This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    Xcashier, I can beat you in that. I had some idiots pay for a gadget (I think it was a DVD player, all I remember for sure was that it was something electronic), price about $100...

...with penny rolls. 200 of them.
    Quoth Tama View Post
    They actually said that they cashed a check and ASKED FOR IT like that.
    To me, that sounds like they did it on purpose, for just that purpose. Which makes them complete and total jerks in my opinion.

Comment

They wanted to be the "first ones to do it"...whatever the hell that meant.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Everytime I see this entry in the lists of posts I have "Counting Out Time" by Genesis in my head.

Comment

While I'm out driving, I almost always have a soda with me. (Big time caffeine addict, but I hate coffee.) In the Phoenix area, sodas are generally either 86¢ or 87¢ after taxes, depending on which town the store is in. For my first soda, I pay with a dollar bill, getting back 13¢ or 14¢. For the next few sodas, I use the small change I keep getting back (for my second soda I pay $1.11 (or $1.12, depending) and I get back a quarter, my third soda I pay $1.01 and get back a dime and a nickel, etc). The quarters I get, I keep. (Well, actually, I use them for change; a couple accounts require exact change, with no tip allowed. )
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I get a lot of people paying for a $70 room in ones. A little irritating, but I can live with it. I had one just 5 minutes ago come in and do it, and this one irritated me slightly.

Now during night shift, the lobby is locked and guests have to go to the night window. I had a local come in (it's ALWAYS the locals that give me trouble) and pay me in all ones. Then he was bitching at me to hurry up because it was cold outside. Well, if you don't want to be cold, DON'T check-in at 3 in the morning and DON'T pay in all ones.

I went a little slow on purpose.

Comment

Quoth Magic And Pancakes View Post
              I get a lot of people paying for a $70 room in ones. A little irritating, but I can live with it. I had one just 5 minutes ago come in and do it, and this one irritated me slightly.
              We have one regular that pays in ones. I could go on a whole rant about him, but that's for another thread (he does some pretty scammy panhandling stuff, not even just regular panhandling but a scammy kind, which is why he has mostly $1 bills to pay in).

Last night, though, was a new one. A guest paid for a large portion of his room in $2 bills. Unfortunately I only had enough cash to buy one of them out of the till (Hubby likes to collect them).

One guy's change came to $14.xx, so I gave him a ten and two of the $2 bills, and he had to do a double-take.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I don't mind people giving me exact change at all; it's better than the people who decimate my change drawer by handing over large notes for small purchases. And the people who pay with bags of pound coins... I once had a customer buy £50 worth of fuel with fifty pound coins. Argh.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Today was fun. I had a bunch of people come in and buy (literally) $1-2 worth of stuff and pay with either a $50 or $100 bill. On top of being on recovery (or in a recession) of some kind of stomach bug, you can guess how my mood was when the 6th person of the day tried to do this.
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

From when I worked in retail ...? Anywhere from $50 to $150 as a float, almost all in ones and fives. Higher amounts tend to be in places like GameStore, where individual items can cost more than $50 easily. Most places have far, far less.

The thing is, everybody KNOWS that cashiers logically don't keep too much in their tils (that's with ONE 'L', boys and girls ) if they can help it (then again, it's that most uncommon thing in the world, common sense...), mostly so the company doesn't lose too much money if they get robbed -- the people who do this sort of thing regularly seem to be under the delusion that they are impressing someone.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM. Reason: of, if, whatever
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth static
                      How much money do you people have in your tills to change these 50s and 100s?

I only have an €80 float so I'm wiped out if 2-3 people try it.
                      Well, people buy a lot of scratch tickets here and pay with twenties. I was lucky enough that between the jerks paying with big bills for $2.00 worth of stuff I had people coming in and buying ~$60.00 in either scratch or prepaying for gas.

Typically we're only supposed to have about $100.00 in twenties (the rest is supposed to get dropped into a safe we don't have the key to) but I had a bad feeling about today so I never dropped.
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        cashiers logically don't keep too much in their tils (that's with ONE 'L', boys and girls )
                        Nope, it's two "L"s. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/till?s=t Scroll down to the third definition, the noun.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hell, people with 20s could wipe me out in a matter of minutes, if they all came in and got less than $10 worth of stuff in a row.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ah lottery, bringing in people to buy $20/$10 tickets constantly to refill my till. <3 I appreciate it a lot more now.

Comment

Quoth Magic And Pancakes View Post

Now during night shift, the lobby is locked and guests have to go to the night window. I had a local come in (it's ALWAYS the locals that give me trouble) and pay me in all ones. Then he was bitching at me to hurry up because it was cold outside. Well, if you don't want to be cold, DON'T check-in at 3 in the morning and DON'T pay in all ones.
                              Brain go BSOD. I can understand an attractive young woman paying in singles (and your desire to use PLENTY of hand sanitizer after handling them),but a man?
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

XC -- OK then, I sit corrected. I guess that every official handbook I've ever (personally) encountered has it wrong -- definitely NOT outside the realm of possibility -- either that, or it's retail jargon that never made it into common use.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X