X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ID major malfunctions and a headache

Story 1 or "I'm a grown ass man!"

A customer came up with a parental advisory CD. He claimed to be a frequent customer.

Me: Sir, could I see some photo ID?
    Him: I buy my CDs here all the time! Can't you look up my Reward Zones to see my age or something?
    Me: No. Reward Zones wouldn't tell me your birthdate.
    Him: But I come in all the time!
    Me: I still need to see photo ID.
    Him: But it's in the car!
    Me: I need to see it.
    Him: *grumble mumble, goes to the car, returns while I'm serving other customers*
    Me: *pulling out CD from under the counter* Alright sir. Got that photo ID?
    Him: Yeah, I got it.

*transaction proceeds as normal*
    Him: That's a dumbass rule.
    Me: Well, sir, if you feel that way go to www.blah, blah,BBuyblah,blah.com and tell corporate your opinion.
    Him: I ain't gonna do that. But it's a dumbass rule!

....Ok, you're gonna bitch me out about it but you won't tell corporate how you feel about it? That's dumb as hell!

Story 2 or You must be new, right?

Another customer with another parental advisory CD.

Me: Could I see some photo Id, sir?
    Him: What? What do you need to see that for?
    Me: This is a parental advisory CD.
    Him: So? I'm 30 years old!
    Me: I don't know that. I need to see your photo ID.
    Him: What? That's dumb.
    Me: That's policy.
    Him: You must be new or something.
    Me: No, I'm following policy.
    Him: Aw c'mon! Can't you tell?
    Me: No. Show me your ID.
    Him: *shows me the ID, and he's of age*
    Me: Thanks very much, sir!
    Him: Did you just start or somethin'?
    Me: No. I like my job, I wanna keep my job, and I don't wanna pay $5000 out of my pocket for you. I don't know you.
    Him: Well whatever. It's a stupid policy.
    Me: Well, go to www.blah, blah,BBuyblah,blah.com and tell them your opinion, sir. Have a nice day.

What is with men and showing their photo ID? Women NEVER give me this much grief about it. And now...

Mr. Headache

Me: How are you doing today, sir? Did you find everything you were looking for today?
    Him: Oh yes, I did. I found everything and I got a headache.
    Me: *going through transaction*
    Him: You need to tell your manager that music is too loud.
    Me:
    Him: The music is too loud, and it gave me a headache!
    Me: I'm sorry, sir, but we don't control it here--
    Him: SOMEBODY CONTROLS IT!
    Me: What I meant, sir, is that the Media department controls it.
    Him: Well you need to tell your manager to turn it down!
    Me: Would you like to tell her yourself?
    Him: No....but you tell her a customer complained! This music is TOO DAMN LOUD! *storms off*
    Me: ... Why do I always get the psycho ones?

We carded a guy today for a copy of 300. He was almost taken aback. He said he gets carded more at Circuit City than at bars.

Then he stammered that he was flattered ^__^ I love those ones. I'll mail him over to you or something to buy a violent dvd.

Comment

I'm 37. I still occasionally get carded, though not nearly as much as I did just a few years ago in my early 30's. (Good lord, how did I get this old?)

I take it as a compliment, and frankly, am bummed that I don't get carded more. Part of it certainly because this is a small town, and I am well known about town. I definitely got carded a lot more last summer on my road trip.

Of course, if I ever shave this goatee, I will probably start getting carded a lot more often than I do now. Problem is, I like the goatee, as do most people who know me. Of course, my mom and two of my best friends are notable and vocal exceptions to this.

I know how you feel, though. I have commented often on the headaches of people and their ID. My favorites are these guys...

SC: "I'll have a [alcoholic drink of some sort]."
      JESTER: "Certainly, sir. May I see your ID, please?"
      SC: "What? But I'm [whatever age]!"
      JESTER: "I am not doubting you, sir, but state law requires that I ask you for you ID if you appear to be 30 or under to me."
      SC: (reaching for their ID) "This is silly! Buddy, I'm a cop!"
      JESTER: "Then YOU, sir, should know that I have to do this."
      SC: (stunned defeated silence)
      JESTER: "Thank you sir. I'll be right back with your drink."

I can't tell you how many 20/30 something aged cops this scenario has played out with, but it is significant.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I'm 37. I still occasionally get carded, though not nearly as much as I did just a few years ago in my early 30's. (Good lord, how did I get this old?)

I take it as a compliment, and frankly, am bummed that I don't get carded more. Part of it certainly because this is a small town, and I am well known about town. I definitely got carded a lot more last summer on my road trip.

Of course, if I ever shave this goatee, I will probably start getting carded a lot more often than I do now. Problem is, I like the goatee, as do most people who know me. Of course, my mom and two of my best friends are notable and vocal exceptions to this.

I know how you feel, though. I have commented often on the headaches of people and their ID. My favorites are these guys...

