This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth crazylegs View Post
    Lacking the risk of firearms in this country (to a certain extent) I'm willing to take the risk, its not firearms that scare me but needles.
    Even here, that type of response would be pretty rare, but there are some crazy bastards out there.

Comment

Pretty much everywhere has a policy of not going after thieves. Yes, stolen property makes the unstolen property more expensive. But stolen property has nothing on medical/funeral bills for expense and being a drain on society.

The mouth of any meat-eater is going to be teeming with bacteria that will cause infection. That's why cat bites can be pretty nasty.

As for diabetics, if they keep their sugar levels under control, their circulation is as good as the rest of us. Unfortunately, a lot of diabetics are either in denial or just don't have the willpower to manage their diabetes (I know one Type 1 who decided to go full denial and he was nearly fully blind and losing use of his legs at 24). It's usually the Type 2s that have the greater problem, since they tend to have irregular insulin production, so they have to test more regularly to keep their levels in check.

One of my coworkers is a Type 2 who doesn't really control his sugar levels, and he had a sore on his foot he didn't take care of. He got lucky and only had to have one toe amputated, but he was out of work for 2 months and has a week-long hospital visit and surgery to pay for.

Maggots are the best way to deal with necrotized flesh. They won't eat healthy flesh, so they can stop the decay from spreading. Even so, the idea does have an extremely high squick factor.

As for burns & aloe: my brother once dumped a pot pie straight out of the oven onto his arm. We aloe'd it up good (fresh leaf) and it didn't even scar. Much more recently, I dumped a quart of very hot egg drop soup in my lap. It splashed over one forearm, down part of my chest, over the right side of my abdomen, and a bit on my right hip. Man, I shimmied out of what I was wearing in a flash. It blistered up something distressing, but it wasn't quite 3rd degree, and aloe (mostly fresh leaf, augmented with a high aloe skin care product) made it heal pretty quickly, and leave almost no scar.

^-.-^
      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 03-04-2008, 03:16 AM.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

True Story

My Mother was told this story when she started her first retail job.
        Manager of store see's guy walk out with 6 pack of beer. Manager follows guy outside and THROWS HIMSELF ON THE HOOD OF THE THIEF'S TRUCK!!! Over a 6pack of beer! Unfortunatly the store was next to a highway.....
        The thief drives onto the Highway, with the manager still on the hood. Manager falls off of hood onto Highway and dies. OVER A 6 PACK OF BEER!!! Ye Gods what a waste!
        Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
        The following is subject to change:
        If Your Going Through Hell,
        Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          There are tricks hospitals can do to attempt to remove gangrene before it spreads too far - but some of them are really ewww. One of the most effective involves maggots. Raised specifically for the purpose, but still - ewww.
          leaches can be good too to getting blood flowing in akward areas. I know they're great but ewwww

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
            OVER A 6 PACK OF BEER!!!
            Well, to be fair.....it WAS beer.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Perhaps not, but there are many aloe solutions, including creams, that are absolutely awesome for sunburns and skin irritations. We have an aloe store down here that sells magic, as far as I'm concerned. And trust me when I say that in the tropics, there are a lot of people that get burns......
              I don't think aloe counts in the "No creams" thing about burns... If I get burned, I burn badly, enough to make me very sick from the shock and injury for weeks. Doctors told me to use pure aloe solution and cool water. Works!
              "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Well, to be fair.....it WAS beer.
                Depends on the brand.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Depends on the brand.
                  True enough....but it WAS beer!

Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm really not trying to be insensitive, but I just keep wondering how he is going to explain the injury. I can see the conversation going something like this...

"So, what happened to your leg?"

"Oh, I got bit by a drag queen."

Am I the only one who finds that totally hilarious?

In all fairness I did have an aunt go through almost the same thing (almost losing her leg from gangrene after a bite, because of her diabetes) except in her case she was bitten by a zebra.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      True enough....but it WAS beer!
                      What if it was, say, Bad Frog Beer?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth jacxnomore View Post
                        I just keep wondering how he is going to explain the injury.

"Oh, I got bit by a drag queen."

In all fairness I did have an aunt go through almost the same thing (almost losing her leg from gangrene after a bite, because of her diabetes) except in her case she was bitten by a zebra.
                        1. Ego easily saved by changing the answer to "Oh, I got bit by a shoplifter."

2. How in the bleepity bleep did your aunt get herself bitten by a zebra?!?!?!

What if it was, say, Bad Frog Beer?
                        Can't comment. Seeing as I have never tried Bad Frog Beer.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well Jester, I guess that she has a friend that has some kind of animal rescue reserve that is home to the zebra. So she got bitten by a zebra in the wilds of southern California. Not as exciting as being bitten by a zebra in the wilds of Zimbabwe or someplace really interesting, but if you are going to be bitten by something a zebra is pretty cool.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Can't comment. Seeing as I have never tried Bad Frog Beer.
                            Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if it's still available.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if it's still available.
                              If not, try Arrogant Bastard Ale. If you don't like it, your taste in beer sucks! It says so on the lable.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Hey this story actualy helped me today! We keep getting hit by this gang of shoplifters and one of them is a transvestite. They came in the store and the trany grabed a bottle of hennesy and took off I was right after her/him and her/hims partner. Im so sick of it that I almost threw causion to the wind and took them down till I remebered this thread. It really did make me think twice. THANKS

Comment

Working...
                                X