This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth yomiko View Post
    What frightens me the most about the last response is its grammatical correctness and the erudition apparent therein.
    Hold some faith yet, it could've been cleaned by the OP
    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth coolcuziknit View Post

Q: If you had one "extra" hour each day, what would you be most likely to do during that hour?

A: Make woopie
      This is a guy waaaaay addicted to old episodes of The Newlywed Game on GSN.
      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Peoples' spellings of the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV):
        How bout just "vag***l warts"?

in my opinion, you can't please anyone with airline searches. people want safety and are furious when bad people slip through, but no one wants their rights taken away. if you go in one direction you're accused of "racial profiling" and if you go in the other direction you're accused of "being insane for searching people who are obviously innocent". everyone wants you to magically pick the right people to search, and if you just search everyone then no one's happy.

i don't really think there's an easy solution to that one. you're going to have to piss off someone either way.

that being said, i don't feel like bashing the lady either. maybe it's just my mood, but... everyone is allowed their own opinion, even a sucky one. (eh, i'm prolly just tired...)

Comment

Yeah, I thought the use of the word prophylactic was weird too...the first thing I thought of was condoms. I love it when people try to use big words but clearly don't quite understand what they mean.
          Actually, she was using the term correctly. While not common, because of condoms, y'know, I have heard it used in exactly that manner before.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
            "42.7% of statistics are made up on the spot, including this one."
            Heh. I thought of that too when I read that line. But I was distracted by 'prophylactic'.

Quoth MMATM View Post
            Rather than shove this thread forcibly into Fratching, I have a question for our Canadian members. Is racial profiling still allowable practice by your government? Because government agencies in the US (not to mention private companies and individuals) have been getting sued over such practices for years.

And Spiffy, while I agree this thread could quickly turn to Fratching, I'm pretty certain everyone here can agree that race should not be a factor (and, thankfully, often isn't a factor) when applying for a job. Even a high-security airport type job.
            To the best of my knowledge, racial profiling is currently NOT allowed when applying for any job, whether that is in the public or private sectors. I honestly can't think of an example recently where people have tried to use racial profiling in job searches. I don't know if the RCMP uses racial profiling when searching passengers at airports.

While I'm certain that we can all agree that race shouldn't matter, what unfortunately happens is that a conversation starts out innocently enough (As this one is. Thanks, guys.) but can sadly take an unfortunate tangent that is nowhere even close to being appropriate for CS.com.
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

These are answers from people's surveys that I came across while doing my job. I don't call people for surveys anymore, I just take their answers and sort through them. Sometimes I wish I could call these people and tell them how dumb they are. Some are just plain funny.

Q: If you had one "extra" hour each day, what would you be most likely to do during that hour?
              A: Read~!

Q: Other important reasons why you have become or would become more involved in political advocacy and/or elected politic?
              A: I don't, I think I'd rather become less involved. But thanks for asking.

Q: What do you dislike about Chip cards?
              A: I don't have an opinion on Chip Cards. According to Alan-ni-chan it's the same as my debit card, but I've heard some people say that their bank charges them to use their card as a debit card. Mine doesn't.

Q: What can you remember about the most recent commercial you saw or heard for Pillsbury Toaster Strudels?
              A: *Thinks* Uhm, I remember I wanted one when I was done watching the commercial, so I suppose it did what Marketing wanted it to do.

Q: What can you remember about the most recent advertising you saw for Budweiser?
              A: It was a radio spot, the frogs were talking smack about the iguana becoming so high-and-mighty and all that. I thought it was funny.

Q: In your opinion, why do you think someone applies to become a Canadian citizen?
              Because of North Hollywood (Vancouver, only reason I want to go to Canadaland), silly!

-Harmone poplova vaccine

-Hapilona virus

-Hemapapaloma virus

-Hepatitus Papiloma vaccine

-Happa papalone vacine

-Heredity pelvic virus

-Herpes Pappa Virus

-Human Virus

-Vacsean

-Human papalomise virsus

-Human Papaloville virus

-Hypo Pavolic Vaccine
              Something really nasty....

