Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

PSP/DS or Wii/Xbox-360/PS2-3
Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
yay!

Default PSP/DS or Wii/Xbox-360/PS2-3

I am looking (vaguely) at updating my gaming console (currently i have a PS 1. Yeah.) I don't really play much and I hate first person shooters.

So, CSers, any advice/preferences? Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
A/P Manager

I like the Wii, though I'm not really a gamer. The bummer is I haven't been able to set it up after moving home from the dorms. Not enough room.

Any game is more fun with a group, since even the simplest activities require everyone to be damn silly.

I think Wii is better for non-gamers than other consoles, since it requires more than pressing the right buttons, so you can actually be a bit sloppy with the controling and still get to where you're going.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Diner Darlin'

Get a Playstation 2. It's affordable & it has a library of a TON of games to choose from. I've had mine since 2002.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Goa'uld System Lord

Quote:
Quoth Bright_Star View Post
Get a Playstation 2.
QFT. If you're not a 'hardcore' gamer, and don't like FPS, then the PS2 is your best bet. Especially as you have a PS1, as I believe even the last models have backwards compatibility (not 100% sure, so double check).

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM
=^_^=

It depends on what kind of games you like. I don't like FPSs myself, but i play alot of RPGs. There are lots of RPGs out for the PS2, and quite a few for the DS and PSP...

So, what are your favorite game genres? That'll be the biggest determining factor of which system you get.

(I currently have all the current game systems, but for me, the ones that get worked out the most are the DS, PS2, and the Xbox360.)

Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Just a Mgr =P

I got a ps2 when it first came out and it played all my ps1 games. The newer ps2's should be able to do the same.

I love my consoles. (ps1- that I don't use anymore, ps2, ps3, psp, wii)

Ps2 is definitely the right route for you. Have fun.

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
The Evil Bastard

Quote:
Quoth Broomjockey View Post
QFT. If you're not a 'hardcore' gamer, and don't like FPS, then the PS2 is your best bet. Especially as you have a PS1, as I believe even the last models have backwards compatibility (not 100% sure, so double check).
Yes they do. It never was removed from the PS2.

The best part is the controller and connections are for the most part interchangeable, with the only exception is if the game uses the pressure sensitive buttons on the PS2 controller. As such, the only thing you have to make sure works is the memory card.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Never loses his hat!

As personal preferance, I would go with the DS for handhelds, or a Xbox 360 for home console.

Deeper reasons:

Preface: I own, in order obtained, an Intellivision, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis, Sega CD, Gameboy Color, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS2, Gamecube, DS, Xbox 360, PSP and PS3. I have played most of the other consoles/handhelds/computers available since Pong was released. Video gaming is my hobby the way some people build gardens with model trains.

Handhelds:
I like the PSP as a device, but Sony is working on a replacement that will likely not be backward compatable. DS for now. It has a nice mix of games, but be sure to do your homework, as there are a lot of stinkers.

Home:
For the homefront, I would honestly suggest the 360 over the PS3 or Wii. The PS2 suggestion is reasonable also, but I'll assume you may be looking current-gen to future-proof somewhat. The 360 has the best selection of various game types, and really good downloadable support and patches if you hook it up to the internet. There are mechanical issues sometimes, but MS has really taken resposibility on them, and is good about the warrenty. Just don't move the system while the power is on, as it is more likely to scratch the games disc than most systems.

The PS3 is lacking in certain types of games, doesn't have the online support, and I think overly priced unless you can get a backwards compatable model (which isn't made anymore). Unless you are in the market for Blu-Ray movies as well, the PS3 is probably not for you.

The Wii is not really much on the traditional gaming. Many of its games are not very good, or aimed at the younger crowd. There are some gems there, but I'm not sure there are enough games to make it worth being the only gaming machine in the house. That said, Big N is still making money hand over fist with it, so what do I know? Also, if you like mostly RPGs, this is not the system for you. The DS has had more RPG releases in the last year than the Wii in its entire life.

That's my short (liar! <hush you!>) take on the matter. If you have more questions, feel free to post them, or PM me. Like I said, videogames has been my hobby for a while, and I'm always happy to talk shop. BTW II--I am always happy to suggest games for a system if you're willing to tell me the type of games you normally like to play.

Last edited by Geek King; 03-20-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 PM
A/P Manager

Quote:
Quoth Geek King View Post
The Wii is not really much on the traditional gaming. Many of its games are not very good, or aimed at the younger crowd. There are some gems there, but I'm not sure there are enough games to make it worth being the only gaming machine in the house. That said, Big N is still making money hand over fist with it, so what do I know? Also, if you like mostly RPGs, this is not the system for you. The DS has had more RPG releases in the last year than the Wii in its entire life.
That's why I say it's not for a real serious gamer. Makes the typical games easier for those of us with no thumb coordination. XD

Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Teaching Assistant

I love my Wii *snuggles*. But then I'm a 'just for fun' gamer as opposed to a serious gamer. I really like the "Mario Saving the Princess" games. ("Super Paper Mario" is a very fun game - but still not as awesome as the original "Super Mario RPG" for SNES. I loooooved that game!) It also has a lot of games in the puzzle/brainteaser/coordination genre. My PS2 is sitting on a shelf in my closet. I've always been a Nintendo gamer, and I hate hate hate PlayStation controllers. BT has a PS3 and he really likes it for the BlueRay player and sports games.

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS
Closed Thread

Tags
advice , game systems