X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Things...

10 Things I Am Sick Of Hearing At Karaoke:

1. Can you move me up on the list? I'm about to leave.
    Bonus if you ask me this every week, when I know damn well you're staying until 2AM.

2. What do you have by *Random Artist*?
    Go look at the book. Don't tell me you left your glasses at home. I am not your mommy. I will not read all the songs off to you.

3. When is it going to be my turn?
    Do not ask this after every song. When I call your name - it's your turn.

4. I'm going to sing X, then me and my friend are going to sing Y, then me and my friend are going to sing Z, and then I'm going to sing...
    Look. You get one song per round. Your friend gets one song per round. If you want me to queue up songs for you for the next four rounds, fine. But you're not doing all of those in a row. No way in hell.

5. That guy over there wants to sing *random song*
    Then that guy over there can come tell me. I'm not putting a song in for somebody who may or may not know about it. You think it's cute to have us call his name and freak him out when he has no intention of singing. Stop wasting my time.

6. Why can't you play CDs? I paid a lot of money for my karaoke CDs! *rant rant rant*
    Because I don't have that capability. I have explained this to you. If you want to use your CD and only your CD, go somewhere where they can play it. I have almost 15,000 different songs (no duplicates) in my database, and I refuse to believe that there is nothing in there you know. I have my own CDs too. But if I go somewhere where I can't use them, I suck it up and sing what they have. Deal.

7. Just pick me out a song.
    Unless you're a regular with whom I am fairly familiar, no. My program keeps a history of what you sing, so if you've been here several times I can probably pick something from there. If I have never seen you before in my life, and I have no idea what you sing, I can not pick a song for you. Anyone who insists on me picking their song will sing "In The Navy."

8. You don't have X? Can't you get it now?
    What the hell karaoke can magically produce songs they don't have out of thin air? Just because I use a laptop does not mean I can Google the song you want and have it appear in my database. Most places won't even look for it to have it next time.

9. This song is too fast! (or too slow)
    You picked it, dumbass. I don't speed up and slow down the songs just to mess with you. Though it might be fun if I did.

10. You skipped me!
    No, I didn't. I go in order. You are too drunk to understand this. Everybody sings once, then we start over and everybody sings again. If you actually did get skipped, it was probably because you went to the other bar down the street for an hour.

End rant.
    Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
    This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
    Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
    -Switchfoot

So... *slips you a 20 and a beer* Can you move me up on the list? ^^
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
      10. You skipped me!
      Haha..the KJ of the place I frequent has actually skipped me several times before. It's usually because he's drunk!
      Last edited by Lachrymose; 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

omg! these are the exact same peeves me and my dad have!!

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
          If I have never seen you before in my life, and I have no idea what you sing, I can not pick a song for you. Anyone who insists on me picking their song will sing "In The Navy."
          This? Genius.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
            So... *slips you a 20 and a beer* Can you move me up on the list? ^^
            Yes. Yes I can.
            -Switchfoot

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
              Yes. Yes I can.
              Whoo hoo!

*jumps on stage*

In the navy
              Yes, you can sail the seven seas
              In the navy
              Yes, you can put your mind at ease

"For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I have done a bit of KJ work in my time. I feel for you, I really do. I quit that like a bad habbit. I sold all my equipment to a bar, where it died a slow death covered in dust and beer.

Why did I quit? Something about me wanting to customers that sang like chinchillas in heat. [Turns mic down] [Turns background vocals UP!]

They do not make enough Advil for me to KJ again.

I bet you have also heard these wonderful SC quotes.

"Aww man! Just play dis! *gives you burned cd* I'll just sing over it!"
                Nope. Sorry. If its not mine and I don't know it. I don't play it.

"Do you have _______?"
                This request will either be:
                A) A song that is just getting radio play and will not be released to cd for months.
                B) A regional/unknown artist.
                C) Some rap artist that I won't know about till he/she gets at least a platimum record. (I don't follow rap, I don't have the time nor the patiece.)
                D) Something so rude and lude that, if edited, it would sound more like Morse code or that the mic was running out of batteries. (Do you kiss your mamma with that mouth?)

