This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The awe-inspiring velmeport/vermeport

However it's spelled. I really wish it death. No not really. I've seen how the guests get when it's not working. Anyways. I can't stand the ignorance. When a guest causes it to jam they stand there and continue to ram their cart into it like it's going to magically restart itself.

Then we have the guests that when it stops they press the big Emergency Stop button. I guess they think it sends a call out to the team members that the thing is stopped? But can they read? It says EMERGENCY STOP and it's red which is the color of stop. So it's not going to make it restart and it won't let a team member know. All it would have done is stop the velmeport if it was still going.

Then we have the people who have never seen it before, tourists. Or locals who have never stepped foot in my Target store before. They have to take pictures of it. Multiple times. I didn't act like that when I first saw it even though it was the first time I'd ever seen one. Bed, Bath, and Beyond which is also connected to the mall that we're connected to has the same thing b/c they're also 2 stories. But yea, I don't see the big deal. Yea, I thought it was pretty cool but I wasn't like "OMG..what is this?! It carries our basket to and from the second floor!!! OMG IT'S THE MOST AMAZING THING IN THE WORLD I MUST TAKE MULTIPLE PICTURES!!!"

But Thursday we had our most crazy guest of all over the velmeport. Older man in his red Georgia Bulldogs sweatshirt. He's half way up the escalator when the vermeport stops b/c as usual an idiot tried to send their basket up w/ something on the bottom. He had a basket in it and was pissed that it stopped. He started shouting at the top of his lungs "GOD DAMNIT I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! IT STOPPED! IT STOPPED!!!". I was already right there. Staring in shock at this man's outburst. As was every single guest in the general area b/c like I said he's yelling at the top of his lungs. Team members ran over from where they were to see what the big deal was. So now the guest is on his way back down. I burst into action and I'm trying to jam my key in to restart it b/c this man is totally off his rocker and I don't want to be near him when he gets to the bottom. He's still yelling nonstop. He's on repeat now just yelling over and over "GOD DAMN IT TO HELL". I restart it and quickly back off. The guest who had caused the jam told him it was moving again. He instantly shut up and got back on the escalator going up..like it had never happened. Guests slowly started going about their business.

Another guest who had been in my watch section came over and asked if he was going to be removed from the store. She said she wanted to go upstairs to shop but he's up there and she's scared. (I was serious when I said this man was insane..so insane a guest didn't want to be on the same floor as him.) So I asked another team member and they said they didn't know if he was being removed but an executive team lead is w/ him at that moment. That was enough to make the lady feel safe so she went upstairs. But yea. I have never seen a guest react like that. Like I said..they either ram their carts in hopes it'll cause it to start moving again, press the emergency stop button, stare at it w/ a lost expression, or grow a brain and find a team member to restart it.

Oh here's another good story. The velmeport going down was working but a guest still took their basket down the escalator. But I think they THOUGHT they were sticking it in the velmeport b/c they didn't hold onto their basket. They pushed it on the escalator and let go. I'm serious. So it starts flying down the escalator. I hear her yelling "WATCH OUT!!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!" and I look up. I see it flying. I see one of our vendors quickly get out of the way and then it ends in a horrible crash that thankfully didn't hurt anyone. But yea...sometimes a person's ignorance shocks me. It downright scares me. How could she not know that it was the escalator and that she didn't need to hold the basket?!

I hate when we have coca cola on sale. 4 for 12$!!! I don't mind when pepsi is on sale b/c nothing happens..nobody really cares about pepsi in the south..at least not in my state. But when coke is on sale..you better watch out! People load their carts up w/ coke. Precariously high. or on the bottom where we have nothing to hold the cokes. So then when it's coming down the velmeport you can only guess that a major spill occurs. Yep, you'll suddenly have a case or 2 of coke flying down the velmeport. Once it caught some real air that when it hit the bottom and burst open one of the cans flew into our endcap and put a hole into the wall of it and splattered our product w/ coke. So yea, I dread coke going on sale b/c that means I'll be cleaning at least one major spill every day that I work of that sale. It usually happens 3 times in my shift.

But yea, the man from Georgia is the most recent story b/c it happened just this past Thursday. The idiot lady who let go of her basket down the escalator happened the week before. A spill trailing from the down velmeport all the way down our main aisle also happened on Thursday.

