This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more restocking fee @ Best Buy!

And anyone who has had to pay a restocking fee since November 17, will have those refunded to them

Yay!?

Something tells me it's going to get ugly...
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Definitely yay!

When I worked at Circuit Shitty, I thought the restocking fee was retarded and unnecessary. It cost us nothing to put it back on the shelf or in the warehouse. The only purpose it served was to punish the customer and ensure that the company got to keep some of their money. 100% legitimate return does not = 90% of a refund. Defending it to customers was also fun.

ME: "Okay, you can return it but there will be a 10% restocking fee."

C: "Why?"

ME: "Because..... uh.... it's the only way to appease Trogothor, the Elder God of Product Returns?"
      Last edited by Kara; 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

After a couple years of people buying big screen TVs just prior to the Super Bowl, and returning them, obviously used, soon after the game for some cockamamie reason, I am so happy my company charges a restocking fee on stuff like that.

The few mess things up for the many.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          Something tells me it's going to get ugly...
          I predict that we'll see the plan reinstated once some SCs start blowing the dust off the traditional "use & return" scams that caused restocking fees to happen in the first place.

Mind you, prior to the elimination of the fee at the Big Yellow Price Tag, there were only three products with restocking fees: cameras, computers and GPS systems.
          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            After a couple years of people buying big screen TVs just prior to the Super Bowl, and returning them, obviously used, soon after the game for some cockamamie reason, I am so happy my company charges a restocking fee on stuff like that.

The few mess things up for the many.
            Oh, in previous years the Big Yellow Price Tag had a special policy in place regarding TVs purchased to watch the Super Bowl. If they were bought within a certain time period, they were exchange-only.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I recall reading a story about a guy who objected to a restocking fee. He asked if they weren't going to just walk over to the shelf (it was a few feet behind him) and put the product there. They admitted they were. So he walked over and put it on the shelf, then went back to the service desk and asked for his refund. I believe this guy had the receipt, though, and it wasn't a case of use-it-and-return-it, but I could be wrong about that part.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
                Definitely yay!

ME: "Because..... uh.... it's the only way to appease Trogothor, the Elder God of Product Returns?"
                This is awesome, we should tell all customers that this is the reason for anything they disagree with

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                  I predict that we'll see the plan reinstated once some SCs start blowing the dust off the traditional "use & return" scams that caused restocking fees to happen in the first place.

Mind you, prior to the elimination of the fee at the Big Yellow Price Tag, there were only three products with restocking fees: cameras, computers and GPS systems.
                  The same crap happened when I used to work at Staples: people would use us as a rental place instead of a store. When we implemented the restocking fee, we lost a few customers but we also lost the "renters."

We eventually got rid of the fee and customers were happier, but then people started abusing it again.

Comment

Bumping this because of other parts of our return policies that have the potential to lose us customers by the boatful.

Like just about every other big box store, we had electronic items on a special sale for Black Friday. Somebody purchased one of these items, gave it as a Christmas gift, found it didn't work, tried to return it to the store....and was told she was outside the return period specified by our policies, sorry, life's tough, enjoy your non-functional doodad.

So she's informed us via Facebook she's never shopping with us again, and is going to be telling other people to steer clear of us as well.

I understand you don't want people using and abusing items for an extended period of time and then trying to return them, but nobody's going to open up something they bought for a gift for somebody else, test it to make sure it works, and then pack it back up and wrap it.

The item in question had a 15-day return period. Other electronics items have a 30-day return period. Depending on when the item is bought and when it's opened and found to not work, you can end up with a Christmas gift being outside the return period as well.

I don't know why you can't extend the return period to 45 days or so, just for the holidays.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

A lot of places here do extend the return period for the holidays - if you buy it after a certain date (usually in November) you can return it until sometime in January (usually around the 10th or 2 weeks after Christmas).

When I worked at Staples we started the restocking fee, boy was it fun. But, we had a lot of "renters" with laptops, at least 5-10 a month.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                      X