"Can I put my beer here?"
                This will always be toooooo close or on top of your DJ/KJ equipment.

"Will you hold this for me?"
                What do I look like a coat rack? Oh wait! A free purse for me!

And my fiance's favorite-

Mr. Deeeeee Jaaaaaaay *leans over and shows ALOT of cleavage* Will you play my song next?
                Yes boobie! I mean, your song is on the list.

It's not legal in my state to drink and work. A KJ or DJ thats drunk is not providing the best service they can give and is not being professional.

Best of luck. I hope you get great tips, great eye candy, singers with perfect pitch and diction, quiet drunks, and a boss and bar staff that adores you.
                "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

2. What do you have by *Random Artist*?
                  Go look at the book. Don't tell me you left your glasses at home. I am not your mommy. I will not read all the songs off to you.
                  I got something like this today. It drives me nuts. Guy wants to order sliced meat. I hand him an order form. He tells me "you're gonna have to do this for me, I don't have my glasses". I give a blank stare and go back to doing what I was doing. Ain't my problem if you didn't bring your glasses. Shouldn't you wear those when driving?

Comment

Quoth MTNLaurelPoacher View Post

Mr. Deeeeee Jaaaaaaay *leans over and shows ALOT of cleavage* Will you play my song next?
                    This is one of my favorites, actually, because my boyfriend/fiance and I do this as a team. He runs the sound, I run the rotation and the program. So when Little Miss Boobies comes over and tries to sit in his lap and tell him her song, and he points to me and says, "tell her," I take great pleasure in watching their faces fall. Yep, that's right honey. You can't sing without going through me. The boobs don't work on me, mine are bigger.
                    -Switchfoot

Comment

Quoth MTNLaurelPoacher View Post

[C) Some rap artist that I won't know about till he/she gets at least a platimum record. (I don't follow rap, I don't have the time nor the patiece.)
                      D) Something so rude and lude that, if edited, it would sound more like Morse code or that the mic was running out of batteries. (Do you kiss your mamma with that mouth?)

Yes boobie!

Edited for my own amusement re the Mr. DJ and like you, I have nooo time or patience to listen to rap. Swearing, I can handle.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
                        This is one of my favorites, actually, because my boyfriend/fiance and I do this as a team. He runs the sound, I run the rotation and the program. So when Little Miss Boobies comes over and tries to sit in his lap and tell him her song, and he points to me and says, "tell her," I take great pleasure in watching their faces fall. Yep, that's right honey. You can't sing without going through me. The boobs don't work on me, mine are bigger.
                        *Puts on his dog ears and plops in Daisy's lap*

*Licks her cheek*

*Barks*

*Gets her a beer*

*And cookies*

How Much Is That Doggy In The Window?

I would be forced to pull a comedy skit out of my hat. Because I only sing with EQ. To the radio. Speeding down a highway. With the windows rolled down.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
                          I am not your mommy. I will not read all the songs off to you.
                          Are you sure? You sound just like Mama when you say that....

And Retail Workhorse- that sounds like fun! May I join y'all?

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                            In the navy
                            Yes, you can sail the seven seas
                            In the navy
                            Yes, you can put your mind at ease
                            No version of this song will ever be better than the Muppet Show's version with the viking pigs.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
                              10 Things I Am Sick Of Hearing At Karaoke:
                              Ker-snip....
                              wow, I'm on he customer side of that, and wow, just....I mean at my usual sport I go up by the stage for one reason (well two if you count turning in my slip) so I can listen to the songs... and yeah I don't know how often a non-regular will go, when is my soooooooong?!?!?!?slasheleventy/1/1/1/1111////?!

especially when we've had our songs for the rotations ( we usually go on slow nights) up within 10 minutes of coming in... gotta get some alcohol in ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X