This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, how soon do we forget....

Why is it that customers seem to forget things so easily, yet, we, the employees seem to have a good handle on things most of the time?

I remember making a reservation for this dude, 2 rooms for tonight. When he was making the reservations, he asked about regular rooms and suites. I gave him prices for both, and he agreed that since he was just staying the one night, he didn't need the extra amenities that come with a suite. He also wanted the cheapet rooms. So I booked the regular kings for him. This was 5 days ago.

He comes in today, checks in, goes to his room (colleage was in other room), and then calls me. Asks why he didn't get a suite. I told him that he reserved a regular room, thats why. He yells at me that he did no such thing. Its not like we even have two suites for him tonight, and the simple fact that he paid the rate for regular rooms, not suites. Of course, he has to throw "I'm a Platinum member" out, like a care. He then wanted a discount, I told him to talk to the manager (discount for what, its not like you paid the price for a suite and got a regular room, idiot). He then says, "I am never staying here again!" and hangs up. Really? I guess thats one less misunderstanding I have to deal with from now on.

55 year old man throwing a hissy fit, for a room he doesn't need, and didn't want when he made reservations, great.

Quoth slick View Post
    I am never staying here again!"
    Oh how they tempt us with things like that. I often have to bite my tongue to avoid saying "You promise?"
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

ARGH!!!

I hate this dude now. He calls the 1-800 to complain about what happened. I get a call from a customer service agent asking me what I can do to help him.

I explain. I made the reservation, and it was for standard rooms at the standard rate PLUS a corporate discount. I then explain that we do NOT have any suites, and she confirms. So I ask her what in world this fool wants. She tells me to give him a discount. I asked her why. She said because he is upset. So I explain again, that he got what he reserved. I asked her if he complained about room cleaniness or any other issues, she said no. So I asked again, what does this fool want. She was honest enough to tell me that a discount is probably going to be the only thing that will "satisfy" him.

Considering that he already mentioned never staying at our inn again, and that he complained to the people that matter (corporate), I must ask my fellow CS members, why in the hell should I give him a discount?

And don't worry, he won't be getting one, not a penny.

Comment

Quoth slick View Post
        Considering that he already mentioned never staying at our inn again, <snip>I must ask my fellow CS members, why in the hell should I give him a discount?
        Because he probably didn't mention to coporate his promise/threat to never stay there again.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That's what I hate the most about whiny, complaining SCs; they will get what they want, REGARDLESS of whether or not they deserve it! He probably thought by pitching a hissy fit, you would cave, and give him the suite, at the regular room price.

Good for you for not giving in to the discount. And the fact that customer service recommended you do it, just irks me too. THEY are not the ones dealing with the customer here, they just want him to go away, and think that by giving in, he will. It will just make him continue to act this way, as once he got his way, he will expect to EVERY time from now on.

Comment

God..my father is one of those people. It makes me want to cry so much.
            Just two days ago, I was having a problem with my doctor's bills/union. The whole "well, this place is at fault...no we're not at fault, they are!" thing. My dad tells me that I need to call and just start yelling. Be as mean and angry as possible, because "That is the only way you'll get anywhere. Being nice won't get you anything, you /have/ to be an ass-hole."

Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Don't you understand the point of why this guy did this? It's a ploy to get extras and pampering for a discounted rate (and sometimes free of charge). You and he both know what really happened, but if it plans ahead by calling up, agreeing to everything you say, then getting a blockage of what really happened, someone will give this guy what he wants. And the popular phrases, "I'm never staying here again" and "I'll take my business elsewhere" are the best ways of getting your way, like a 5 year old child would.

Comment

Never staying again?

If this guy is REALLY a platinum member, I seriously doubt he is going to throw away all his accumulated points and free stuff. Too bad you can't throw the fear of God into him by implying that he could lose his points if he tells customer service that "I won't be staying at this chain anymore".
                His business is probably paying the bills anyway.
                Eben56
                If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                  God..my father is one of those people. It makes me want to cry so much.
                  Just two days ago, I was having a problem with my doctor's bills/union. The whole "well, this place is at fault...no we're not at fault, they are!" thing. My dad tells me that I need to call and just start yelling. Be as mean and angry as possible, because "That is the only way you'll get anywhere. Being nice won't get you anything, you /have/ to be an ass-hole."
                  In this case, it may be warranted. Earlier this year, a GP I used to go to sent me a $500+ bill for services rendered 1 - 3 years ago. A few of the services were surgical procedures that I don't even remember having. If I had something done that is classified as "surgery", you can bet I'd remember it!

So I sent him a professionally nasty letter and a nicely-worded, polite one to the insurance company I was with at the time. (No longer with them, but I can still ask for my insurance records to get proof that they were all paid up.) It turned out that the doctor's office never filed any insurance paperwork in the first place. So now, I'm burying the GP in paperwork and making him fight it out with my former insurance company.

He haven't sent this to a collections agency or tried to sue me in small claims court yet. Probably because he knows that he screwed up and was hoping I'd be dumb enough to pay him money that I don't owe him.
                  A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Tigress,

If they had kept doing it, yes, I would have been mean and angry. But i had just received the bill that day, and he wanted me to just start being screaming mad. And it's not just stuff like that. It's..everything Grocery stores, Pizza places, etc. He's the worst nightmare of the customer service community, heh. he likes his free stuff.
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Give me a hard time, and the only thing you're getting for free is a hard time in return. Threats about taking business elsewhere or complaining to the manager or main office fail to scare me. In fact, I'll probably tell you flat out to leave and don't let the door hit you or stand in your way. First of all, any customer who knows me at all knows that I will try to reason with them if they are reasonable. Second, I have no time, energy, or desire to put up with a bunch of crap from the jerks and idiots of the world.

Just out of curiosity, does your corporate customer service keep records of things like apology letters or other such compensation? Say you sent it, fail to send it, then pretend it must have gotten lost in the mail. That's how I used to handle the stupid complaints from assholes and idiots when I was manager at a different c-store. I did take the legitimate complaints seriously, but had no problems with pretending to handle the stupid complaints and doing nothing more about them afterward.
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Oy. Not that I don't think this guy is probably a scammer, and idiot, or both, but: this is why I'm a note-taker. When I make reservations, I write it down--who, when, where, what, etc. so that I have a record of it, including who I talked to. That way, if something is wrong and I need to complain, I can do so calmly and rationally, with evidence to back me up.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                        X