X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
    It's mostly his eyes reacting,
    I completely sympathize. My sensitivity to cutting onions has gone up since I stopped wearing contact lenses (Hubby and I have found that for us, at least, wearing contacts helps with the sting). The type of onion does definitely have an effect, though, as well as refrigeration. There are days I can cut several onions and not react at all, and others where the first cut has me setting the knife down because my eyes just won't stay open.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Yet for all other fruit I much prefer fresh. In fact I thought I hated pineapple for years because I only had canned and it has an odd texture.
    With the exception of the pineapple, YES. I do like canned pineapple about equally with fresh.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      Can't have bananas, as I'm allergic.
      Sounds like $Diety is monkeying with your metabolism.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Sounds like $Diety is monkeying with your metabolism.
        $Diety | Murphy

Universe operations & maintenance have been outsourced...

Which explains a lot.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I guess I'm not up on my food trends. Had no idea sweet spuds and red velvet were trending. No thanks on red velvet. But I do like sweet potatoes.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I deeply detest raw tomatoes, it's the taste and the texture --> YUCK. I like them cooked, though, as a soup or sauce.
            I'm always willing to try out new foods, but tomatoes are off the table.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Heh, that's my wife. Hates raw tomatoes. Loves ketchup, various tomato-based sauces (pizza, pasta, etc.), and even salsa.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I guess I'm not up on my food trends. Had no idea sweet spuds and red velvet were trending. No thanks on red velvet. But I do like sweet potatoes.
                So far this week (Tuesday) we have had red velvet items in the break room twice. Cake one day and cookies another. I generally think of them as "food dyed red."

I think the tomato thing is pretty common, Beemused. I'm the exact same as you. Though every few years I will try some tomatoes, just to see. My tastes have changed drastically since childhood, so I'm always hopeful that I will like them. As a kid I didn't even like red sauce, and now I do. I didn't like mustard, and now I looove it. Same with ginger and a lot of Thai and Indian food which has coconut and/or lemongrass. Used to hate now love. So maybe someday I will like everything.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                  I deeply detest raw tomatoes, it's the taste and the texture --> YUCK. I like them cooked, though, as a soup or sauce.
                  I'm always willing to try out new foods, but tomatoes are off the table.
                  I think this short bit from the late George Carlin sums it up best
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_94cHnHBo
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                    Bitter melon. I thought it was celery and picked it up for my lunch while working at a buffet restaurant, but I was so wrong.

Also, Campbell's vegetable soup. Yuck! There was just something in it that made a can of it taste sour.

But now I stick with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. Yum!
                    OMG Campbell's Veg soup is probably my second favorite food in the world (after spaghetti!) I don't eat it much anymore because too many carbs, but I still love it. It's one of the things I ate often when I was a kid, now it's almost comfort food
                    We don't eat processed stuff much anymore.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No accounting for taste, but I still go every time someone says they don't like fresh tomatoes. I wait all year for the farmer's markets to get the ones that actually taste like something. A real, vine-ripe tomato has to be one of my absolute favorite foods. I think I like them even more than Colorado Palisade peaches. Maybe it's just that the store-bought ones when they're not in season taste a lot like cardboard? I have to roast them or something to get them to have some flavor.
                      Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I used to call the winter tomatoes we would get in the midwest "mashed-potato tomatoes". Because that was roughly what they tasted like and their texture was--red-tinted mashed potatoes.

I had some fresh Roma tomatoes my mom was growing (many years later, not in the midwest, and not in winter!) and they were just amazing... "Oh, this is what a tomato actually tastes like!!"
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          I think this short bit from the late George Carlin sums it up best
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_94cHnHBo
                          Lolz even though I love raw ripe tomatoes and cooked tomatoes that was so funny "oooolllooough!"

No accounting for taste, but I still go every time someone says they don't like fresh tomatoes. I wait all year for the farmer's markets to get the ones that actually taste like something. A real, vine-ripe tomato has to be one of my absolute favorite foods. I think I like them even more than Colorado Palisade peaches. Maybe it's just that the store-bought ones when they're not in season taste a lot like cardboard? I have to roast them or something to get them to have some flavor.
                          Ikr? I could eat them till I pop. They have to be "perfect" though...no bruises, no holes, ripe and red. Those with those things taste nasty. My bro once ate one with a worm in it and it put him off for years. Still everyone's got their taste.

The only fruit that I've tried and don't really like is papaya. My parents made me drink a smoothie of it when I was young and I gagged. I asked what it was and thought they said Popeye. Lol
                          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I don't like roasted edamame. I dunno what the roasting process does to edamame but it makes it feel rubbery and extra dry to me. I love fresh edamame and steamed edamame....but not roasted.

Tomatoes... I love eating them but unless I have a tomato slicer... I hate prepping them. I once had to prep 8 pans of tomatoes....and our tomato slicer was busted...which meant I had to slice as evenly as I could, 64 effing tomatoes by hand. Greatly improved my knife skills...but forever made tomatoes my enemy.

Comment

A serrated knife helps cut tomatoes evenly Thana. Gets through the skin.

Comment

If a regular knife won't cut a tomato properly, it's not sharp enough.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X