.

Rang time. First thing I did was start sorting out the staff drinks. We were going to need them.

Student: Hi, can I have...
    Me: I'm sorry, we're closed.
    Student: What are you doing at the register then?
    Me: I'm putting my drinks through before we cash up. It's my turn to get drunk.
    Student: This isn't fair!

She walked away. Two seconds later, she was back.

Student: I just wanted to ask you, do you know ANYTHING about good customer service? I'm doing a degree in management you know! So I know how to deal with people in a place of business!
    Me: Yes I know quite a bit. You see, I am doing a degree in management myself. What's you favourite area? HR? Finance?
    Student: Uhhhhh...
    Me: And can I ask you, do you know ANYTHING about being a good customer?
    Student: Uhhhhh...

She walked away.

Go away

After this idiot, another large group of students walk through the door, again, easily 100 of them. One guy was leading the group.

Student: You're CLOSING?
    Me: Actually we're CLOSED so can you make your way to the doors.
    Student: You're always open til 2am!
    Me: We have NEVER been open til 2am, now can you all please leave?
    Student: Great, now what are we supposed to do?

For people who are getting degrees, they sure are stupid.

Hey.. hehe.

The best way to stay into a bar/alcohol serving joint well after closed is to get on the GOOD SIDE of management and staff, not the BAD! Silly students.

/has stayed at a bar until 4 AM doing shots with the bartender and manager and all the shot girls.

And also, I usually tip around ohhh.... 45-50 per cent of our bill. 100 dollar minimum nights, not counting jello/syringe shots... usually 8 people... Well, our favorite waitress does not go home empty handed.

Comment

Don't tar us all with the same brush, I'm a student too! And I'm nice!

On the other hand, most of the people I go to school with are idiotic assholes.....

Comment

Oh no, I'm not tarring them all. As I said, I'm a student myself, and most of our staff are students, but they are the most hated customers in our bar.

Comment

I always hated it at the beginning of the school year when students came in with "lists" from their teachers and tried to just hand them to me...

yeah sorry honey Im not your maid and we dont offer a personal shopping service.. if you want that, go to barker and pollocks....

what... they have more expensive prices... GEE WHY DO YOU THINK THAT MIGHT BE!!!!!

if you have a question ask me, thats not a problem but if you dont know what anything is on the list and you havent even bothered to try and find it yourself despite our section being very very clearly labelled, im not going to do it for you. Dont you get angry at me if YOU dont know what sewing machines the school uses.... its YOUR class, how the freaking heck would I know!
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            The manager and another member of staff find the student and drag him out, while another phoned the police. Customer started screaming about his HUMAN RIGHTS.
            Pretending for just a second that that isn't illegal as hell, that still wouldn't give him the right to do it in the bathroom of a public place like that. If he insists on doing that, he should do it in the privacy of his own home. I have a "human right" to get it on with a willing partner, but that doesn't mean I can take her into the bathroom of some bar and do it.

Sure enough, the kitchen door FLEW open, and knocked a girl right of her feet.
            I saw a sign on a windowless storeroom door at a bowling alley once:

"Common Cents:" (Yes, it was spelled like that)
            "To avoid being hit by this door, don't stand in front of it."

Student: I am SO glad I will NEVER have to work in a place like this! My degree will make sure I NEVER have to work in a bar. I feel sorry for people that have to work here.
            He could be in for a rude awakening when he finds out that having a degree is no guarantee of getting the job you went to school for. It took me almost a year, and some of the people I went to school with never did get that dream job. No one wants to hire you without having experience, which you can't get without a job, which you can't get without experience, and so on...

Student: No! It'll be funny!
            "How about I lock you in there and set the place on fire? Now THAT'LL be funny!"

What you said was nowhere near as harsh as what I just came up with.

Student: I just wanted to ask you, do you know ANYTHING about good customer service? I'm doing a degree in management you know! So I know how to deal with people in a place of business!
            Great, just what we need! Another know-it-all idiot who never dealt with customers in their lives, but knows everything they need to know because they took some bullshit management course.

For people who are getting degrees, they sure are stupid.
            Sadly, that's fairly common. There are a lot of people who get straight A's in school, but don't really have any common sense in the real world.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Although the bars near the campus here make much dinero because of the dumbass college kids around here, I'm pretty sure every bartender and every restaurant owner that works on the street right by the campus sees red when they see college kids.

They may be the future leaders of the world, but 90% of them can't even cross the street without nearly causing a 5 car pileup.

They may be getting big degrees, but half of them pass out on people's front lawns.

