This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You did the right thing.

This reminds me a little of a time when I was in elementary school and some girl started to try to beat me up so I ran from her and she chased me. I went into a stall in the girl's bathroom figuring I could lock myself inside and keep her from coming under the door. She reached her hand in after me and I turned around and shut the door, and she kept trying to get in, to hurt me, by pushing the door open, so I leaned back and let all my weight fall on her fingers.

After a few seconds I could tell she was in a lot of pain and she was begging me to let her go, so I let her go and she gave up on hurting me.

I tried to run, and when that didn't work, I had to fight. The teachers tried to make it sound like it was all my fault, and blamed me for it, and wouldn't believe me when I told them she had threatened me and tried to reach in the door so she could come in and beat me up.

She was the one with the swollen hand, and I was unscathed, but I had never lied to them or acted up, so they really should have believed me.

Anyway, it eventually got straightened out and the girl was always really sweet with me after that. Apparently she'd forgiven me (she knew she was in the wrong), and we got along fine.

I'm hoping that you will also be vindicated and that it will be quite obvious who was in the wrong in your situation, the moron SC.
    Last edited by Rubystars; 08-22-2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Quoth yomiko View Post
      While suggestions are being posted, how about a duress bar closer to the door? What if you weighed less than 72 kg (or 72kg wasn't enough) and it was all the way across the room? Something else to consider.
      thats the thing. the assumption is that when we do have problems, it's probably going to be at the window rather than at the door.

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
      I really hope you don't get in trouble for this guy being a moron. I mean what exactly were you suppose to do? Let him in?
      if i do get in trouble (which i doubt i will, but you never know what the higher ups are going to do) i'll be on the phone to the union ASAP

Quoth Bliss View Post
      If you Do have cameras monitoring the door outside and in, you can ask the managers to think about having security wire a copy of the outside camera to a small monitor by the door inside.
      the old rule is back and the door is not to be opened for anyone. the bosses believe that will fix the situation
      The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
        She was the one with the swollen hand, and I was unscathed, but I had never lied to them or acted up, so they really should have believed me.
        That reminds me of the exact moment, discovered after much deep reflection, that I decided the next time I want to see my father is to piss on his headstone and dance a jig on his grave... not at the same time, of course. I was in like 1st or 2nd grade, there was a girl, Joslyn, who was like in 5th or 6th, that bullied me on every bus-ride to and from school because, at that point, I wasn't a walking wall, I was just the nerdy little kid everyone picked on.

One day she had me pinned, making my life hell, and elbowed me in the head while I was trying to get away. I came in the door with a goose-egg that must have been the size of a golf-ball (or at least felt like it was) and my parents demanded to know what happened. My father took me to her house and demanded to know from her parents what her side of the story was. She told him some bullcrap that boiled down to ME being the one to bully HER and HER elbowing ME while trying to get away.

He bought it without even giving me a chance to say anything, and tanned my hide while it was because I'd LIED TO HIM, not because I'd been picking on a girl. The angry emoticons don't even begin to cover the amount of amount of rage and hatred I feel towards him for nearly a decade of emotional, verbal, and borderline-physical abuse towards myself and Mom.

That was a Friday. By Monday I had brooded over it to the point that, when Joslyn started in on my again, I shoved her across the aisle, blocked her in, and threatened her with a sharpened pencil, saying that if she EVER came near me again, or tried to get me in trouble, I'd shove it in her eye. I didn't know the phrase "gouge your eyes out" yet. Yes it was extreme, but she'd been making me miserable since Kindergarten, and it worked. I locked down again, though, when I calmed down and realized how sick I'd felt over what I'd done and threatened to do, and it wasn't until junior high I came out of my shell enough to realize that, hey, people hadn't been picking on me for over a year.

I guess going to a different school district for K-6 than 7-12 meant that in high-school nobody remembered me as the short, scrawny nerd. To them I was the big, quiet, bookish guy that got along with everyone but never quite fit into any particular clique.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          I guess going to a different school district for K-6 than 7-12 meant that in high-school nobody remembered me as the short, scrawny nerd. To them I was the big, quiet, bookish guy that got along with everyone but never quite fit into any particular clique.
          Wow...are you my evil twin? Am I yours? Other than switching school districts, and the details of the confrontation (I pinned a guy to the wall 4" off the ground with one hand. I had spent the entire summer between grade 8-9 as a lifeguard. It got me in good shape at the time), you sound just like me. Neat.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

That reminds me of the exact moment, discovered after much deep reflection, that I decided the next time I want to see my father is to piss on his headstone and dance a jig on his grave... not at the same time, of course. I was in like 1st or 2nd grade, there was a girl, Joslyn, who was like in 5th or 6th, that bullied me on every bus-ride to and from school because, at that point, I wasn't a walking wall, I was just the nerdy little kid everyone picked on.

