This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
    I was VERY VERY tempted to hit this guy I was so angry. Its one thing to get yelled at when you are at work. But to be basically attacked on your way home for something that doesn't involve you at all is terrifying!
    He was grabbing your arm. On the subway. That's one of the cases where it's pretty much okay to hit someone. In fact, you were well within your rights to beat the fucking shit out of him. That was an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. I would not have even spoken to him; the instant his grip closed on my arm, I would have started swinging (at the nose, but aiming for the back of his head) and not stopped until he was neutralized. Then called the cops. And pressed charges.

There's no "tempted" about it. Being polite could get you hurt, or worse. If a complete stranger is grabbing you on a subway train, there's no time to think about whether or not his feelings are going to be hurt if you take a swing at him. He initiated conflict. He has to learn that there are consequences to that action. Protect, escape, neutralize (or retaliate, depending on whose teaching the class that day ^_^). At the very least, start screaming and don't stop 'til he lets go, especially on a crowded train car.

Comment

Uber-paraniod possibility: The GS paid the "psycho" to assault you so that he (the GS) could step in and save you.

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
        He was grabbing your arm. On the subway. That's one of the cases where it's pretty much okay to hit someone. In fact, you were well within your rights to beat the fucking shit out of him. That was an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. I would not have even spoken to him; the instant his grip closed on my arm, I would have started swinging (at the nose, but aiming for the back of his head) and not stopped until he was neutralized. Then called the cops. And pressed charges.

There's no "tempted" about it. Being polite could get you hurt, or worse. If a complete stranger is grabbing you on a subway train, there's no time to think about whether or not his feelings are going to be hurt if you take a swing at him. He initiated conflict. He has to learn that there are consequences to that action. Protect, escape, neutralize (or retaliate, depending on whose teaching the class that day ^_^). At the very least, start screaming and don't stop 'til he lets go, especially on a crowded train car.
        It was scary but it could of ended up a lot worse had violence entered the equation. However my reaction is one that I felt was appropriate and One am fairly proud of.

Comment

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
          I Also forgot to get GS's name as well (which I regret cause he was uber nice!)
          Was he cute?
          Quoth Stryker One View Post
          Uber-paraniod possibility: The GS paid the "psycho" to assault you so that he (the GS) could step in and save you.
          If it was a set up, he probably would have found a segue to slip his number in or something.
          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

I probably would have started to scream. I don't think I could've kept my cool in that situation. I'm glad you did and I'm glad that someone stepped up to help you. And I am shocked that anybody would ever do that. Makes me want to learn self defense and have some pepper spray...

Comment

Quoth froglet View Post
              Was he cute?

If it was a set up, he probably would have found a segue to slip his number in or something.
              He was cute however I am very happily taken and he was about 10 years older than me (I'm 21) And he didn't attempt anything like that. Just made sure i was OK and then went away again.

Comment

im just shocked that only ONE person on a crowded train tried to help you!

Comment

We all hope we'd do the right thing, if we were int he same situation, but you can't tell what you would actually do.

Some of them are scared, some them are apathetic, some of them don't want to get into trouble. Most of them probably assessed that the result wouldn't be worth the trouble or that the risk/gain ration wasn't good enough for them to attempt anything.

I think I would have stood up. However, not knowing how big the guy was, how threatening he looked like, I can't tell with 100% certainty I would have moved. I might just have called the police, saying I was witnessing assault. Or I would have cowered in my corner of the train, hoping Mr. Big Ugly Meany Psycho doesn't turn on me next.
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth sunnyswipe View Post
                    im just shocked that only ONE person on a crowded train tried to help you!
                    Yeah seriously, I'm not a big guy... but even I would have cold-cocked that lunatic in the back of the head. You just don't do that crap, to anyone, ESPECIALLY a woman.
                    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I would've screamed (and I can scream LOUDLY) and then bopped him in the throat. NOTHING gives ANYONE the right to grab you like that. Find out if the train has a camera system, ask them for a copy of the tape and go to the police. At the very least, they'll be able to get a description of the psycho, and see if anyone else has reported being harrassed in a similar manner.

What a friggin snotrag.
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Just gotta love the posters who say "If that had happened to me I would have blah blah blah"

No you wouldn't have. You would have done the same thing likely as the OP. So stop bloviating.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                          Just gotta love the posters who say "If that had happened to me I would have blah blah blah"

No you wouldn't have. You would have done the same thing likely as the OP. So stop bloviating.
                          Do you know me? No, so don't say what I would or would not do...

I am a very protective person, both of myself, and others. So yes, I would have attacked him. It's an instinctual reaction for me.
                          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

It's in a situation like this where a (literal) knee jerk rection comes in handy.

and belle, it isn't polite to be presumptious about other people as we all have different ingrained ways of reacting to certain kinds of situations. Some people may not know how they'd react in a situation like this, some people do.
                            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Some people HAVE had to react to situations like this, unfortunately, so they can pretty well say what they would or wouldn't do. Just something to consider.

This is why I wish that everyone, regardless of age, gender, etc., would take a self-defense course or two. I've gone as far as to force training on a couple of my friends who were of the "it can't happen to me!" mold by just randomly pouncing on them until they got sick of it and agreed to go . Rude and pushy, yes, but paid off in the end because at least one of them that I know of needed that training later.
                              "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I like the idea of pressing charges, getting a copy of any train surveillance, etc. Problem with that is without the guy's name, pressing charges is kind of, well, moot. Now, if you managed to get his name after he calls into Corporate, that's another matter.

One thing I would definately do is let your boss know that this happened BECAUSE you were wearing your name badge soon. At least then they can be on the look out for a guy to call and mention that he "bumped into" an employee on the train. If your company has half a brain (heh) they'll ban the customer. No company needs that kind of customer, or publicity (as he might do it again in the future and step his "efforts" up a notch.

What would I do in that situation? No clue. I've been very fortunate to only have been "approached" once. Mugging from behind. Threw my purse as far as I could and ran like hell to the security station in the parking garage. I like to think, however, that I would have the presence of mind to be as polite about it as you were, and to at least get the guy's name in and "effort to help" his crappy experience, then take the name and the GS Witness to the police. People like that need to be taught a lesson with the full force of the hammer of the law (and the full force of cell mate Bubba )
                                Last edited by FenigDurak; 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM. Reason: Muddled metaphor

Comment

Working...
                                X