SC: "I'll have a [alcoholic drink of some sort]."
        JESTER: "Certainly, sir. May I see your ID, please?"
        SC: "What? But I'm [whatever age]!"
        JESTER: "I am not doubting you, sir, but state law requires that I ask you for you ID if you appear to be 30 or under to me."
        SC: (reaching for their ID) "This is silly! Buddy, I'm a cop!"
        JESTER: "Then YOU, sir, should know that I have to do this."
        SC: (stunned defeated silence)
        JESTER: "Thank you sir. I'll be right back with your drink."

I can't tell you how many 20/30 something aged cops this scenario has played out with, but it is significant.
        Here we get "But I'm in the military! You have be be at least 18 to do that!" To which I reply, "No. You can be 17 with your parent's permission." In fact, I can't TELL you how many of 'em ask me "Do you have a military discount?" No, we don't. "Well why not? This is a military town!" And then I just sigh.

Comment

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post
          Here we get "But I'm in the military! You have be be at least 18 to do that!" To which I reply, "No. You can be 17 with your parent's permission." In fact, I can't TELL you how many of 'em ask me "Do you have a military discount?" No, we don't. "Well why not? This is a military town!" And then I just sigh.
          I get that same crap with military guys who are ordering drinks. Usually from the ones who are not, in fact, 21 or older (the legal drinking age). Their argument is usually along the lines of "so, I can fight, get injured, and maybe even die for my country, but you won't serve me a drink?" My response is simple: "Not unless you show me your ID or the law that I work under changes. I respect what you do, I don't like the law, and I don't agree with the law, but it is still, in fact, the law. And I am not about to lose my job and risk legal problems for someone I just met. Nothing personal." And the only ones who take it personally are the ones who for some reason can't produce an ID.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

In fact, I can't TELL you how many of 'em ask me "Do you have a military discount?" No, we don't. "Well why not? This is a military town!" And then I just sigh.
            Which just means that you'd give the discount to almost everyone in town. Which would make the military discount your regular price.

Hm. Maybe you should just print your 'military discount' price and put that on everything?
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Him: You must be new or something.
              Me: No, I'm following policy.
              Customers always pull that crap but I am glad that you said I'm following policy. its not about being new, its about following the rules that the STORE, BANK or anywhere else keep forcing down our throats. I don't care if you are a regular, some of these cashiers, tellers, clerks, whatever should stop letting these customers off the darn hook most of the time.That's the reason why there is so many fraud going around.

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                Customers always pull that crap but I am glad that you said I'm following policy. its not about being new, its about following the rules that the STORE, BANK or anywhere else keep forcing down our throats. I don't care if you are a regular, some of these cashiers, tellers, clerks, whatever should stop letting these customers off the darn hook most of the time.That's the reason why there is so many fraud going around.
                I get that all the time at the Copy Center. We tell people, no, we can't copy that due to copyrights or legal reasons (ID's, passports, government forms). I also got that one time due to the fact that a customer took a picture, at low megapixel, and at the wrong angle and wanted us to make it a certain size, with certain requirements (face height being certain size, arm being certain length). I told her it could not be done due to how the picture was taken.

Comment

I never get carded anymore except at some restaurants. Liquor stores, most other places don't even blink.

I'm only 23!

Comment

Since I've worn a full beard almost constantly since about age 23, I don't get carded often. But when I do, I just produce my ID. I've worked in convenience store hell, I don't need to be another cashier's SC for the day.

Comment

I rarely get carded. Maybe it's because of the grey hair starting to appear?
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I don't get carded as often as I should. I don't think I look my age, but seems to me that since I cut my hair short, which makes me look older, I've gotten carded far more consistently. No, I'm not trying to look older than I really am... but I guess that's the impression I give off.
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

I'm 38, and the other night I went to Karaoke with a few friends of mine

and went I went to the bar to get a beer, the young lady at the bar asked me for my id.
                          Even though I've been able to legally drink now for close to 20 years, and you can even see a touch of grey in my goatee, did I flip out about it?
                          No - I simply smiled and showed her my id.

If you want to gather honey, don't knock over the beehive, stupid!
                          Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
                          mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

I think its funny when people who are born in 1985 get shocked when I card them. I can understand if they're born in 1975 but not 85. They think just because they turned 21 we all have the power to instantly tell. I've carded thirty year olds before, its hard to tell and not worth loosing your job over.

Comment

Me: What I meant, sir, is that the Media department controls it.
                              Him: Well you need to tell your manager to turn it down!
                              Me: Would you like to tell her yourself?
                              Him: No....but you tell her a customer complained! This music is TOO DAMN LOUD! *storms off*
                              Me: ... Why do I always get the psycho ones?
                              Ugh, you don't work at my local Best Buy, do you?

I made a specific complaint to the store manager about the music being way to loud and that douchebag said they had to have it like that to show off their stereos and speakers and that I could leave if it bothered me.

I refuse to set foot in that place ever again. The other one that's not quite local is much nicer. But they're still overpriced on what items I've ever priced with them.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X