They may have tons of mommy and daddy's money, but they sure could afford to drop some of that money on a brain transplant.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well my brother has never been an SC - but he's probably been a sucky student at times b/c he's one of those "geniuses" (no really) who ends up usually being smarter than the teacher - so he doesn't show a lot of respect to the teachers because like many, he feels respect needs to be earned. And when your teacher is a moron, it sure feels like a waste of time.

BUT despite his genius - he has very little common sense. DON'T try to give him directions to somewhere - even step by step drawn out - every street name he may pass listed on them directions - he'll still get lost. He also can't lead and can't follow (when driving). There are some other things but this has been the biggest lack of common sense I've seen in him.

Sometimes having more common sense than "degree" sense is better in my opinion Which is why I never really valued college (I went but dropped out after 3 years & 3 colleges). I never felt that little piece of paper telling someone I had a degree in Theatre Arts was really going to get me a big time job.... I'm sure you just walk into Universal Studios or Paramount w/ a little piece of paper saying you have a Theatre Degree and they just put you in a movie w/ Brad Pitt right away and start paying you a million dollars..... (btw - I just really didn't know what I wanted to do then - theatre arts was the only thing I could come up with that I might have some fun doing and still meet my parents & insurance's requirements to be in school - I also tried business and the 3 classes I took in that were the biggest joke ever - I did NOT learn anything).

Comment

Me: And can I ask you, do you know ANYTHING about being a good customer?
                  Fantastic come-back!

Besides - the best managers don't necessarily have a degree in management. They worked their way up from the bottom. That's how you learn what "customer service" is - and isn't.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

While I do support a higher education and don't regret going to school, have to agree with you so much! I know so many intellegent, articulate and awesome people who don't have a college degree and I know some complete asshats with them. It doesn't measure your intellegence in anyway and people who use the fact that they have a degree to treat people badly or feel superior I think are just jerks.

I admit I am one of those people who cannot comprehend directions at all, I have to write detailed instructions on how to get places and I will still get lost! I have my degree in Theatre...and no...you cannot be a movie star with it, it doesn't even get you a role as a tree in a community theatre production. Some of the people from my program are doing really well for themselves. Did they need a degree to tell them they they were good? NO!

However when I worked for the cell phone company and I was speaking with SC who was being really irate and calling me stupid and every name in the book I would mention that I was getting my MBA so couldn't be that bad..but I shouldn't have.

Comment

I know the feeling. I feel really embarrassed sometimes that I'm a student and the kids I go to school with act like such self-important schmucks. It's even worse because I go to school in a poorer, rural area of the state, and a lot of people I worked with at this department store last semester thought I would be a snob because I was a college student from an affluent town in Maryland. It's the TOWN that is affluent, not ME. Students like this give students like me a bad name. A lot of them WILL end up working those jobs they thought they wouldn't, because Mom and Dad's money doesn't last forever.
                      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
                        How much do you want to bet that kid was an Art or French Literature major or something....

*Coming soon to a Starbucks near YOU!*

I'm an art major. Do not crush my dreams

(I understand the starving thing. I have to do loads of commissions and put together a masssssssive portfolio before I can live off my art alone. HELLO RETAIL FOR ANOTHER 7 YEARS YAY -gunshot-)
                        Last edited by Pezzle; 05-04-2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

"My degree will make sure I NEVER have to work in a bar. I feel sorry for people that have to work here."

Um. Yeah, Hon. People with degrees always get the jobs they want. They never have to pay any kind of dues.

Man. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when her turn comes.

Comment

I'm more of a Concept Art sort of person. Full color illustrations, sometimes sequentials, photoshop coloring is my specialty. I usually work entirely in Adobe Photoshop CS2 with a Wacom tablet. I'm also not bad at vector artwork with Illustrator CS2 but Flash/Animation isn't me. I'm just not an animator.

I can communicate OK with programmers. I used to be an engineering major but some facets of C++ just completely lost me. Art is the only thing I can do tha doesn't make me want to kill myself. The only thing customers don't treat me like shite with.

Just to give you an idea of what I meant Photoshop w/ tablet...case you're wondering what I do that's part of my final project for life drawing. He gave me free reign with imagination and whatnot.

Sorry I get giddy about art.

So about those drunk students..

Comment

All a college degree really means is that you know a lot about a very narrow subject. And I say this as a person with a BA in French and a BS in Fashion Merchandising (I guess you could say I have a BS in BS! )

It does not give you common sense. Only life can do that.

Seriously, some of the stupidest, most impressed with themselves people I've run into are college profs. Don't get me started on some of the grants the Biology profs had at NMSU. I seem to remember one about owl spit and another about how many push-ups a male lizard would do to attract a female lizard. Talk about a waste of taxpayers money! On the other hand, the grants down in the Ag College were for things that would actually feed, cloth people, etc.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X