Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have reusables, albeit plastic ones that don't really last long enough to be worthwhile. I have found that the insulated bags are much sturdier, tho they do cost more (like five bucks each here). I try to use those whether I have anything cold or not.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have a lot of reusuables. It's been normal for so long to take them that if I don't have at least one bag I feel like I forgot something. I like the sturdy plastic coated ones that stand up. I still have to re-bag most of my groceries, since the baggers tend to attempt to put everything into one bag, although I brought two. But it's too hard to try to ask them to do it different, so I fix it later. It's really hard to walk with one bag of 20 lbs, but not as hard to walk with two at 10 lbs...
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
        I was a little irritated, I'm not going to lie. Why didn't they ask me during the transaction?
        Devil's advocate here...some customers don't let on that they have their own bags until the transaction's over, so there's no easy way for a cashier to know (unless they see bags in the customer's hand/cart....even then "do you have bags?" is met with a "NO").

That said, signs of some sort (and training on how to handle tantrums) would be appropriate. When our plastic ban was enacted the shopping public was expected to know and agree happily with the change (hahaha).
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Just another example of how business is blamed for government largess.

Comment

went shopping at wally world last night. i think i made the poor cashier's night when i 1. already knew about the bag thing, and 2. wasn't angry about it. she seriously acted like she was afraid to talk to me when it came time to mention the bagging.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I did the same when I still had my kitties. Problem was, I generally didn't go shopping often enough to have more than I needed -- so I'd run out fairly often!
              I think I might have told this story here before, but I couldn't find it. I'm a tree hugger who has been using large cotton totes as shopping bags since forever. My husband? Not so much.

I was able to get him to start using them when he went to the big box store because they didn't supply bags, just random sized boxes. Once he was used to carrying them around, I gently nudged him* into using them for the other shopping.

After a while, we had no plastic bags coming into our home. I was very proud of our earth saving efforts whist I unthinkingly continued to use 4 bags a day to remove used cat food.

One day, I realized that we had NO plastic bags in our home. NONE!!! I was so happy and proud that I called everyone I knew to brag and had a glass of wine.

Then I fed the cats their gooshy fud dinner. An hour later, I went to scoop the used cat food and realized that we had NO plastic bags in our home.

Yeah, I didn't think that one through very well.

I had worked so long and so hard to get my sweetie into the habit of using cloth bags that I didn't want to let him get back in the habit of sometimes getting plastic bags. That might result in backsliding, so I put out a cry for help to my friends and co-workers and they responded. Now, I usually have a bag full of bags in my trunk to sneak inside when my sweetie isn't home.

How lame is that? Some spouses lie about cheating or about substance abuse or money or bills. I am lying to my husband of over 30 years about plastic bags. FREE plastic bags.

Maybe I'm a more rabid tree hugger than I thought.

*OK, OK. It took me over 5 years, but I finally nagged him into submission.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                I don't have a car, so I take the bus everywhere that I can usually. And 90% of the time I'll have my backpack with me. I keep 3-4 of the permanent bags from Sobeys in it, so if I have shopping, it either goes in the bookbag, or I have a bag for it ready.
                Same here. I have three re-usable bags in my backpack at all times.

The only plastic bags I still get regularly is from my comic shop every 2 weeks or so. He's got nice thick bags that hold the books well, so they're protected in my bookbag from everything else. Even if he only has the paper bags, they still keep everything together and protected. But overall, 90% of my regular shopping, I bring my own bag and rarely am without them.
                The only thing I use plastic bags for are for wrapping whatever book I'm currently reading in when In place it in my backpack, to protect it from both scuffing the cover and in case it rains.

Comment

I used to carry reusable bags in my work wheelie. Then I changed hotels. Work isn't right across from a grocery store anymore, and while there is a VoldeMart nearby I try not to shop there if I can help it.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

On the custys' claims of illegality -- Just remember: "No" is always incredibly rude and hostile, no matter how politely it's phrased, and any policy they don't like -- e.g. carding a clearly-underage booze buyer -- is illegal!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We no longer get plastic bags at the store - EXCEPT - produce and sometimes the meat dept. However, being a cat owner, and garbage thrower away, I have plastic lined trash bins that go out to the large bin that gets emptied by the waste company, and I have a smaller trash can in the room with the cat box, and that stuff also goes out to the big bin post haste! So, yeah, I don't use plastic bags to shop anymore, yay me! But I use them regularly for my household garbage, and that won't stop any time soon.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        I think I might have told this story here before, but I couldn't find it. I'm a tree hugger who has been using large cotton totes as shopping bags since forever. My husband? Not so much.

snip

*OK, OK. It took me over 5 years, but I finally nagged him into submission.
                        We have six cats, four litter boxes, and have to scoop twice a day. We use an old litter container to scoop into and empty it every couple days. Clean it out once and awhile with some odoban for the smell and you have a free litter genie.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 11-19-2016, 11:51 PM. Reason: trimmed excessive quote

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          When all the old farts die who remember their grandpappy talking about the good old days when bags were free.
                          ...and the Earth was flat, cars had square wheels...and they had to walk to school in waist-deep snow uphill both ways...
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And I did it again. Went to Wally World yesterday and still haven't put bags in my car. Walked out with a purse full of small stuffed penguins because I'm still too cheap and too stubborn buy buy a damned plastic bag when I have a closet full of canvas ones at home.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Hang the bag full of bags from the front door handle. Next time you go outside take them with you.
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                                Hang the bag full of bags from the front door handle. Next time you go outside take them with you.

How embarrassed should I be to admit that they *are* on the front door handle?
                                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                                X