This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously it's my fault

I work at a Movie Gallery and it is probably the most awesome job. Free movie and game rentals, awesome co-workers, and a manager who doesn't seem to give half a blankey-blank (keeping it pg-13 for the kiddies) what we do. The only problem...customers.

Generally our customers are nice, sometimes they say a little too much, are a bit of an a-hole now and again, but generally they're in a good mood and they can be fairly patient...but not always.

Anyways, onto the actual story.

I was called into work on my day off which generally doesn't put me in a good mood, but I was nice and let it slide and met my customers with my usual feigned sweetness and light. It's in the morning so it's slow and I'm having a pretty quiet day.

Then a male customer comes up. He has three movies which I quickly check the discs and then scan for him and tell him the total. He hands a me a debit card. I take it and walk to our card machine and scan it......card error.
    Card Error
    Card Error
    Card Erorr

I scan this thing a million different ways, even use a plastic bag. He tells me that he works out in the oil field and so his cards get a little beat up. I tell the "gentleman" that I'm sorry, but it won't scan.

SC: "Well I don't have anything else." *long pause as if waiting for me to just give him the movies because lord knows we're not trying to make any money here.*
    Me: Sorry sir.

The man then storms towards the door, like a teenage girl whose mother just said she can't have the newest cell phone.

SC: This is horrible! This is the worst place I've ever been!

Yes, oh wise one, obviously it's my fault that you stupidly take a magnetic card into a place where it's going to LOSE said magentism. I'm that niggling little voice in your ear when you go to work that says "no keep your wallet, an ice cream truck might magically come by and you wouldn't want to miss that!"

A few minutes later, the man CALLS the store and asks "do you take checks?" I said yes, seeing as it would have been bad form for me to tell him "No, you'll get a check error."

He comes back, I scan the movies again, he writes out the check I put it in the drawer.

SC: And don't mind me honey, I'm just real impatient.
    That's what he says before quickly leaving.

Maybe it's just me but I believe there's a very fine line between impatient and acting like a horse's ass. Impatient is when you sigh, tap your fingers in annoyed fashion, but acting like something that is completely your fault, isn't, and blaming it on someone else, is where you start to make people HATE you.

Wow, I think that's pretty close to an apology. You lucky duck. At least it seems that you handled it well.

I used to work at a movie gallery! It was the slackest job I've ever had. Also probably the worst management, but I think that'd differ from store to store.

Comment

Quoth Screamarie View Post
      SC: And don't mind me honey, I'm just real impatient.
      *SHINK!*

Don't mind me, Sir, I'm just real intolerant of assholes who call me HONEY.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
      X