This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
    A quick bash round the head with the Collected Edition of the Narnia stories would seem to be in order for that demented woman. You know, Narnia? With witches, and fauns, and talking animals, and ghosts, and pagan gods, and dragons and magic....and written by one of the greatest Christian theologians of the 20th century?
    Yep.

And for good measure, a smack upside the head with the complete Lord of the Rings (especially hardcover versions)

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
      I just have little tolerance for those who make others suffer (their children, for example) all in the name of religion/God/He Who Walks Behind The Rows, etc.
      Same here (and nice reference to Children of the Corn). People like that infuriate me as well.

Anyway, apology accepted, and I know you weren't trying to be offensive.
      Last edited by Kelly Lynne; 11-01-2006, 03:20 PM. Reason: random grammatical nitpicking

Comment

I can't imagine stifling my child's imagination! I'm glad that all three of my children love to read. They are allowed to read pretty much what ever they want.

My little guy made up a story about invisible gophers that live in our back yard. They sneak in and eat the cookies that I bake, but only the cookies that I bake, not the store bought ones. I, according to my little guy, make the best cookies in the worlds and the gophers apparently love them, so they sneak in at night and eat a bunch of cookies and sneak back out, before anyone can catch them.

I can't imagine yelling at him that are no such things as invisible gophers and I know he is the one that eats all the cookies. I am proud of his very imaginative imagination.
        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Great. Good to be friends again!

It's hard enough to be a kid most days, but when your parents (for whatever reason) purposefully ostracize you from what everyone else is doing...
          I get that certain religions are very restrictive, but it's still unfortunate. I mean, no matter how much dogma you try to grind into your kids psyche, they'll make up their own minds when they get older.

Misanthropical, your son could have the makings of a cool kids book on his hands! Hey, if Madonna of all people can write one...
          Last edited by Demonoid Phenomenon; 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM.
          ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Imagination is one of the most important things for a child to be able to use, regardless of their parents' religion.

I think it is despicable for that woman to treat her child like that. It makes me very angry!!

That woman probably thinks that Harry Potter is the anti-christ, and the tooth fairy is the devil .

Poor kid, I hope she turns out okay!

Phoenix
            "I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons" - Douglas Adams
            "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off . . . " - unknown

Comment

Wow, that's amazingly sad. You know, I would love to be paid to hang out at book stores and the like just to hunt for these people and give them a public dressing down. That lady needs to read some Charles Dickens, particularly Hard Times.

Comment

I'm sending warm fuzzies to that poor child, in hopes that she turns out to be a nice, normal, rational sort of person.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I just remembered something I saw in the news last year or the year before (or maybe even the year before that!) about a guy who was going around protesting bookstores that carried the Satanic Bible.

That kind of thing drives me nuts.
                  I'm no more into Satanism than I am Christianity, but some folks need to get a clue. We live in a (supposedly) free society and that means you have to accept some things that you don't agree with.
                  If someone wants to buy the Satanic Bible, more power to 'em.
                  And while I think anyone has the right to contest something they find offensive, in my world they would have to read that book or see that movie before they could protest.
                  Most protests are made out of ignorance and nothing but the idea that something MIGHT be offensive.

Sigh. I like it in MY world.
                  ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

I like it in MY world.

You know, I think I live on the other side of the block from you. Hi, neighbor.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

BeckySunshine, welcome!
                      ~~*

Comment

Most protests are made out of ignorance and nothing but the idea that something MIGHT be offensive.

Sigh. I like it in MY world.
                        And another perfect example of this phenomenon happened while I was working in the movie theatre at the time Dogma was released. We had to call the cops on a group of about 150 people who were protesting in the parking lot because we were showing that movie. Anyone who has watched the movie would know that while some controversial theories are presented, the ultimate message of the movie is "God Saves All." It was in no way blatantly offensive to catholic beliefs, and was in fact written and directed by a practicing catholic. But the uninformed still chose to protest, and to refuse to leave when the cops told them to, so about 20 of the 150 people ended up going to jail for disturbing the peace, trespassing, and inciting a riot before the other 130 got a clue and left.
                        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Roll that beautiful bean footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Td7k2fmiI

Here's a link to a video of this guy John Conner (can't believe I share a last name with this, er, gentleman (cough!jerk!cough!)) making his 'point' at Barnes & Noble.
                          Notice the American Flag doo-rag he wears while he does his thing.
                          Uh, hypocritical much?
                          ~~*

Comment

I understand Kevin Smith himself showed up to protest his own movie, holding a sign that said "Dogma is Dogshit." He said he just wanted to talk to the protesters, see where they were coming from.

Nobody even recognized him. Nobody had even seen the movie, actually, because I believe it hadn't opened yet.

I mean, if you see it and THEN decide it's bad, fine. But you still dont' have a right to censor it. Vote with your feet, and your dollar.

And just an FYI, I saw that movie. I LOVED it. I saw it on the recommendation of my Episcopal priest, and his wife. They loved it, too.

We aren't all idiots.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                              If she don't give christmasgifts because it has to do with church she can't be christian, can she? She probably IS an atheist. Not that you have to be christian to celebrate Yule, I know muslim parents who give gifts at christmas (and at Eid, lucky kids).
                              Jehovah's Witnesses (IIRC, a Christian denomination) do not observe any holidays.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                                I can't imagine yelling at him that are no such things as invisible gophers and I know he is the one that eats all the cookies.
                                Uh.... yeah! Your son was the one eating all the cookies...

(Grabs a handful of cookies and runs back under the couch)
                                Sometimes life is altered.
                                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                                Uneasy with confrontation.
                                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                                X