You know what I hate about spills? Despite the fact that we're standing there telling guests to go around they STILL walk through it or roll their carts through it so that they can make the mess that much worse. I'm sure they're hoping they slip so they can sue us. But it makes me mad. Are these people blind and deaf? That they don't HEAR us warning them or SEE the spill. Maybe they're deaf, dumb, and blind. In fact I'm definitely betting on the dumb part. Anyways, I think that's the recent things that have made me mad at work.

i had never heard of such a thing so I had to google it. The vermport sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. SC can barely use carts. The whole point of the elevator is to take care of freight going up and down, wouldn't a big elevator be safer?
    I am so sorry for you and your coworkers.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:D...ermaport_e.JPG
      for anyone else who is curious

Comment

I hate to believe you

I hate to believe you, but I have to because I have seen my share of dumb customers too.

I have never seen this thing in my life - NEVER. Until today I never even knew they existed but a quick Google and within 5 seconds of looking at images I understood how it would work, and what it would not handle.

How can customers be so dumb! It's not that complicated to understand.

Comment

*shakes head* That one guy makes no sense. And Coke is not gold. People are strange creatures.
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Ah, so that's what those things are called. Cool.

And I wonder why people would not think that things on the bottom of a cart with nothing to hold it would somehow magically not obey the laws of gravity and not slide out of the cart.

Though the flying coke sounds hilarious. I'm sorry.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I have to admit, I took a picture of it when I first came to an Oregon target and saw one. I never got to use it though

Comment

I've never seen those vermeport things, or the megnetic wheel locks, but I have seen the moving walkway ramps that the carts lock into. The wheels on the cart aren't flat and the walkway is grooved, so the wheels are stuck until the top or bottom of the ramp

Comment

I've seen a supermarket that uses a travelator without magnetic locks. It's just like the airport travelators, but on a slope gentle enough to easily control the trolley even when loaded.

Comment

There's a Target near me that has a Vermaport. I don't like it because I load up the bottom of the cart with bulky items and the carts there don't have a bottom rack.

The Ikea near us has the moving ramp that holds the carts. I like it, but there is something odd about it.

My kids got kind of excited the first time they saw them, but, hey, they're kids. They're supposed to get excited.

The trippiest escalator I was on was in the Westfield Shopping Centre in downtown San Francisco. The curved escalators are cool, but on some of the levels the escalators are straight but cross open space from one side of the circular well to the other. I found a picture on flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/83344079@N00/202568613/
                    Last edited by wagegoth; 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I've never seen one of those before I have to admit, those are really spiffy and I would totally be one of those people in standing awestuck in amazement. No pictures becuase I don't have a camera phone... I still get excited when I ride in glass elevators. Eh, I'm 18 I'm allowed I think.

I can see how to properly use the cart-escalator (I'm not going to attempt to spell it). That I know, things that are only balanced and not secured, will fall.
                      The worst is not,
                      So long as we can say, 'This is the worst.' (King Lear IV.1)

Comment

Quoth Fro View Post
                        I've never seen one of those before I have to admit, those are really spiffy and I would totally be one of those people in standing awestuck in amazement. No pictures becuase I don't have a camera phone... I still get excited when I ride in glass elevators. Eh, I'm 18 I'm allowed I think.
                        It's caled a sense of wonder, Fro. Don't ever lose it. I'm 33 and still like glass elevators. I'm also a sucker for figuring out how things work, like the cart lift in the pics. If I happen accross Discovery Channel while How It's Made is on, I have to watch it.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
                          *Blink-blink-blink*

*leans to the left*

*...leans to the right*

*Tilts head*

*Snapshot*

*Snapshotsnapshotsnapshotsnapshot*
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

What the?

Wierd.
                            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I've never seen those before, but I've seen other solutions that are somewhat more terrifying.

Both variations are escalating ramps, rather than stairs.

The first variation uses the interlocking metal segments like regular escalators, except they don't seperate into stairs, just pivot as the ramp angles up.

The other variation is a grooved rubber treadmill.

Otherwise, they have the same basic function. How do shopping carts factor in? Well, in both cases the stores have standard shopping carts fitted with attachments on the wheels that essentially 'jam' in the grooves, and hold the cart in place. When it reaches the bottom, the teeth at the bottom pop it out, and the shopper goes on their merry way.

Yes, that's right, the same escalator is used by shoppers and their carts.

Now, when it works correctly, it's great, and you have no worries about your groceries ending up stuck somewhere without you, or getting there ahead of you. IF the wheels catch properly.

If they don't... well, hope that family in front of you can sprint.

And, of course, because people take shopping carts onto the things, people think they can take OTHER wheeled items onto it, and they will somehow magically catch and stay. Like baby strollers.

I haven't personally seen any accidents, but one place had to station someone at the top just to ensure people didn't end up rolling something down it and splatting some poor person at the bottom.
                              Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Working...
                              X