X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas87 View Post
    Sean John (spelling?)
    To the best of my knowledge, you spelled it correctly.

On another note, I laugh at the stupidity. Why? Sean is the Gaelic form of John (more or less).
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's funny to me that many of you here associate Jnco's with "gangsta" in my high school the "punks" and the "metal-heads" wore Jnco's, the "gangstas" wore mostly phat farm and Fubu.

I went to an interesting high school though. Half the kids were upper-middle class, and the other half were below the poverty line as a result of Town A going bankrupt and essentially being purchased by Town B back in the 70's. The nice part of town stayed nice, and the poorer sections only got poorer when the clothing mills went under.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

The only brand of really huge jeans I remember from high school was JNCOs. I don't recall seeing ecko or phat farm around 1996. There were probably other brands as well.

I guess JNCO is just a standard term I use for really really wide-leg jeans.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We had a lot of really stupid fashions in the 80's, but nothing like the stupidity of the sagging baggy crowd. I have to fight to resist the urge to bleat at them and call them sheople.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            We have both banned in the site rules, save for occasions such as this where they are under discussion, or where a customer is being quoted verbatim. We don't need to bring that one out often, I'm pleased to say.

Rapscallion
            I've always know a "cracker" to be someone who uses a script to crack passwords. Also known as a "script kiddie". Real hackers don't like to be lumped with these guys.

I didn't find out about the "bad" version of that word until I became an adult and was able to interact more online.

I had an isolated childhood, apparently.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              We had a lot of really stupid fashions in the 80's, but nothing like the stupidity of the sagging baggy crowd.
              I'd take 80s fashion over today's fashion anyday. But then again I'm not a big fan of fashion to begin with. Right now at the college campuses and in some areas North Face (An outdoor brand) is commonly seen right now. That stuff is the SUV of clothing, meant for the outdoors but popular courtesy of the soccer mom and the college kids. Granted I own a few pieces of NF clothing but that stuff gets abused outside. I bet 20 years from now this whole gangsta thing will make a comeback. *moans.*
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Any kid, black or white, who wants to be a gangbanger or who thinks gangbangers are "cool" should be sent to Iraq for a six month tour. That'll scare 'em into actually doing something valid with their lives. It pains me to think that men and women are putting their lives on the line every day to defend the freedom of kids to grow up and break the law.

Funny historical sidebar: when I was a teenager, a gangbanger was a chick who did more than one guy at a time.

Ahh, how language evolves through the ages......
                Total surrender
                Your touch is so tender
                Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                And it brings me relief
                "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Heh um, so I didn't realize JNCO was gang related. And here we raver kids just wore it. Oops?
                  Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

The gang banger wannabe's want to be respected, but then they do something stupid. Then they complain again, that no one respects them
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      FUBU= Find Us Belts Urgently

So true!

I remember FUBU popping up towards the end of my high school years. I swear that jeans are just getting baggier and baggier. Soon, these kids will by vying for their own pair of Hammer Pants.
                      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

When I was in high school (graduated in 1996), I recall the ravers/burnouts/kids-who-would-be-called-emo-now seemingly were having a contest on who could wear pants with the most ridiculous leg circumfrence. I've always been a big dude, and these kids who were like 1/4th my size would wear pants I'd have been swimming in.
                        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          We have both banned in the site rules, save for occasions such as this where they are under discussion, or where a customer is being quoted verbatim. We don't need to bring that one out often, I'm pleased to say.
                          What? I can't use the word cracker? When did this happen?

NOW what am I supposed to call those tasty things I serve with my garlic onion dip?

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          We had a lot of really stupid fashions in the 80's, but nothing like the stupidity of the sagging baggy crowd. I have to fight to resist the urge to bleat at them and call them sheople.
                          Yes, the overly baggy pants are ridiculous.

But to say we had nothing in the eighties to match them in stupidity is just using selective memory. We had some REALLY stupid fashion going on back then.

I submit to you the following exhibits as evidence:

Big hair.
                          Banana clips.
                          Leg warmers.
                          Sweatshirts with the sleeves and collars cut out.
                          Members only jackets.
                          Garish colors.
                          That red Michael Jackson jacket.
                          Parachute pants.
                          Izod.
                          Swatches.
                          Jelly bracelets. (Making a comeback lately, too.)
                          Wearing collars up.
                          Jogging suits.
                          Messages/designs shaved into heads.
                          Madonna and Cyndi Lauper as fashion plates. And all the fashions they spawned.
                          (To their credit, I did groove on all the girls wearing bustiers and such. )

Having recently attended an adult "80's Prom" and being reminded about many of these, I have to say that overly baggy pants and shorts? Not nearly as stupid as what passed for hip fashion in the eighties.

Jester, Class of '88

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            NOW what am I supposed to call those tasty things I serve with my garlic onion dip?
                            Garnish?
                            *taps her chin to think* Chips?
                            Scoops!

... That'll do, Pig.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I submit to you the following exhibits as evidence:

Big hair.
                              Banana clips.
                              Leg warmers.
                              Sweatshirts with the sleeves and collars cut out.
                              Members only jackets.
                              Garish colors.
                              That red Michael Jackson jacket.
                              Parachute pants.
                              Izod.
                              Swatches.
                              Jelly bracelets. (Making a comeback lately, too.)
                              Wearing collars up.
                              Jogging suits.
                              Messages/designs shaved into heads.
                              Madonna and Cyndi Lauper as fashion plates. And all the fashions they spawned.
                              You forgot about girls wearing 6 pairs of differently colored neon socks, and also the multi-layered skirts that were oh so cool. There were also the jelly shoes to go with the jelly bracelets that were the hottest stickiest nastiest shoes ever invented. And quite possibly the stupidest one of all Unitards for grown adult women.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                                One word for you: JNCOs
                                Two more: Cross Colors

These were the brands favored by the white wannabe gangsters at my high school. I often wondered how they walked or climbed stairs without tripping over their huge-ass pants.
                                Oh, argh. My youngest stepson went through a JNCO phase. Everything had to have that on it. My husband is tall and thin, and his youngest son, well, isn't. He's nearly 17 and about 5'6" and on the average-to-stocky side. He insists on buying his pants about 4" longer than he really needs, so that the cuffs get all shredded from being flapped about underfoot. He's not so bad with the pants-falling-down bit, but his best friend is. The kid is nice and courteous and all, but every time I see him I want to yank his pants up. And it's gone beyond the trend of showing your undies because your pants are too big; now the kids are wearing more-or-less fitting pants that they deliberately pull down around their hips. I don't get it at all. When I was that age, it was mortifyingly dorky to have visible underwear.
                                He loves the world...except for all the people.
                                --Men at Work

Comment

Working...
                                X