This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafter complaints

I haven't posted in this section of the board in ages; it's been years since I worked with customers. But since my pony rag doll business is paying some bills now, I have actual customer stories again.

I've actually been really lucky; almost all of my buyers are friends or have become friends after purchasing one of my dolls, and I've rarely gotten a commission I disliked. But there are a few...

Guilt-tripping Parents

My dolls are targeted toward the brony community; i.e., adult collectors. These are not toys to be played with. They'll handle some wear and tear, but any 5 year old could split a seam of one in 20 minutes. It's happened.

The worst thing is when a kid sees one of my dolls, and their eyes light up, and their parents ask how much the dolls are. My cheapest dolls are $50, and they can run up to $100. The parents give me this look as if to say, "It's just a doll that you made with scrap fabric, why can't you sell it for $10?" Nobody's ever SAID that, but you can see them thinking it. Sigh. The worst part is, I really wish I could sell them at cost; I'm told I under-value my work, but pricing it any higher seems crazy to me!

Creepers

99.9% of the fans I've interacted with have been fantastic people. Sure, you get some awkward ones, but most of them are really sweet. But there are always a few...

Creeper 1: This guy was creeping on me long before I started sewing. I actually met him at an event once; I don't think he's intentionally being pervy, but he has NO sense of boundaries. When I'd mention on Twitter that my cat was sick, he'd check my location, and send me phone numbers of vets in the area. He'd respond to EVERY TWEET, regardless of the topic. He started following anyone I mentioned I was with. I finally blocked him, because I was tired of it. But before he was blocked, he wanted to order one of my dolls. I was able to get around it for awhile by saying that I didn't ship overseas. But then he ordered through a friend in the States. I'm not entirely comfortable with him having one of my dolls, since I know he's not a fan of the show. It's just...weird.

Creeper 2: This guy means to be nice, but he will not leave me alone! He's commissioned several dolls, which is great, but he's sent stuff to my house, asked for my phone number, had his WIFE ask for my phone number, ask to trade info on Skype so we could chat.... He's backed off every time I told him I wasn't comfortable with something, but he never stops trying. I just finished a commission for him, and I think I may have to tell him that I'm not comfortable having him as a customer anymore.

Ugly Commissions

This latest commission, for the above-mentioned creeper is just hideous. First of all, when I got the commission for his original character, he sent me a bad pencil sketch which was taken in such poor lighting that I literally could not make out the color scheme. I asked for better reference, and he sent a digital art piece. The pony has a dark teal body, purple eyes, and (I am not kidding) a pukey orange-brown mane. I made the doll: it was paid for, and I can be professional about it, but holy hell, did I hate making it! I think some people are just color-blind. (That said, my doll is a HELL of a lot cuter than either drawing! Ha!)
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Wait...

His wife was okay with asking you for your number for him? o.O She was aware of her husband creeping on an internet person?

...the hell!
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      Wait...

His wife was okay with asking you for your number for him? o.O She was aware of her husband creeping on an internet person?

...the hell!
      Slight devil's advocate here, but let me first say I agree that creeper was being a creep.

My mom has a good friendship with a guy in England. They chat online almost every day, swap pictures, send gifts to one another, and so on. Mom is married, as is English Guy. It's just a friendship, one that Dad is comfortable with, and presumably English Guy's Wife doesn't mind either, since all Mom and EG do is chat, talking about goings-on in life, some current events, and movies/etc.

That Creeper McCreeperson was ignoring Joi's "get the fuck away from me" signals is still creepy, though.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        Slight devil's advocate here, but let me first say I agree that creeper was being a creep.

My mom has a good friendship with a guy in England. They chat online almost every day, swap pictures, send gifts to one another, and so on. Mom is married, as is English Guy. It's just a friendship, one that Dad is comfortable with, and presumably English Guy's Wife doesn't mind either, since all Mom and EG do is chat, talking about goings-on in life, some current events, and movies/etc.

That Creeper McCreeperson was ignoring Joi's "get the fuck away from me" signals is still creepy, though.
        And I have LOTS of friendships like that! Heck, I'm rooming with a friend and his wife for a convention; haven't ever met the wife, but my friend is awesome, so it'll be fun. I'm a big fan of Platonic relationships.

