• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living: Christopher Walken
    Deceased: Nikola Tesla
    Fictional: Miles Vorkosigan

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      Amusingly enough, so have I. While the author didn't use any names, the description was specific enough that I knew who she was talking about, and she confirmed it at a book signing a few years later. And I did drink with her. Camped with her, too.
      The author didn't name her specifically as being the real-life version of the character - possibly because she was still active duty military. But she did say that it was her in the book. The gender was changed, but they were the same military service & rank and same last name. Although her book-self got promoted, while she retired at that pay grade I think.

and when i met the author at dragon con i told him that I could honestly say I'd been yelled at by a character in his books and explained. (yes she's yelled at me... i forgot what for except that she was in the right, so i took my lumps).

So he signed the book with "It wasn't my fault! "
      Last edited by PepperElf; 07-17-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Real person living: Carol Berg. Because her books are just so damn awesome.

Real person dead: Mr. and Mrs. J.R.R. Tolkien. Yes, both of them. I'd like to sit in on a reading of pretty much anything he wrote, as well as have a drink with him. And with her because I'd like to know what it's like to be the inspiration for Luthien.

Real person fictional: This is harder, because I love so many fictional characters. If I had to pick only one, I'd pick Janx from C.E. Murphy's Negotiator trilogy.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Real person living: Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's incredibly passionate and seems approachable and just beyond my meager brain but still translatable.

Real person dead: My grandfather who passed when I was 17. I feel that as an adult we could have such amazing conversations. Plus, he's missing so many good books right now, I sometimes catch myself thinking "Oh, Grandpa will love this!...oh, sad now" almost a decade later.

Fictional: Tyrion Lannister.

Comment

Real person living: Not sure on this one, I've been lucky enough to meet a few people I've wanted to. Also I've hung out with Todd McCaffery at Dragon*con (I can say I've had breakfast with a New York Times Best selling Author ) but probably I probably go with some one like Joi (so I can tell her how awesome she is face to face) or maybe Christopher Lee.

Real person dead: I like have one last drink with my husband (of course) or Peter Cushing.

Real person fictional: Tough choice. The Doctor would be good or Daine (Tamora Pierce's The Immortals Quartet).

I've also met a fictional character in Real Life in fact I had her in my front room We had a Kiwi friend who was working in the UK at the time and she took some time out to come and see us. It happens she was featured as a character in the Freedom books (Anne McCaffrey) and my Husband was in the dedication as YorkHarper
            As soon as I start thinking
            That I'm sensible and sane
            The Random Hedgehog comes along
            And fiddles with my Brain
            (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
              Fictional: Serge A. Storms - I would make sure to stay on his good side of course.
              How in the hell did I forget about Serge? Damn it.

Well, honestly, I'd want to DRINK with Coleman, but HANG OUT with Serge. Big difference.

But to my credit, I HAVE gotten Tim Dorsey drunk, the first time I met him. I haven't actually had a drink with him per se, just got him sloshed when he came to my bar after I met him for the first time at a local book signing. (He noticed my work shirt and commented that he and his wife had honeymooned at that hotel.)

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              So yes, I really can say that I've met a fictional character in real life.
              Technically, you met the person the fictional character was based on. Just saying.

Quoth blondemarmot View Post
              Real person dead: My grandfather who passed when I was 17.
              Another d'oh moment for me. Forgot about my Dad, who died when I was 10. But then, to be honest, Dad wasn't much of a drinker. More than Mom, of course, but less than any of his children, from what I can tell.

Quoth blondemarmot View Post
              Fictional: Tyrion Lannister.
              Oh, that's a good one. Though I would not want to have *A* drink with him, I would want to GO DRINKING with him. He'd be a hoot!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Technically, you met the person the fictional character was based on. Just saying.
                Purist!

Although the drinking vs hanging out distinction is a good point. There's at least one name on my list that... I'm not sure is a drinker. but that's OK. it can be colas too in my book

Comment

As I said, the drinks don't have to be alcohol. I know a lot of people like to have social situations over coffee. I myself have never enjoyed the stuff, and have only ever had six sips of it, but I get the idea of "getting together for coffee." Similar idea, socially speaking, as getting together for a drink.

And I don't know if my comment makes me a purist. I'd go for the title of "Semanticist," though. And I have no idea if that's actually a word or if I just made it up. I do notice, however, that my computer did NOT highlight it as an incorrect word.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Real Person, Living: Alexi Laiho, because he seems like a fun guy.

Real Person, Dead: Rugz's grandpa, because I didn't get to meet him and everyone says that we would have been great friends.

Fictional Person: Either Harry Dresden or Beka Cooper despite the trouble that they tend to attract.
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Real Person Living: Gale Harold...my favorite actor, and a very fun and unusual, brilliant man

Real Person Dead: My paternal grandmother, and my maternal grandfather and grandmother. All died before I was born or before I was old enough to know them, and to this day I wish I could have just ONE day with them.\

Real Person Fictional: This is a tough one. I'd say Gale's character Brian Kinney of Queer as Folk, but having a drink with Gale himself would cover that, sort of, so...I'm not sure.

Fun thread! Thanks for getting it going!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Real Person living: Terry Pratchett

Real person dead: my father - I never had a chance to get to know him.

Fictional person: Nanny Ogg (Granny Weatherwax would be a bit too intimidating!), or The Doctor - popular chap that he is.

Comment

Real person, living: my mind is blanking... I'll update if I come up with one.

Real person, dead: Jesus or Ghandi

Fictional character: Dumbledore, Gandalf, Rupert Giles, Dean Winchester, Sam Winchester, or the Doctor ^_^
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Good question Jester,hmm let me think

Real Person Living: Terry Pratchett- he'd be fun and interesting to talk to.

Real Person Dead: Leonardo da Vinci

Fictional Person: Iris (the central character from the 'Drawn' game series) because watching people react to her particular gift would be interesting.

Comment

I'd be going for coffee or a soft drink, but...

Real, living: Jason Statham- I'd want to hear some of his stories about working in movies and similar.

Real, dead: Theodore Roosevelt- Even if we have little in common, he just seems like an awesome person.

Fictional: Ugh, that's tough. For now, I'm going to go with Max from Dark Cloud 2.
                              Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Oooh, yes, Nanny Ogg! Although I'd like to have a drink with Granny Weatherwax, too....which in her case I suppose would be tea because she doesn't hold with the stronger stuff...
                                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X