One day she had me pinned, making my life hell, and elbowed me in the head while I was trying to get away. I came in the door with a goose-egg that must have been the size of a golf-ball (or at least felt like it was) and my parents demanded to know what happened. My father took me to her house and demanded to know from her parents what her side of the story was. She told him some bullcrap that boiled down to ME being the one to bully HER and HER elbowing ME while trying to get away.

He bought it without even giving me a chance to say anything, and tanned my hide while it was because I'd LIED TO HIM, not because I'd been picking on a girl. The angry emoticons don't even begin to cover the amount of amount of rage and hatred I feel towards him for nearly a decade of emotional, verbal, and borderline-physical abuse towards myself and Mom.

That was a Friday. By Monday I had brooded over it to the point that, when Joslyn started in on my again, I shoved her across the aisle, blocked her in, and threatened her with a sharpened pencil, saying that if she EVER came near me again, or tried to get me in trouble, I'd shove it in her eye. I didn't know the phrase "gouge your eyes out" yet. Yes it was extreme, but she'd been making me miserable since Kindergarten, and it worked. I locked down again, though, when I calmed down and realized how sick I'd felt over what I'd done and threatened to do, and it wasn't until junior high I came out of my shell enough to realize that, hey, people hadn't been picking on me for over a year.

And that story is an excellent insight into how bullying can lead to violence and tragedy. Not everyone has the same self-control you do, or is reflective enough to see what it might be doing to them from a young age.
            I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              I had spent the entire summer between grade 8-9 as a lifeguard. It got me in good shape at the time), you sound just like me. Neat.
              They let 13-14-year-olds be lifeguards?? I don't think I trust an 8th grader to pull me out of any pool, and I'm not heavy enough to give blood in my state.

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                And that story is an excellent insight into how bullying can lead to violence and tragedy. Not everyone has the same self-control you do, or is reflective enough to see what it might be doing to them from a young age.
                Exactly why I've never been able to really get behind vilifying the kids that perpetrated the Columbine Incident. Before you commit violence against someone, you have to stop seeing them as a person and see them as a target. By failing to show them a basic level of human kindness and concern, the students and teachers took care of doing that for them. After that, it was just a matter of the pent up anger and frustration reaching critical mass.

When people reach that level of duress they WILL act on the situation. The majority of the people are the type that react by turning inward. In essence, they fall into depression and often attempt suicide. There's a much smaller fraction of people bullied, though, that turn outward. I, myself, am in this group. These people are generally very self-contained and don't respond immediately to provocation, which is why they're targeted for bullying when most 'outward-reacting' types aren't.

Instead of their anger and despair on themselves, though, it gets squeezed tighter and tighter inside the quiet shell they've been taught, for whatever reason, they MUST maintain, building up pressure until the pent up rage explodes all at once... usually in a display seen, by outsiders, as completely unprovoked or completely out of proportion since they fail to comprehend that it's retribution for the sum totality of years upon years of abuse and degradation, not any specific event.

Any sort of emotional support or outlet can defuse that pressure, though, and so many other things could derail the situation that it required an incredible degree of ACTIVE neglect and harassment to occur. So many things could have stopped it that, really, the odds are astronomical AGAINST it happening. The people at that school had to WORK to make things go the way they did. The real tragedy is that the actions of a significant portion, but by no means the totality, of the students and faculty turned those kids against the entire population, which lead to an indiscriminate slaughter instead of the focused assassination of the key aggressors.

Translation: The bullies made the kids lives hell, the teachers did absolutely nothing to stop it, they reaped what they sewed, and it's just a shame that innocents got caught in the crossfire.

Sorry if this is an unpopular sentiment, but as someone who was bullied to the point I seriously contemplated similar (more specifically targeted) acts, I can imagine how much worse someone's situation must be for them to actually act on it. You have to push hard to get that kind of planned violence out of someone.
                Last edited by JustADude; 08-24-2007, 05:07 AM.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Sorry if this is an unpopular sentiment, but as someone who was bullied to the point I seriously contemplated similar (more specifically targeted) acts, I can imagine how much worse someone's situation must be for them to actually act on it. You have to push hard to get that kind of planned violence out of someone.
                  I understand exactly what you're talking about. I think about the only element missing in my situation was physical bullying.

As for the OP, I'm glad you're okay, and I'm just sorry that jerk didn't get worse for what he tried, because he was either a thief or someone who will Darwin Award himself out pretty soon for trying something like that in a bank. "But I just wanted to make a withdrawl!"
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I agree with you Broomjockey and JustAdude. I was tormented horribly in school too. Thing is, I was not really that severe yet. I was too meek to do violence and I never really thought about suicide (It never crossed my mind). I think the most I did was try to run away - and I almost did it too. I was on my bike, with a backpack of things, on the highway pedalling along.

