This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Day... Another Angry Dad....

Here's another one that came to me 3rd party, this time, the unlucky victim of SC wrath was Rescue Rick, another tower I've never mentioned before, so named because he came to us after spending years working as an EMT/Fireman, he's got some pretty good stories from those occupations by the way, as long as you haven't eaten anything before he starts reminiscing about the guy who'd been dead for a month in his recliner before they found him.....

Anyway, Rick gets called for an illegally-parked car. Pretty obviously illegal, parking ticket issued BY the property owner through their lot monitor under the wiper and a 15 minute wait had come and gone and everything.

Well, no sooner than he has it lifted than he finds himself surrounded by a virtual Greek Chorus. It's apparently Mom, Dad, Son, Daughter and Grandma.... all trying to argue their way out of the tow at once, they simply CAN'T be towed for illegal parking, they were across the street unloading groceries.

Rick calls time out and tells the crowd that he's only interested in talking to the owner of the vehicle, so Dad steps forward.

Again, Dad argues they were just across the street for, wait for it, "a minute".

Rick tells him that if he was across the street, that's no good because that apartment doesn't belong to the lot he's parked in. And, it was quite a bit more than a minute because the ticket on the car was issued about 18 minutes ago, he can check the time himself if he needs convincing. Dad pulls the ticket, examines it, and then accuses Rick of "hiding" and waiting until he left to come and get the car.

Rick tells him no, he was called by the lot monitor on this one, and was about 2 miles away when it was called in, which is why it took him a bit to get there, and none of that changes the fact that Dad's illegally parked, and between the drop and ticket, he owes us $80

Guy pulls out the required $20's and holds them out. Rick goes to take them, but Dad suddenly pulls them back so Rick only grabs air.

"You can put the car down first" Dad says

"Uh, no, you pay, THEN the car gets put down" Rick explains

"No! You put the car down or I don't give you any money!" Dad says

"Money first Sir"

"Or what?"

"Or I tow it and you'll be looking at $130 in charges back at the garage"

"You can't do that!"

"Watch me, I'll tow if you don't pay"

"I will pay once you put my car down!"

"Have it your way" Rick says, and resumes loading

Dad grumbles, forks over the cash, and announces, loudly, his intent to call the garage and complain.... about what? I dunno, but he was sure adamant that a complaint was a comin' down the pike. "WHATS YOUR NAME?!" he demands

Rick tells him, and points out his name and number (both radio# and truck#) are on the tow sheet, of which Dad will get a carbon copy. Dad stabs a finger at the top of the receipt , where the header clearly says:

TOW/SERVICE SLIP
    FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD TOWING
    100 MAIN ST, ANYTOWN, USA, 12345 xxx-xxx-xxxx

And asks "And THAT is your company name?!!! That's the company you work for?!"

Rick takes the sheet walks back to his truck, puts a hand under his chin, stares intently and dramatically at the top of the sheet, then turns and stares intently and dramatically at the door of his truck that has the same logo/name on it, then stares again at the top of the sheet, walks back to Dad, and says

"Yup! It sure is!"

Dad didn't like that too much, and was still blubbering on about how unfair it was to stalk and tow someone who's just illegally parked for only a couple of seconds as Rick left.

Don't know if Dad actually called to complain after all, but if he did, and got Towing Manager, who's week hasn't gotten any better since the last story, he probably didn't get the response he wanted.

In fact, manager is so tired of guys like this harassing him this week, he's gone into full C.B. Bucknor mode.... he doesn't care what happened, he doesn't care what that video replay shows, he's right, you're wrong, now get off the field and hit the showers.......
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    In fact, manager is so tired of guys like this harassing him this week, he's gone into full C.B. Bucknor mode.... he doesn't care what happened, he doesn't care what that video replay shows, he's right, you're wrong, now get off the field and hit the showers.......
    Now THAT'S funny.

Comment

It boggles my mind that people who get towed think that they're your customers. Obviously your customers are the people who own the lots that you tow from. What do they think they can do? Request to be towed by a different company because they think your drivers are rude? Illegal parking = towed vehicle. Oy.
      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
        What do they think they can do? Request to be towed by a different company because they think your drivers are rude?
        They can restrict their illegal parking to lots whose warning signs cite other towing companies.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
          They can restrict their illegal parking to lots whose warning signs cite other towing companies.
          Now you know they don't read signs. They wouldn't know who tows from where ever they illegally park.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
            Now you know they don't read signs. They wouldn't know who tows from where ever they illegally park.
            This, you may (or may not) be surprised by the number of people who call us looking for their car despite the fact they got towed from a place we don't contract with.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It does amuse me that they think they're your customers. They really don't grasp how the towing service works, do they?

Comment

Rescue Brick
                is what I misread the name ass, which gave rather amusing mental images of someone throwing a brick in a random "person needs help" scenario shouting "Rescue Brick GO!"
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                  is what I misread the name ass, which gave rather amusing mental images of someone throwing a brick in a random "person needs help" scenario shouting "Rescue Brick GO!"
                  That's Krazy, Kat.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                    It does amuse me that they think they're your customers. They really don't grasp how the towing service works, do they?
                    I remember an old episode of Parking Wars (?) on A&E where a couple guys whose rental car had been towed had gone to get their car back.

Every now and then during the process of getting their car back one or the other would comment to the guy behind the counter, whose give-a-damn was clearly busted, "Well, I wonder how your supervisor would react to the way you're treating customers!"

And no matter how many times the guy shut them down (or the supervisor, who tartly informed them that picking up a car that had been towed for being illegally parked is NOT a customer-service type situation) they just kept at it.

They just could not comprehend that the guy who towed their car, the guy collecting the fine so they could get that car back, the guy bringing them to the lot to get the car back, or their supervisor DID NOT CARE who they were, and DID NOT CARE if they were happy with their customer service experience, and DID NOT CARE if they ever came back to Philadelphia.

Funniest ten minutes of television EVAR!
                    I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

I saw that episode of Parking Wars! Couldn't stop laughing. If I recall correctly the worker's boss was behind him and said that as the worker wasn't yelling, she thought he was doing pretty darn good. It was epic!

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                        And no matter how many times the guy shut them down (or the supervisor, who tartly informed them that picking up a car that had been towed for being illegally parked is NOT a customer-service type situation) they just kept at it.

They just could not comprehend that the guy who towed their car, the guy collecting the fine so they could get that car back, the guy bringing them to the lot to get the car back, or their supervisor DID NOT CARE who they were, and DID NOT CARE if they were happy with their customer service experience, and DID NOT CARE if they ever came back to Philadelphia.

Funniest ten minutes of television EVAR!
                        Oh, man, I want to see that now. I used to love watching the Southwest Airlines show just to watch SCs get denied and stew in the airport. NO is something that the average customer hears too few times.

Argabarga, your threads are always full of WIN. So refreshing to see that not everyone has to bend over for these...people.

Comment

Now I want to see an Orkin commercial where the rats and termites are at the main office complaining that they are receiving poor customer service from the Pest Control company.
                          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                            Now I want to see an Orkin commercial where the rats and termites are at the main office complaining that they are receiving poor customer service from the Pest Control company.
                            With the tagline "pests hate us, customers love us"
                            Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

There's customers you serve, and customers you service.

Comment

Working...
                              X