Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a college student, I have no love for towing companies around here, but the real people I hate are the properties which don't put nearly enough visitor parking in their lots. There's plenty of spots open, the lots are never full of just residential parking. The visitor slots are almost always full.

Inevitably, when in that neighborhood, someone gets towed. Why? Because there have been occasions when every single visitor spot is full... And the nearest free parking is two miles away.

Luckily, I've never been towed. I don't plan on parking illegally. But it's situations like that which frustrate me.

Sorry for the rant... and possible dip into fratching territory, but reading this thread just reminds me.

Of course, more on topic, the kid's a moron, and the dad was worse. Sounds like they have no idea how the bank system works when you use a debit card.

Comment

I'm not going to derail the thread on purpose, but, I will say this: There is absolutely NO requirement, legal or otherwise, to even PROVIDE visitor parking, so I have no sympathy for people who won't follow VP rules, the fact they even offer it is a generous concession when you come down to it.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I'd say our equivalent around here is the dreaded Calendar Parking. Granted, I don't think anyone gets towed, but tickets abound like crazy because people don't know or care about it. Every year between November and April/May (not sure which one) regardless of how soon spring and nice weather comes, you have to park on the odd side of the street at night on odd numbered days, and even on even numbered days.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Do whu...? Blas, why is that?
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
            Do whu...? Blas, why is that?
            Snow removal. In particular snow removal cleanup most likely. By forcing people to one side of the street or the other, they can send trucks and blowers down the non-parking side to trim back the snowbanks after the snow storm plowing is done.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
              Snow removal...
              And/or wino discovery. (a cousin's tales from Fairbanks)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We have Calendar Parking here year round. And on many streets, alternating-side parking depending on rush hour. And yes, the WILL tow.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

"Alternate side parking" is very common in NYC and surrounding areas. It started as a way to allow the streets to be cleaned, but evolved into a huge revenue source for the municipalities. On my block, for instance, you can't park on my side on Tuesdays from 10:30a to 12:30p, and on the other side on Wednesdays during the same times; it only takes the sweeper truck a minute or two to pass by, but they'll ticket you any time during those hours, regardless of if you blocked the sweeper or not. In this city they'd tow your car too. This ostensibly was to clear the street so the sweeper could get by, but they'd tow you even if they weren't running the sweepers that day (bad weather, etc.) or even if the sweeper had passed already. (This lasted until the mayor of our city landed in jail for corruption, and the new mayor stopped the practise.)

In Union City, it was more sensible. The signs said "No Parking 8-10 AM", but they wouldn't bother you if the sweeper had passed already. This led to a curious slow-motion parade every morning: first the three-wheeled Grumman police scooter to ticket the cars that were still there, then the tow trucks to clear them away, then the sweeper truck, then the whole line of cars waiting to park...

In NYC people would just accept the tickets as a cost of doing business in the city. Since ticketing didn't work, they started stickering cars that blocked the sweepers. This didn't deter them either. What finally stopped them was when the sweeper trucks started playing at high volume a recording of Mayor Koch berating the illegal parkers. Nobody wanted to hear that voice, you can bet; as soon as you heard from outside "Dis is Ed Koch, yaw mayor...", everyone would grab the keys and run.
                  Last edited by Shalom; 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Love your humor. Good thing you can find something to laugh about. I don't understand how people can't comprehend the simplist of things. Such as the tow away notice and then the reversal on the credit card statement. If dear daddy was so worried about his son, then he should have given him some money. And last I checked, college books are expensive. No way $80 would buy that and grocries.

Comment

No way $80 would buy an attorney to go after that $80.

Comment

Your posts are by far my favorite to read! I love your attitude. The hardest part about working in customer service I think is taking the customer's anger personally, like they're mad at you, and most of the time that isn't the case. You don't seem to let anything bother you and that's awesome. I hope to get to that point some day. Your stories are hilarious!

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                          No way $80 would buy an attorney to go after that $80.
                          No and couldn't the fool just wait or even borrow some from the good friend who fronted him the towing fee?
                          Also how much will the phone bill be for all those calls?
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            "Alternate side parking" is very common in NYC and surrounding areas.
                            I was going to say something along the same lines. Since I grew up in NJ and listened to NYC radio stations, as I was getting ready for school in the morning I'd often hear something about whether or not the "Alternate Side of the Street Parking Rules" were in effect that day.

Another thing about NYC is that there is almost (if not completely) ZERO free parking. If you live there and can afford it, you probably park in your own building's garage and pay your landlord for the privilege. If you live in lesser quarters and you own a car you are at the mercy of privately-owned indoor parking garages ($$$), parking lots ($$), or the good old parking meter ($ plus having to run out and put more money in if you're allowed to say longer in the first place). People who live in less crowded areas and have plenty of free parking, or at least usually, seem to be clueless when it comes to parking rules elsewhere.
                            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

All of these examples are precisely why I never drive in DC if I can help it.

I park in a park and drive and take the subway.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                                All of these examples are precisely why I never drive in DC if I can help it. I park in a park and drive and take the subway.
                                I meant to say something along those lines in my reply about NYC as well. I rarely drove into the city...I know I did it once or twice but can't remember why. Mostly we took the bus or train from the Jersey suburbs...and traveled by foot or subway in Manhattan. I did the same thing in DC, and for the most part I really love their Metro system.
                                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X