This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son joins the working world today

I don't know whether to cry because I feel old, cry because my baby is growing up, or be super proud of him for putting himself out there and getting hired. I think it's a little of all of that.

Last week we had a discussion about finances, and he wants things I simply can't afford, so we looked up the child labor laws and determined what he had to do to get a work permit and get hired. We also discussed Mom's Rules of when and what type of place he could work at. Last weekend he got himself dressed all spiffy and headed out on foot to the downtown area that's a few blocks from where we're living right now and went into all the small shops asking if they had any small jobs available. The guy at the local gym was super impressed with his initiative and offered him a 4 hour/week job cleaning down the equipment on weekend evenings. For this he is getting paid minimum wage plus a gym membership. He's very excited, and starts tonight. I spoke with the manager earlier and got everything settled. He's a nice guy, and from what I can tell will make a great first boss.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Congratulations on his first job.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Hey, even if he isn't earning much, he IS still earning, and he has a free place to work out, too!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Congratulations! Sounds like a very mature and responsible young man, a credit to his mom
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks. He's super excited about it. It really does seem like a great fit, so I'm hoping he'll stick to it and learn a lot, and maybe figure out that Mom isn't as big of a hard ass as he thinks I am.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

and best of luck to him at his new job!

Another four years or so, mine will also be entering the workplace...they do grow up fast.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This one grew up faster than I expected. He won't be 15 for another few weeks yet, but our state lumps 14 and 15 year olds together as far as child labor laws. He's a pretty mature kid, and I think having a job like this will be very good for him.

Comment

If he does well, he might find himself with a more part time job at the gym when he hits 16.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                X