This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
    If one of them says "I hope he dies" (pray that none do!), then that's the one you should investigate.
    Anyone who would say that, I hope they die. Preferably slowly and painfully.

But people like that, I wouldn't investigate. I would just keep far the fuck away from them, especially with three kids and two dogs to take care of.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      But people like that, I wouldn't investigate. I would just keep far the fuck away from them, especially with three kids and two dogs to take care of.
      Or give the info to the police and let them investigate. People who deliberately poison others' pets need to be stopped and imprisoned.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well, animal control came by today. Looks like there's a likely culprit. The officer didn't say so in so many terms, but the general feeling is that this was no accident. We really can't prove anything at this point, but it's in the appropriate legal hands.

Baxter had a check up today. The vet is extremely happy with his progress.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd
          Well, animal control came by today. Looks like there's a likely culprit. The officer didn't say so in so many terms, but the general feeling is that this was no accident. We really can't prove anything at this point, but it's in the appropriate legal hands.

Baxter had a check up today. The vet is extremely happy with his progress.
          That sucks. I hope they catch the bastard who did this.

So glad to hear Baxter is doing better, though! Sounds like his progress is excellent.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I just want to snuggle your dog. He's gorgeous.

And hopefully the police nail whoever did that to him, to the legal wall.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Baxter is definitely a huge snuggle bug. Actually, if he lays on his side he makes a great pillow to lean back on and watch tv or play video games. His main issue is he doesn't realize how big he is, and sometimes gets overly friendly. Also, that wagging tail can be pretty dangerous for most men. The height is just perfect to cause unintended pain.

He's holding pretty steady today. The trip to the vet exhausted him, so he's spent most of the rest of the day sleeping. All in all, I'm very pleased with his progress and have turned from cautiously optimistic to pretty darned sure all will turn out well.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

And he's back to trying to steal the beer. Yes, my dog is a lush. No, he doesn't get beer unless he manages to sneak it somehow. He's also fond of Jack Daniel's and red wine, though I try really hard to keep him away from the alcohol. On rare occasion he's managed to get a few sips before I caught him. So, I went to where he is to hang out with him for a bit and he lunged for the beer in my hands. Yup, his old personality is coming back just fine.

Comment

Jeez, I'm off line for a few days and all hell breaks loose.

Mathnerd, Baxter is GORGEOUS! Hope everything is okay. I'd have blamed the mall (not literally as in 'lawsuit' or anything) myself because they do put out rat poison. I've actually seen it at a mall here! They weren't all that careful about it. But if it's actually a neighbor - I hope someone finds evidence of it. Only soulless bastards do things like that.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    Also, that wagging tail can be pretty dangerous for most men. The height is just perfect to cause unintended pain.
                    I wouldn't doubt he's cleared off the coffee table a few times, too!

Your Baxter is quite adorable. He looks like a big, velvet-furred cuddle puppy. I'm glad he's getting better. It sounds like he consumed only a very small amount, or maybe his size reduced the problem.
                    My LiveJournal

Comment

Thanks! Of course, you know all these compliments are doing nothing for his ego problem! He already thinks the whole world adores him and takes a person's refusal to pet him as a personal affront. He's an awesome dog, even if I sometimes claim not to like him. (Yeah, I know. That last part isn't true. I love the dumb dog, even if he drives me batty sometimes.)

Mooncat, my initial thought was that it was the strip mall, but a few other things have happened, including the verbal and nonverbal reaction of the animal control officer who came out today that puts the evil neighbor theory very high on the list. The other thing that rules out the strip mall is that I've been in contact with the property management company and while they do use rat poison, they do not use the one that Baxter ingested.

XCashier, that pretty much sums him up. He's an oversized snuggle puppy, and his fur is very soft. And yes, he's cleared more than his fair share of coffee tables. I think a combination of his size, age and general very good health before this has helped him get this far in his recovery as fast as he has. He's not completely out of the woods. He could still develop an infection in the damaged parts of his stomach and intestines, or anywhere else there was internal bleeding, but he's on precautionary antibiotics in addition to the meds to counteract the poison.

In good news, there's a butcher at a local small market that has a soft spot for animals. Baxter is on a bland diet of mostly white rice and cottage cheese, with any boiled down meat scraps I care to toss in. Meat is expensive, so I talked to the butcher tonight and asked if he had any scraps or bones he could sell me for cheap so I could boil them down (feeding him the meat and using the water from boiling to cook the rice). He had kind of a confused look and I explained that I wanted it to help with the feeding of a sick dog. As soon as I said "dog" his eyes lit up and he scurried to the back and came back with a large bag of scraps, handed it to me and said "no charge", and then told me to come back when I needed more. There really are awesome people in this world.

Comment

Glad to hear Baxter is doing well after his misadventure, and I hope whoever fed him poison (or was simply criminally careless with it) gets EXACTLY what they deserve for such an act.

How's he react with people scared of large dogs? I get very visibly nervous and frightened when I meet a large dog for the first time, and sometimes this kicks off an aggressive reaction from the dog. I've had dogs that people swore up and down were big cuddly puppies lunge and snap at me (complete with flattened ears and 'I'm gonna eat your face, no kidding' death growls) with no warning or provocation aside from me being scared. Other dogs give me that big silly dog grin that says clearly 'Hiya, how ya doin? Wanna scratch my ears? Yea, just like that.' Unfortunately I've gotten the first reaction often enough that I insist that any dog new to me be restrained the first time I meet it.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Kittish, if a stranger comes to his house, he will bark but not cross the line into snapping and growling without cause. He also stops the second I tell him the stranger is ok. When we are in public, he's like an attention starved puppy, tail wagging and hoping everybody will pet him. I've trained him to "ask permission" to approach people in public for exactly the reason you describe.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            In good news, there's a butcher at a local small market that has a soft spot for animals. Baxter is on a bland diet of mostly white rice and cottage cheese, with any boiled down meat scraps I care to toss in. Meat is expensive, so I talked to the butcher tonight and asked if he had any scraps or bones he could sell me for cheap so I could boil them down (feeding him the meat and using the water from boiling to cook the rice). He had kind of a confused look and I explained that I wanted it to help with the feeding of a sick dog. As soon as I said "dog" his eyes lit up and he scurried to the back and came back with a large bag of scraps, handed it to me and said "no charge", and then told me to come back when I needed more. There really are awesome people in this world.
                            Aw. That is really sweet. That butcher is an

Did the white rice/cottage cheese when my dog had stomach problems; she yummed it down like it was ice cream! Hopefully Baxter likes the combo, too.
                            My LiveJournal

Comment

He's so hungry that he wolfs it down, but I'm not sure that he actually likes it.

He's a lot more active today than he has been, but nowhere near his usual energy level yet. He's even being social with strangers again. I realized at the last minute that my oldest didn't have a transit pass with fare on it to get to school tomorrow so we walked both dogs down to the trolley station to get that taken care of and he happily greeted the people on the platform. He was a lot more sedate than usual, but he was still wanting to be social, which I haven't seen since he got sick. Every little bit of his old personality coming back makes me a very happy dog mommy.

Comment

People like that butcher should be prized. I bet you know where to get your meat when you can afford it.

Good to hear that Baxter is recovering.
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X