Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like especially to use Andouille sausage with the taters n' onions recipe, since you get a nice Cajun kick to the flavor that way. During the boiling phase, the spiciness of the sausage works its way into everything, along with the flavor from the herbs and onions and garlic. Delicious! Another delicious, simple idea--Next time you're grilling a steak or pork or heck, chicken, slice some onions up along with some fresh button mushrooms and mince some garlic. Saute the mushroom, garlic and onion in melted butter until golden and top the freshly grilled meat with it. Add a little steak sauce, and yummy!
    Last edited by Barracuda; 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

http://www.ehow.com/how_8365614_core-onion.html

I'm not a cook, but I love onions (but can't eat them) so I wanted to contribute

Comment

Quoth Amusement Gal View Post
        I would totally do this, but knowing my mother, most of the Champagne would go into her mouth.
        Reminds me of that classic phrase: "I cook with wine. And sometimes some of it even makes it into the pot."

Quoth Divra View Post
        My mother makes tomato and onion salad every summer.
        This reminds me of the Iranian Salad, though I can't figure out how I could have forgotten it in the first place, as it is a great way to use onions. (Although admittedly, it is generally made with red onions.)

Chop up half an onion, a cucumber, and a big ole tomato. Mix in a bowl with parsley (which I usually omit), a tablespoon of olive oil, and the juice of one lime. Add some salt and pepper, and you have some serious eating! One of the best lettuceless salads ever.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Hmm, good idea Jester. Omit the cucumber and add a little more lime juice and cilantro, with your favorite raw whitefish, chopped, and you have a nice fresh sedichay. The citrus in the lime will actually "cook" the fish when you mix it together.

Comment

French Fried onions like what's in the can are yummy.
            Float some in soup, mmmmmmm!!! On on sandwichs.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Did anyone mention onion rings yet? Easy in the toaster oven.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Did anyone mention onion rings yet? Easy in the toaster oven.
                We're planning on doing some beer-battered ones later on when we have the time.
                My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

For the baked stuffed onions to stay "standing", I usually cut one end off the onion to keep it flat (only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch), then I cut the same way about 3/4 up the onion and use a spoon to take out the middle (I leave about a 1/4 inch around the sides. Follow to "rings" inside for a guide. Then use the onion parts you scooped out in whatever stuffing you want (I like mild sausage and yellow rice).
                  Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Onion pickles, middle eastern style as I cheat and do it

Take a 1 quart ball canning jar, put 2 or 4 mint teabags [celestial seasonings links 2 bags together so one or 2 of the full rectangles] all the way in the bottom. Put 2 really full drippy tablespoons of honey in next. Now cut whole peeled onions into wedges [eighths are fine] and start fitting them in so you pack as much onion in as possible. When you have really packed the onions in, top off with real apple cider vinegar [not apple flavored, check the ingredients to make sure it is made from apple cider] close the lid and shake until the honey is all dissolved. Shove into the back of the fridge and ignore overnight. Shake again, and serve. It is good in the frige for a week or two if they last that long. You can keep adding more onions to the vinegar as long as you like or get bored with onion pickles.

[I tend to keep onions pickles and salted lemon pickles in the fridge for random using]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I can't believe I didn't think of onion/cheese bread. I don't have a recipe, though.

Comment

I don't know that you need a recipe for onion cheese bread. Just your imagination.

Oh, wait...I'm thinking of the garlic bread kind of cheese bread. If you're thinking of the baked onion bread kind of thing, yeah, you'd need a recipe for that.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          I don't know that you need a recipe for onion cheese bread. Just your imagination.

Oh, wait...I'm thinking of the garlic bread kind of cheese bread. If you're thinking of the baked onion bread kind of thing, yeah, you'd need a recipe for that.
                          Hm, make a basic italian bread/cibatta recipe, saute a bunch of onions, garlic and fresh chopped basil. Gently roll out the bread dough into a rectangle after the first rise and punchdown and spread the sauteed allium glop and roll the dough into a loaf, pop into a loaf pan for the second rise, bake as usual. Just a guess though.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yes, but I'm thinking of a bread that has cheddar and onion bits throughout the dough, rather than stuffed. Sometimes you can find kaiser rolls like that, which make fab sammiches. There's enough cheese that the rolls are yellow, unless that's food color. Either way--yum.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              Yes, but I'm thinking of a bread that has cheddar and onion bits throughout the dough, rather than stuffed. Sometimes you can find kaiser rolls like that, which make fab sammiches. There's enough cheese that the rolls are yellow, unless that's food color. Either way--yum.
                              toss the bits of cheese and onion in corn starch or flour to coat, then mix into the dough before the first kneading and resting.

Comment

Baking is so completely lost on me.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X