X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
    So...uh...what do I do now?
    Nothing. Absolutely fucking nothing. Which, I am glad to see, is exactly what you DID do.

You owe this woman nothing. Not any food, not any contact, not even any further consideration. She "hired" you without having you accept the job, or talking money with you, or doing anything but say "you're hired!" and dictate what she wanted. This was not a conversation or a negotiation, but a monologue. She was, in essence, talking to herself.

No response of any kind by you is required. Give it no more thought. She's a loon.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    Cause you know that if you choose #2, she's going to be calling up the manager of that store and screaming & yelling at them cause some random customer in their store hasn't called her back to set up her party
    Actually, no. No matter WHICH way Mysty goes with this, you know the woman is going to go back to that store and bitch. Which will probably confuse the store's management, if they don't just get fed up with her and toss her right out the door.

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
    Don't be surprise that she expects you to do it for free, because "look at all the good contacts I got you" is her expected payment.
    I've had that argument used on me many times when people are trying to get a free magic show from me for a "charity." Half the time the charity isn't an actual charity, they people are just cheap, but even if it is a bonafide charity, I do free shows for charities when I CHOOSE to, NOT because of how many "contacts" I'll make.

By the way, for the record, I've been doing magic professionally for almost 13 years now, and have done a few shows for free. In all that time, from all those shows, you know how many "contacts" I made that contacted me for a future paying show?

Right. Zero.

This method of trying to persuade someone to do something for free is an absolute load of shit. Of course, a lot of the time people presenting this argument really think it will work, but the sad truth is that it really never does. At least, it never has for me.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    The only reason I'd call and tell her "no way" would be if the chances of running into her again were high and you wanted to (try) to prevent the mouth-frothing, "How dare you deny me! You ruined my party!" temper tantrum that she'd pull.
    Again, whatever path Mysty chooses, you know that if she runs into this loon again, the loon will go off on her.

To which I think the best response is not to pretend to not know her, but to lay right into her.

"Ex-CUSE me, but when you ALLEGEDLY hired me for your party, you never BOTHERED to ask if I would take the job, you never BOTHERED to ask me for my rates, you never BOTHERED to offer me any sort payment or deposit, and you never BOTHERED to even let me respond to anything you said. So why in the flying hell would I BOTHER to give you any consideration at all, since you never gave me any?

This conversation is OVER. Get out of my face NOW, or I WILL bother to call the authorities!"

Get louder than her, do not let HER get a word in edgewise, and shut her down harder than a steam roller. And do so very publicly so you can show her up in front of as many people as possible.

And that would be how I would handle THAT.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      You owe this woman nothing. Not any food, not any contact, not even any further consideration. She "hired" you without having you accept the job, or talking money with you, or doing anything but say "you're hired!" and dictate what she wanted. This was not a conversation or a negotiation, but a monologue. She was, in essence, talking to herself.
      Unless Mysty left out a detail, I don't think that woman even bothered to get the name of the chef she "hired". If the woman tries a public confrontation, the absence of that knowledge should be as dramatic as the Colonel lacking his ID in Rainman's story.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Actually, no. No matter WHICH way Mysty goes with this, you know the woman is going to go back to that store and bitch. Which will probably confuse the store's management, if they don't just get fed up with her and toss her right out the door.
        Store management is, in fact, the only group of people I'd give consideration to here - Mysty, you might want to give them a warning about this, in case nutjob turns up and you want to make sure management knows what the hell she's on about.

Then again, store management is probably well and truly used to handling nutjob customers.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeahhh. At this point I'm perfectly content to just quietly pretend this never happened and not go back to that store alone for a while.

Funny enough, used to when I was still in school, I'd go to the store whilst still in my class uniform, and have people following me around the store to see what I was going to buy. I imagine most of them were...perturbed by the chef school student mostly buying pre-made pizzas and microwave meals (after spending seven hours a day in class cooking to ridiculously exacting standards, I didn't want to do it any more by the time I got home!) and occasionally someone would even ask me (politely) for advice on recipes...but no one ever tried to HIRE me for anything, much less by force.
          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Personally I'm all for the "chuck the damn thing in the bin and have done with it" school of thought.

This person needs one of life's lessons and her finding herself the day before the event and not having a chef (and not being able to get one on such short notice) would go a long way to teaching her that maybe she ought to shut her pie hole long enough to hear what others are trying to tell her.
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              Personally I'm all for the "chuck the damn thing in the bin and have done with it" school of thought.
              Look up "One Pot Meals" for some excellent quick dump-it-in-together bachelor chow. We also used those when I used to camp with the scouts to save weight and cleanup time.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Look up "One Pot Meals" for some excellent quick dump-it-in-together bachelor chow. We also used those when I used to camp with the scouts to save weight and cleanup time.
                I am reminded of the episode of "Benson" (yes this ages me) where he made something.

I don't remember the details but he had prepared something for a bunch of rich entitled bastards and when he was asked what it was he replied "Shit on a Shingle"

Naturally the "shit" was edited out thanks to a conveniently timed ship's horn...but even 12 year old me knew what he was talking about.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth sylvier View Post
                  Just chuck her card and don't worry about anything. Seems like she forgot to get your contact info, so no harm no foul.
                  Part of me wants to come up with elaborate or evil things to do with the woman's name and address ... but really, nothing good will come of that either.

So yes, ignore it. Most likely she'll just harass someone else anyway.

besides even if you did call her up she'd probably not hear anything you said. including hearing things like "$10" if you say "$100" so... yeah best just ignore it and if you do happen to run into her again... don't even reply. Just keep on walking as if she doesn't exist.

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  I like business cards. I use them all the time and I always say thank you when someone gives me one. I won't accept the ones that are plastic and bendy, though.

I cut them in quarters, punch holes in the corner and use them for plant tags.
                  Aw.... cos my BF has a really nice one that's plastic. it kinda stands out when it's around the other boring paper ones.

i mean nothing flashy or sparkly - just black and plastic, one sided though cos the printing goes all the way through.

Comment

Working...
                  X