Q: What aboriginal issues are you aware of?
              There's redheaded Aborigines with blue eyes! Cool!
              (likely not what was being asked, but, hey, I'm easy).

Q: What problems or issues did you encounter? (Air Canada Jazz)
              None, it was likely quite enjoyable since I tend to sleep through plane-rides.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                How bout just "vag***l warts"?
                Not to be a pain, but I have to dispute this. It's entirely possible to have a strain of HPV with no actual warts. I should know - I do.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Lady, you probably got searched because something you did or packed raised a flag. Same thing happened to my white bread, 60+ mother when she booked a flight less than a week before take off. She understood that & dealt with it. You should too. Oh wait. You're an SC, never mind.
                  I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the use of the word prophylactic was weird too...the first thing I thought of was condoms. I love it when people try to use big words but clearly don't quite understand what they mean.
                    It's an older usage that's becoming rather less common as obvious education is frowned upon by today's pop culture. The more you can bastardize the language, the cooler you can be.

Raise your hand if you've been called a snob or been accused of being pretentious just because you know a few 3-syllable words...
                    *raises hand*

As for the "make woopie" comment, to make whoopie is actually to party it up in a boisterous manner. Think of the word "whoop", which means: shout or yell, usually in a happy way. Although it's often used as a euphamism for having sex, that particular usage doesn't seem to be recorded much of anywhere.

It goes along with the phrase "whoop it up" which generally refers to making a racket or a lot of noise.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A:i am a 57 year old Caucasian woman. My bags were all opened and examined at the Windsor airport and I was thoroughly searched. Even my boots were removed. I have arthritis and all that packing and unpacking was a painful inconvenience.
                      /snip/
                      Tell me, how many 57 year old Caucasian women have been suicide bombers, or crashed planes into buildings?[/I]
                      This is perfectly true, madam - you are unlikely to be a terrorist. However, our job still includes looking for drug smugglers, and you are walking strangely. This could well be caused by a kilogram of heroin in your anal cavity. Bend over, please. What? You have arthritis? That's what they all say." *Snaps rubber glove*
                      "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Customer surveys can be fun!

This reminds me of when I worked for a mutual fund company. One night, while everybody else had to stay late to help work on new accounts (it was during tax season, and everybody and their brother wanted to open up an IRA at the last moment) but since I couldn't do that (hadn't been trained) they had me sort survey reply cards.

Each card had 3 or 4 different pre-printed answers, with an "Other" option and a line to write in. My job was to sort them into piles for each different answer type. Easy enough for busy work.

About midway through the stack they gave me, I came across the following "Other" answer to the question: "Why did you open up a <mutual fund company> account?"

Answer: "Because my bi*** wife made me!!!"

Copies of the card hung on my cube wall until I moved down to the IT department, but I don't think they ever went away...

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Q: In your opinion, why do you think someone applies to become a Canadian citizen?
                          To spend $40 for shipping a $20 hat.

Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth coolcuziknit

-Harmone poplova vaccine

-Hapilona virus

-Hemapapaloma virus

-Hepatitus Papiloma vaccine

-Happa papalone vacine

-Heredity pelvic virus

-Herpes Pappa Virus

-Human Virus

-Vacsean

-Human papalomise virsus

-Human Papaloville virus

-Hypo Pavolic Vaccine
                            Who-haa and Dinglehopper skin bumps!
                            Last edited by AnqeiicDemise; 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM.
                            "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              As for the "make woopie" comment, to make whoopie is actually to party it up in a boisterous manner. Think of the word "whoop", which means: shout or yell, usually in a happy way. Although it's often used as a euphamism for having sex, that particular usage doesn't seem to be recorded much of anywhere.
                              Especially since The Newleywed Game stopped airing.

Comment

Tell me, how many 57 year old Caucasian women have been suicide bombers, or crashed planes into buildings? ]
                                umm, it only takes 1...

yeah lady, if I'm on the plane I don't care that something hasn't been done before, I care about security making sure it doesn't happen NOW
                                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                                X