Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised at how few people use BOPiS at my store with how many people call wanting us to "hold" something for them or give us a credit card number over the phone.

We can't take credit card numbers over the phone or written out, esp. since we have BOPis. Corporate takes a very dim view of credit card orders where we don't have the card tangible and visible in-store. We have to verify credit card before we hand over a BOPiS order. I don't know, but I'm going to guess that they got burned heavily on a fraudulent purchase from a manually entered credit card number.

With the frequency we have of people asking us to hold, and never showing up, we rarely yank things off the shelf unless it is pretty slow (bored), or we already know you and there's a fair level of trust built up. We still have Miss Excellent Customer Service that will pull parts off the shelf near the end of her shift only for them to languish for days on valuable counter space. She's the same person that asks EVERYBODY if they would like to sign-up for the Rewards program with the zeal of a Red Spot cashier trying to get guests to sign up for a Red Spot credit card. One would think she gets spiff for everybody she signs up, but we don't.

Comment

Quoth chimera View Post
      On one hand, you have people who order BOPIS and wait a week to pick it up...on the other, you have people who expect their order to be picked as soon as they hit the "confirm order" button. What do you think this is, a pizza place?!
      Hey even pizzas take a "few" minutes to make, cook and box at my pizza placed. we are NOT a certain short Roman Leader pizza place who have HOT and Ready Right NOW.

There is a one store indie in my town that says UP FRONT your order will be 45 minutes or more no matter what time of the day.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Would have to be Impulse buys, because Warp (OS/2 3.0) was discontinued a LONG time ago.
        It lives again, as Blue Lion. :P

On one hand, I love the idea of BOPIS. I order it online, BF can just pick it up later, and we're all happy. BF isn't comfortable shopping when I want something and he doesn't know what it is, so it all works out.

OTOH, I deal with having a warehouse full of furniture someone should've picked up a week+ ago, and furniture isn't small. Sadly, no one seems to enforce the 24 hour rule on pickups, I can't imagine it for a otn of tiny items.

Comment

Quoth Captain Neon View Post
          We can't take credit card numbers over the phone or written out, esp. since we have BOPis. Corporate takes a very dim view of credit card orders where we don't have the card tangible and visible in-store. We have to verify credit card before we hand over a BOPiS order. I don't know, but I'm going to guess that they got burned heavily on a fraudulent purchase from a manually entered credit card number.
          Manually entered cards are actually charged at a higher rate by the seller's bank. They have a higher rate of fraud, and the higher charge helps cover that.
          The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Yellow Shield is literally two doors down from us in the same strip mall. They moved from their location across the street to be closer to us. They will take a credit card over the phone and even deliver to retail customers.

On occasion, we will get a call from a loyal Yellow Shield customer asking about price and availability. When we confirm that we have said item in stock, quote price, warranty, and low price guarantee: they usually start rattling off an address and then try to give us a credit card number. We inform them that we don't take credit card numbers over the phone. They then get huffy and exclaim that Yellow Shield does that for them all the time. Sorry, not at the Green Shamrock. You gotta come in and pay for it!

Then there are the people that want us to price match from just their word.
            SC: Yeah, uh, Yellow Shield has this for $20 less.
            Me: Do you have a quote or a circular from Yellow Shield?
            SC: Well, no, but that's their price. Will you match it?
            Me: I just need to make a phone call.
            SC: I don't have time for that. I'll just pay your price!

slight variation...
            SC: I don't have time for this. *leaves*

In less than an hour, SC sends wife or kid to get item that he tried to scam us on price. Yeah, we remember. It's not as if you came in here wanting an oil filter for a 2010 Chevy Silverado.

Comment

Quoth Captain Neon View Post
              I'm surprised at how few people use BOPiS at my store with how many people call wanting us to "hold" something for them or give us a credit card number over the phone.
              This is one of the many things I will not miss about leaving my old store.

We'd occasionally get SCs who think that they can either do the BOPiS thing (through Peapod, some stores do but this one doesn't have the storage space), and some who think that "delivery service" means they can shop as normal, get to the point of paying at a cashier and give a credit card for payment over the phone (SC is at the register on the phone with the card owner...er, NO). Then there are the ones who call with an entire shopping list and expect a peon to shop for their items (that's what Instacart is for, doofus)
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We're not supposed to do phone charges anymore. We can hold items for 24 hours or they can use BOPIS or buy it online have have it shipped to their house. All the managers have backed this policy except (surprise, surprise) the store manager, Twoface.

As of today, the order from 10/31 was still taking up space on the shelf. Also, the pickup time is still messed up. If someone orders something at 10:30 AM, the system will show the pickup time like 10:57. It's never exactly 30 minutes, just approximately. And it's supposed to be two hours, so it should be 12:30.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                X