I have no idea what's up with Creeper guy. I've even toyed with the idea that he's been lying about being married. No clue. It's weird.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

That's different though.

It's obvious that your mom and English guy enjoy talking to each other and are friends. It's a completely different situation.

The fact that Creeper is the one who has been in contact with Joi the most, a person he has never met other than online, then asked his wife to ask Joi for her phone number, signals something much different than "Yeah totally good friends!"

If I was the wife I'd be going, "Why the hell do I have to ask for the phone number, she's your friend!"
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Slight devil's advocate here..
            Oh yeah, I've had lots of male friends like that myself. The problem here is not that he wants to be friends, it's that he's not taking no for an answer, which suggests that he doesn't just want to be friends.

Comment

"It's just a doll that you made with scrap fabric, why can't you sell it for $10?"
              Apparently they think they're at walmart or target. maybe they should pull their heads out of their butts so they can get a better look around so they can see their way out... and then head to the stores that actually cater to their budget.

creepers
              bleh.

i mean sending gifts - not entirely weird as long as it's not getting into creepy mode. (My BF has an artist he buys from where he'll sometimes send a gift along, but the artist does the same thing back so it's cool). but yeah it sounds like #2 is turning into celery - as in a stalker

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                The pony has a dark teal body, purple eyes, and (I am not kidding) a pukey orange-brown mane. I made the doll: it was paid for, and I can be professional about it, but holy hell, did I hate making it! I think some people are just color-blind.
                Yes, he may very well have been partially colorblind. Can you post a photo of the pony in question? I'm interested in knowing whether I'd find it palatable, since I *am* partially colorblind.

Just as an example, I can't see the difference between the photos in this article...
                http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ters-work.html

Comment

A very interesting article.

I've often considered painting the world as seen through my right eye (keratoconic); but I haven't been sure anyone would be interested.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

You make ponies? If I had the money, I'd be tempted to order one. XD But there's no way I'd ever haggle on the price as I know that kind of thing takes a lot of time and effort to make.

Not quite the same thing, but I make handdrawn pixel dolls. I don't work to commision cuz I keep it as a hobby, to be done when I can spare the time. Someone once messaged me on dA to demand, rather than ask, that I make them a few dolls. I refused, and they replied, "It's not like it'll take you any time." -.-
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post

Guilt-tripping Parents

My dolls are targeted toward the brony community; i.e., adult collectors. These are not toys to be played with. They'll handle some wear and tear, but any 5 year old could split a seam of one in 20 minutes. It's happened.

The worst thing is when a kid sees one of my dolls, and their eyes light up, and their parents ask how much the dolls are. My cheapest dolls are $50, and they can run up to $100. The parents give me this look as if to say, "It's just a doll that you made with scrap fabric, why can't you sell it for $10?" Nobody's ever SAID that, but you can see them thinking it. Sigh. The worst part is, I really wish I could sell them at cost; I'm told I under-value my work, but pricing it any higher seems crazy to me!
                      "If you're the type to ask that question, I doubt you'd understand the answer."
                      Random Doctor Who quote:
                      "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                      I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        You make ponies? If I had the money, I'd be tempted to order one. XD But there's no way I'd ever haggle on the price as I know that kind of thing takes a lot of time and effort to make.
                        I do! You can see them on my Tumblr or DeviantArt. I'm actually rather proud of them; I've got a unique style (i.e., I only use fabrics from remnant bins or the JoAnn "Quilter's Quarters." A lot of cotton-poly prints, etc.)

Comment

Pinkie pie in a chicken costume?

Is it bad that I want to see a picture of that?

Eat: ok I found it. Very funny.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            Pinkie pie in a chicken costume?

Is it bad that I want to see a picture of that?

Eat: ok I found it. Very funny.
                            That was my first commission! I was so sure I couldn't do it, but it turned out not to be that hard. Pony in a toga, however...SO HARD. Friggin' quadrupeds...

Comment

A Hellboy pony? If I had the coinage >_> Maybe in a few months I'll be able to put it on my list of stuff to request from crafters here ^_^
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X