This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    XC -- OK then, I sit corrected. I guess that every official handbook I've ever (personally) encountered has it wrong -- definitely NOT outside the realm of possibility -- either that, or it's retail jargon that never made it into common use.
    Most likely the former. Once somebody uses it, the next guy thinks that's the right way. I can't tell you how many arguments I've had with clients (and co-irkers) over the use of the copyright symbol: you only use the symbol, the word or the abbreviation "Copr" ( e.g. copyright © CS.com is incorrect - as is the notice at the bottom of this page) but people see it used incorrectly and assume that it's the way to do it. There's even one copyright law article that states exactly how to display it properly followed by an INCORRECT example.
    Last edited by Dadeo; 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Brain go BSOD. I can understand an attractive young woman paying in singles (and your desire to use PLENTY of hand sanitizer after handling them),but a man?
      Oh, we get those too. Actually, it's usually these young women that pay in singles. And yes, I keep hand sanitizer at the desk at all times.

Comment

My coworker will fish through his wallet to find the exact change for the transaction - I call him "Grandma". I, on the other hand, actively solicit change. I dump it all in a jar at the end of the day and by December I have enough to buy myself a little gift. Last year it was a 55" TV.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          Xcashier, I can beat you in that. I had some idiots pay for a gadget (I think it was a DVD player, all I remember for sure was that it was something electronic), price about $100...

...with penny rolls. 200 of them.
          Well ... at least they were in rolls, and not just loose in a paper bag.

Quoth Jester View Post
          I know that expression quite well, as I have worn it. Not at a supermarket, but at a restaurant. It was rather embarrassing.

Back when my favorite sushi place was in their old less swanky digs, I went in one night, had a lovely sushi dinner, washed down with a couple of Kirin Ichibans (of course), and when the bill came, I reached for my....WHERE THE HELL IS MY WALLET!!??! It's not in the pocket it should be in...not in the other pocket...or any pocket. Oh, holy hell! I must have left it back home.

And that's when it dawned on me. I am actually going to have to tell these people that I don't have a wallet on me to pay for my dinner. Fanfreakintastic! So I called the waiter over and said, "Hey man, I'm an idiot. It appears I left my wallet at home. I will be RIGHT back." As I was a regular there, and they recognized me, they said it was no problem. And I RACED home, grabbed my wallet off of my dresser, and raced back to the sushi place, paying the bill and tipping well (of course).

A month later, I walked in for dinner again. First words out of the mouth of the hostess (aka the Owner's Wife): "So...do you have your wallet today?"

The upside of being a regular: they trusted you to go get your wallet and come back.

The downside of being a regular: a month later, they still remember ...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            I can understand an attractive young woman paying in singles (and your desire to use PLENTY of hand sanitizer after handling them),but a man?
            It's 3 am. Just where do you think the guy was coming from? I am guessing it wasn't church.

And if you didn't know, generally speaking, when those types of establishments give you change so you can tip the entertainment, they don't usually let you sell it back at the end of the night. (They'll get plenty for their tills from the entertainers selling it back to them.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Dadeo View Post
              There's even one copyright law article that states exactly how to display it properly followed by an INCORRECT example.
              I encountered this back at AccountingFirm -- anytime we dealt with businesses, we had to make sure that the business entity type (e.g., S-Corp, L.L.C., and the like) were abbreviated just so -- the most common was Limited Liability Corporation, or L.L.C. -- If I put LLC on a document, website, etc., I was made to go back and correct it.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X