Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're going to do WHAT with a knife?!

Now, I did expect to get comments. I have long auburn/red hair with natural highlights. On Thursday, I went to a salon and had the front bleached almost white, kind of like Rogue. It's actually more of a brassy color since red is one of the hardest colors to lift, but I digress. It looks different and I really like it, so do most other people.

Last night, one of my regulars walks up and his eyes bug out.

"What the HELL did you do to your hair?! I don't like it, that's awful!"

Later, rinse, repeat. Oh my god, he won't shut up about it. I flatly told him "Well it's not your head, is it?!" and he still kept up. Then his wife walks up.

"What on earth is going on, what is your problem?"

*Points* "Look what she did to her hair, I don't like it, ugh, that blonde in the front!"

Wife: "... SO? It's not your problem or your hair."

"But . . . but LOOK at her! She looks like something from outer space. If I had a knife I'd cut it all off right now!"

Wife: "SHUT UP and get your medicine!"

I only thought about it afterwards, but fucking hell . . . it's a good thing he's a regular, but if he pulls that again or mentions cutting my hair, I WILL bring up the fact that I could probably count that as a threat on my person and threaten to call security. Generally, not a a smart move to say things like that to people who work in, say, a PHARMACY, who have access already to all your information.

Gah!

But . . . . don't care. Still like my white streaks
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

What a rude s.o.b.!
    People just don'y seem to know how to keep their mouths shut anymore.
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Wow... it sounds like he was harping you. What you do with your hair is your choice and the only thing that matters is if YOU like it. (And if work approves) I dyed my hair bleach blond with purple and pink highlights in the front, and my family had a field day with me. Now its a perfect red and I love it. Believe or not when I first dyed it red I got a lot of good comments from the older people in a retirement home I was visiting.
      Last edited by Redhead17; 01-20-2013, 01:59 AM.
      Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
      - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
      - Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

I've gotten several compliments from older people on my hair-front is blue to my chin, purple to the tips, and a chunk of fuchsia behind the two tone to set it off-rest is natural auburnish(listed as strawberry blond on my ID)
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Most people really liked it, he was the only one who flipped out like that. My Dad didn't even react that badly. I only wish the stylist could have gotten it a pure white or silver, but she didn't want to damage the hair too much and said I can come back in a couple months for a redo and root touch up. It's just a little yellow with a few spots of orange here and there And if I do decide I want to do rainbow colors, well, the palette is ready now. But I like it like this.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
            Wife: "SHUT UP and take your medicine!"
            Fixed that.

Good wife, to try to salvage her hubby's dignity by shutting him up!
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'm going to assume his medication was to keep him from flying off at the handle.

The most extreme I've ever gone with hair was my mutton chops. I used to get so many compliments for them, but they became a pain to maintain and I haven't gone back since. *Sigh*

Comment

I have dark brown hair but I used to have really lovely auburn highlights in it ... before Father Time caught up with me, curse his hide! I'd give anything to have them back.

However, I've seen some unusual hair colourings that I wish I could emulate, and as others here have said, the only real issue is whether you like the results.

If somebody made a comment to me that involved the words, "If I had a knife ..." I'd be tempted to pick up the nearest phone, look pointedly at the person and say, "That sounded like a threat" and call security or 911. Let them explain themselves to the security guards/police/judge.

Kudos to his wife for trying to get him to STFU!

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                  Most people really liked it, he was the only one who flipped out like that. My Dad didn't even react that badly. I only wish the stylist could have gotten it a pure white or silver, but she didn't want to damage the hair too much and said I can come back in a couple months for a redo and root touch up. It's just a little yellow with a few spots of orange here and there And if I do decide I want to do rainbow colors, well, the palette is ready now. But I like it like this.
                  for pure white ask about using manic panic over the bleached portions, it's vegetable based so it won't damage, it's what I've always used in my hair.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

You call that a knife? THIS is a knife!
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I can't help but hope his pills were concentrated alkaline, to offset his horrid natural acidity
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I wish I could do something funky like that, but, sigh, I have to look 'professional' and 'hair must be a natural color and styled in good taste.' Gah.
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

White hair is a natural color *cough* But I know what you mean. I think five years ago, I would have gotten in trouble. But all my boss did was take one look at me, say "What the heck, Shiny?" and that was it. Not a word from him about it since

Comment

Holy Mother... as a long haired obsessed person, I would have been mighty offended at that statement and told him flat out that is a threat. Because it is.

Someone at work tried telling me I should cut my hair and donate it. Needless to say I've developed The Stink Eye and upon detonation people step away and shut up. No. You have no right to tell me what to do with my hair, buzz off.

It took all I had to not go on the LOL rant and how my hair, while healthy, is not LOL material because of the henna and bleach it has at the ends. --yeah, don't get me started.

In other news, that sounds like a fantastic look, OP. While I may have some bleach in my hair I don't dare lift it further than it already has. I just wanted it light enough to take Pillar Box Red from MP and look remotely vibrant. Any lighter and I won't be able to grow out my hair as much as I want. -- but that's another rant for another board.
                            "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                              I wish I could do something funky like that, but, sigh, I have to look 'professional' and 'hair must be a natural color and styled in good taste.' Gah.
                              I'm lucky I work at the Call Center for a salon and they don't care. As long as its fashion forward and well maintained, the company doesn't care. Essentially I can dye my hair purple (and had a few streaks for a while two years ago) I just had to keep them from fading to a brassy orange. (the purple I used was warmer toned and eventually faded to pink and if I let that fade some more it turned icky orange.)
                              "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                              X