This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth KatherineB View Post
    I'm sorry, stupid question from an Aussie who has always pumped her own petrol - why would they stop you? Do they assume you won't pay it if you do it yourself, or is it a health-and-safety issue, or is it just tradition?
    Its illegal. NJ and Oregon still have the active laws that were passed in the 40's-50's (ish) when it was considered 'dangerous'.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
      Its illegal. NJ and Oregon still have the active laws that were passed in the 40's-50's (ish) when it was considered 'dangerous'.
      I'm betting their drive-off rates are also a lot lower too. Not *entirely* zero, since there are scam artists, but ... I'm sure they're significantly lower than that in the other states.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
        If I recall correctly, both states make an exception for diesel (lobbying by truck stop owners - and a source of amusement/annoyance for TDI owners, depending on whether the station attendant knows this and allows "pump it yourself" while other customers ask why that customer is allowed but they're not, or whether the attendant doesn't know, and the TDI owner wants to do the vent trick to get the maximum possible fill). Also, at least one of them makes an exception for motorcycles - the result of a lawsuit from when a full-serve attendant scratched the paint on a fuel tank with a 4-figure custom paint job.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X