This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle people, to me!

I have a 1992 Ford Aerostar Van. The main belt that runs to powersteering, fan, and motor, and water just snapped in half. What the heck is it called so I can look up prices?
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Drive belt. I am guessing part # 8620.

Does this look right?
    http://www.justanswer.com/ford/0puvf...1992-ford.html
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It's a 4.0 but looks right.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Chances are an auto parts store will be able to figure it out. You tell them you need a belt for a 1992 Ford Aerostar, with a 4.0L engine. They should be able to point them all out.

Also, if one belt wore out, the others are probably not far behind.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Mytical, any competent parts house should be able to look up a new belt for you. They're not usually very expensive, and replacing them is fairly easy too.

Avoid the dealer if possible; they tend to be more expensive.

Comment

Couple other possibilities are "fan belt" (you said it goes to the fan, but my understanding is the Aerostar has a transverse engine, and transverse engines generally have electric fans), or "serpentine belt" (instead of a "V" belt, is flat with multiple small "v"s on one side).
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Couple other possibilities are "fan belt" (you said it goes to the fan, but my understanding is the Aerostar has a transverse engine, and transverse engines generally have electric fans), or "serpentine belt" (instead of a "V" belt, is flat with multiple small "v"s on one side).
              Nope, not transverse, that's front wheel drive. Aerostar is a Ford Ranger drivetrain mounted on a subframe and installed in a unibody mid sized van, Astro/Safari is similar.

Just tell the auto parts store you need a new belt, they'll know what you need, can't remember if its a serpentine belt (one for everything), or if it has separate belts as its been a few years since i owned one.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                Avoid the dealer if possible like the plague they are, they tend to be are always going to be far more expensive.
                Fixed it for you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                  Nope, not transverse, that's front wheel drive. Aerostar is a Ford Ranger drivetrain mounted on a subframe and ......
                  *smiles and nods* Uh huh. I need, uhm, that thing that makes the car work more better, please. The whatchamadinky.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    *smiles and nods* Uh huh. I need, uhm, that thing that makes the car work more better, please. The whatchamadinky.
                    Laughs, "Oh come now, its not all that complicated, just completely ridiculous. If the engine is sideways, its front wheel driver, if the engine is straight (feel free to add the joke of your choice), then its likely rear wheel drive. Or did you mean the crazy idea of stuffing a truck engine into effectively a car by using a piece of a frame?"
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Hrph. Motherboards, I understand on that level. Cars? Not so much. I understand "oil goes here, coolant goes here (and why NOT to pop that cap right after I'm done driving), transmission and power steering fluids go in those spots" -- and how & when to check them. That's about it. That's what my brother is for ^_^ I return the favor in kind by helping him with computer issues, at home and at work.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                        If the engine is sideways, its front wheel driver, if the engine is straight (feel free to add the joke of your choice), then its likely rear wheel drive.
                        Pontiac Fiero (transverse engine rear drive), and 4th generation VW Passat (front-to-back engine, front drive), anyone?

Comment

Other notable examples of "north-south" engines in FWD, include the Cord 810/812 and the original Oldsmobile Toronado. The Cord's engine was actually reversed, with the transmission at the front. Drive to the front wheels was via shafts. As for the Olds (and the similar Cadillac Eldorado), the engine was mounted normally. Driving the front wheels was done with chains.

Edit: Back on topic, I just ran a quick search on Pepboys.com, my favorite parts place. They list a serpentine belt for a '92 Aerostar for $23.99. You might want to have the tensioner checked as well. These can fail, sometimes with disastrous results. Having a failed tensioner lunch a belt really sucks!
                          Last edited by protege; 05-03-2014, 02:11 AM.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            You might want to have the tensioner checked as well. These can fail, sometimes with disastrous results. Having a failed tensioner lunch a belt really sucks!
                            You can say that again. I had the tensioner on my truck's serpentine belt die (the pulley on it broke off) on I476. Was able to make it to the Scranton Petro on batteries (set of 4 group 31s has a substantial reserve capacity), so no need for a tow, but the wait for a repair meant that I'd run out of hours before I got back to the yard. Had to overnight there.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Pontiac Fiero (transverse engine rear drive), and 4th generation VW Passat (front-to-back engine, front drive), anyone?
                              No surprise with the Fiero, like the air cooled VWs, its basically what happens if you put a front wheel drive system in the back of the car. Passat isn't the only one like that, my dad's 85 Oldsmobile Toronado was the same way, but its pretty rare, though i don't know why, though it seems to be only true with larger (6 and 8 cylinder) engines, though even sixes are usually transverse. If i had to guess, its to make it more compact as you don't have to turn the power output 90˚ and split it.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Hrph. Motherboards, I understand on that level. Cars? Not so much. I understand "oil goes here, coolant goes here (and why NOT to pop that cap right after I'm done driving), transmission and power steering fluids go in those spots" -- and how & when to check them. That's about it. That's what my brother is for ^_^ I return the favor in kind by helping him with computer issues, at home and at work.
                              I'm close to the same, i'm great on specifications, but really understanding it or being able to fix it? Heh, not happening, i can change my plugs and oil, but especially with the oil, don't find it worth the trouble.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 05-04-2014, 02:36 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                              Seph
                              Taur10

Comment

Working...
                              X