Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another probable bad check writer (at least this time it's was mgr's decision)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth allniter View Post
    Although I understand that most checks that are written are good, with today's credit cards and debit payment, why do we need them anymore. If you can carry a checkbook, then surely you can carry your bank card.

Anyone have an answer on this one?
    The only thing I use checks for are to pay bills that do not have a credit card or an online option. I just got one today for $4.43 for which I will have to mail in a check. I also pay my mortgage by check as I do not want to sign up for automatic withdrawal, and online payment otherwise would carry a service charge of $12.50.

I do have a different, slightly related question: When ATMs were introduced, they were supposed to be cheaper than human tellers. So why does it cost up to $6 per transaction, and human teller transactions are still (mostly) free???
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
      I seriously don't know why checks are still allowed to be used. Although I understand that most checks that are written are good, with today's credit cards and debit payment, why do we need them anymore. If you can carry a checkbook, then surely you can carry your bank card.

My grandmother writes checks for most things at the stores. Also she writes a check out to pay bills.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
        I seriously don't know why checks are still allowed to be used. Although I understand that most checks that are written are good, with today's credit cards and debit payment, why do we need them anymore. If you can carry a checkbook, then surely you can carry your bank card.

Yeah ... unfortunately, there are still some places that don't have the online payment option, so I have to mail a check to them. I think that and maybe paying the rent?
        I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

It wasn't the bank number that you should be worried about---I'd have been more unsettled by his Steelers cap. I hope my boyfriend doesn't kill me now or at worst make me wear his jerseyyyyyy! (83, Miller btw, and his brother has another Roth-how do you spell it? Big Ben, brain-damaged Bus man.)
          Purveyor of all chickeny goodness, and chicken ninja of the highest grade!
          "With it's indiscriminate slaughter of organic tissue, nothing can survive." - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            I do have a different, slightly related question: When ATMs were introduced, they were supposed to be cheaper than human tellers. So why does it cost up to $6 per transaction, and human teller transactions are still (mostly) free???
            When it's three in the morning, you're drunk, you need a taxi, and all the coins in your pocket went to the barkeep's inebiration fund, you're willing to pay.

They'll charge as much as they think they can before people decide they'll go elsewhere.

Actually, the Abbey National (a bank/building society over here) tried to charge people £5 per transaction over the counter to persuade people to go electronic. That one fell flat on it's bum within a month.

Rapscallion

Comment

Indeed, Reader's Digest did a story about those fees, and how BankOne (now Chase) used to charge $3 just to see a human teller, but had to drop the fee after they had too many customers jumping to the competition.

Comment

Hey, can one of those little scanners you put checks through when you get it check to see if it's a fraud?

Because I know that when I was a cashier and ran checks through, sometimes Certegy prompts on screen for approval and whatnot. I know that when I wrote a check at Sears, my first ever and it was #1001, my co-worker had to call and get my checked approved. Same for the next few that I wrote.

So, I guess what I'm saying...is certegy reliable? If I get a check with a low check number and the ID is valid, what else can I do to make sure it's not a fraud?

You see, they never did give me much training on detecting bad checks or even for counterfeit bills. Everything I learned about checking for counterfeit I learned on here. So--any tips, if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  Simple answer...because banks can charge you whatever they want...they'll get you for anything they can...which is why I now have an account at a credit union. Got sick of the banks nickle and diming me for every little thing.

And we have an ATM at work, so no fees. I'm cheap, if for some reason I can't use it, i will go to the grocery store, buy a few items, and get extra back..no fees.....

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
                    If you can carry a checkbook, then surely you can carry your bank card.

I do I do

For some strange reason at the little bank (only 5 offices total) I bank with the debit/check cards had to be APPLIED for like a credit card and go through a credit check. Yes I was declined to get a debit card.

So now I carry my two checkbooks and get along just fine. But when in doubt I ask about writing a check BEFORE I try to do my shopping.
                    Meeeeoooow.....
                    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

I have had one lady pay for a dough nut, a mere 59 cents, with a check. It got a good laugh when the head cashier noticed it. To cash a check at our store you have to scan your customer loyalty/savings card which has to be set up for check cashing. To do so you need to show two photo ID's at the service desk. Our store can have two cards per account. such as one for husband, one for wife, each card has a different number. If check cashing is set up on the husbands card the wifes card will not be allowed to cash a check until she show the ID's for her card or vice versa. This is the main reason why a cashier will not allow a customer to be nice and let another customer use their card. The card number will be on the receipt and there the other customer could use that number and cash bad checks. Then Mrs. Jones will all of a sudden have some issues because she let Mr. Smith use her card.

Comment

Working...
                      X