This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    The fire dept. ripped the guy a new one and threatened to charge him criminally AND fine him for amount of time they spent at my station (LOTS of water was dumped down that sewer over the hour they were there.
    I'm shocked he wasn't, in a situation like this (and I've dealt with far too many of them) an environmental hazmat team frequently gets called out. The offender gets a HUGE bill from the local police, the fire department and the hazmat team and more than likely gets a ticket of some sort as well.

Comment

You know what I do when I find a pump that doesn't have any sort of clip?

I curse and stand there and hold the damn thing, all the while making a mental note not to use that pump again...or that station, if it's a repeat offender.

You know what I don't do?
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Admittedly, it doesn't get snowy where I live. But when I was still driving, even with pumps with a shutoff, I'd hold the pump with my finger lightly on the trigger. Not to keep it pushed back, but to get tactile as well as an auditory cue for when the tank was full.

My father taught me to respect gasoline. (And other potential explosives.)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Well, it also doesn't say, "Don't put the nozzle in your mouth and drink the fuel" but most people have the common sense not to do that!

That's a good comeback. I wish I'd have thought of that when dealing w/old Sign Guy. "Well there's no sign that's says to set fire to the building but most people don't!" His response probably would've been like "Durrrrr???? Don't be a smartass, you young whippersnapper! Blablabla..."
          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
            You know what I do when I find a pump that doesn't have any sort of clip?

I curse and stand there and hold the damn thing, all the while making a mental note not to use that pump again...or that station, if it's a repeat offender.

You know what I don't do?
            Many stations I've seen have signs that tell you to not trust the clip and remain with your vehicle - you will be paying for any gas spilled because the clip didn't disengage when the tank was full...

Comment

Here in the UK (which is where OP is from I think?) I've never been to a station that had functioning clips; I'm pretty sure unattended delivery is against the law, but at the very least it's an industry-wide thing, and nobody sells any third party devices to use instead.

10/10 for ingenuity, but minus several million for execution.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Me, I,have trouble with the nozzle staying engaged... I always get the ones that i have to go back and forth with before I can get it to stay on and fuel me. Its a delicate balance and I have to stay and hold it.

Comment

When I get a new vehicle, I always listen to the sound of the tank filling, at least a few times, to make sure the auto-shut off works at the level it's suppose to. I had one car that no matter what pump, I had to watch it, because the auto shut off rarely worked.

Oh, and the pumps also don't state, "Don't pour gasoline on self and light," but then, there's a reason electric blow dryers say, "DO NOT USE WHILE TAKING SHOWER."
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I have trouble with the ones that don't have the latch, because of hand/wrist strength. It can be quite painful to have to crunch my hand down that hard for that long. One reason DH usually handles getting gas.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                      Here in the UK (which is where OP is from I think?) I've never been to a station that had functioning clips; I'm pretty sure unattended delivery is against the law, but at the very least it's an industry-wide thing, and nobody sells any third party devices to use instead.

10/10 for ingenuity, but minus several million for execution.
                      Exactly; the shut off sometimes doesn't work, but if you are holding the pump, you can at least save yourself some money (and being splattered with fuel) by unclicking the trigger. A lipstick can't do that.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Admittedly, it doesn't get snowy where I live. But when I was still driving, even with pumps with a shutoff, I'd hold the pump with my finger lightly on the trigger. Not to keep it pushed back, but to get tactile as well as an auditory cue for when the tank was full.

I hold it somewhat lightly as well and when I hear a click and the flow stops, then I know my tank is full.

Now if the price on the screen is a few cents shy of an dollar amount, I'll pump until I get to a dollar amount w/no change . . . it's easier to balance the bank account that way if I'm using debit. But I won't run it past . . . too concerned I might overfill the tank, or cause a spill.

And it amazes me how many folks I've seen at the pump let the pump run by itself and they either wander away from the vehicle or will sit inside the vehicle and yap on their phone. I must be the only person on the planet that holds the handle and watches the screen so I don't go over what I'm planning to put in.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          I wish this was taught to all people. Always respect potential explosives.

Yes, I joke about flamethrowers in my signature, but I respect flamethrowers and the fuel.
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Here in Australia the clips on the trigger have been removed/disabled since all petrol stations went self service some years ago. You have to stand at the pump and hold the trigger.

As well, the auto-cutoff is on a hair trigger. All the cars I have owned will not fill at the full speed. If you try you will get about 1/4 litre before it stops.

I understand why it is like that.

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                              Here in Australia the clips on the trigger have been removed/disabled since all petrol stations went self service some years ago. You have to stand at the pump and hold the trigger.

As well, the auto-cutoff is on a hair trigger. All the cars I have owned will not fill at the full speed. If you try you will get about 1/4 litre before it stops.

I understand why it is like that.
                              Being old, I remember the UK doing the same, when attended service stopped being a thing.

However, having worked as an attendant back when 4 star petrol still existed, the whole hair trigger thing can be to do with the design of the filler neck on the car. On some cars, turning the nozzle slightly left or right, or pulling it back an inch can allow you to go full flow. YMMV, and don't try this then jam the nozzle open with a lipstick!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                My dad did too. It was called "let's pour gasoline on a bonfire.. can't possible go wrong!" Only to watch the fire follow the flow and set the canister on fire and gave my dad a nice burn. Melted part of a tent too. It's amazing how that will stick in a smart person's mind..

I use the clips, just so I can put my hands in my pocket if it's cold. But I am usually leaning against the car, next to the flap, so I can hear the change in sounds that signal it's time to remove the nozzle. But I think they ought to be removed, given how many times I'll see someone "pumping" gas, while sitting in their car, playing on their blasted phones.
                                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                                X