I do remember daydreaming a lot about the other kids being eaten by dragons though, hehehee.
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                      They let 13-14-year-olds be lifeguards?? I don't think I trust an 8th grader to pull me out of any pool, and I'm not heavy enough to give blood in my state.
                      Well two things I can say here:

1) A lifeguard shouldn't be pulling you out of the pool by him/herself. The object of a 'live' rescue (opposed to an unconcious swimmer, which is handled much differently) is to get the victim to the side of the pool (or back to shore, ect.). By that point, other lifeguards, or bystanders should be there to help, or the victim can hold onto the side and support themselves until them get get out under their own power. A lifeguard doesn't have to be a big person, but they do have to know what they are doing.

2) That said, I'm a big guy, even back then I stood almost a foot above anyone else. I already had a serious turn of mind, and could concentrate on work well beyond my age. I was also trained in the Boy Scout lifeguarding course, which at the time was the second toughest water rescue training to pass (First place went to the military water rescue training). The lady that was training us had to ask me to release her during a rescue swim, as she wanted to test my ability to 'recapture' an escaped victim, but she couldn't struggle out of my rescue grip. I'm pretty proud of that.

In short, I was fully trained and certified to look after anyone in the water (lake or pool) at the summer camp I worked. You do not get certified if you can't hack the training, as it would reflect badly on the training if the rescuer screwed up, and the training is sold to people outside the scouts. I performed two rescues that summer on distressed swimmers (not drowning, but getting there), and I recieved praise for having a good eye for spotting trouble before it happened. It was a good summer, and I would love to have kept doing it, but the pay was terrible. ($90/week + room and board, 6 days/week) I tried to get a job a couple years later at a water park, but wasn't 'pretty' enough, I guess. I worked elsewhere in the park, and noticed thet all the guards that year were bronze gods/goddess. I'm more the Hesphaeteous type .

They got dinged twice by the state for failing "staged accidents**," though. I'm petty enough to have enjoyed that.

**This is like getting a secret shopper, but instead of just grading you on interaction, they fake an accident with a second auditor standing by watching the response. This is one of the things a water park staff lives in dread of, and they do it multiple times during the season.
                      Last edited by Geek King; 08-24-2007, 02:07 PM.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Translation: The bullies made the kids lives hell, the teachers did absolutely nothing to stop it, they reaped what they sewed, and it's just a shame that innocents got caught in the crossfire.

When these things happen, I wonder why. And then I stop, think, and remember and wonder why so few? My MS/HS district is *prime* for something major going down - distinct social system, wide range of financial backgrounds....

Read "19 minutes" by Jody Picoult. It really makes people think about school bullying and school shooting. I love her books, and this one is my 2nd favorite (after "My Sister's Keeper").

And OP - I hope things go well at work tonight, I'm glad you're ok!

Comment

theres a reason why i dont trust the american school system anymore. I am a very big girl, and have alwasy been very strong. But i was abused as a child as well. In school teachers would see girls or even guys give me a hard time, come to close to beating me up, even try to accuse me of things i couldnt have done. AND DID NOTHIGN ABOUT IT!! I had teacher say 'oh your a big girl you can take care of your self.' which is fine to say when your talking to an adult in the real world but when your talking to alittle girl who gets beat for defending herself, who has litterly had it pounded in to her that you never fight back if you dont wanna wind up black and blue not so easy. Hell it didnt even matter when some boys shoved me and almost broke my knee, or when three girls tried to get me arrest because i took some pictures of my class room the first day of school and accidently got one in the locker room (when we where just getting assigned lockers and locks first day means no dressing out), and they suspended me when i finally couldnt handle it anymore and slapped a girl who called 'Smelly, fat dyke who should just kill herself' (the only time i everr defended my self and got praise from my dad, he then threatened to sue the school if they didnt suspend sthe girls as well, and they did, but then made us be 'peer mediated' by a bunch of 9th graders who just wanted to talk to them about clothes...)

I have feeling when i have kids im looking into something else

Comment

I was bullied a lot in school too. One guy in 4th grade even brought a BB gun pistol into school and told the other kids he was going to shoot me with it. Thankfully, before he had a chance to do anything, one of the kids went to a teacher and told her about it. I don't know why, I was never mean to him. He was mean to me ALL the time, but I just got around to ignoring him. I guess he just wanted me to care that he was bullying me.

Middle school was the worst, especially on the bus. The kids would tie my shoelaces and my bookbag to the seat so I would trip when I got up for my stop. Kids in school would spit mouthfuls of water at me, say really mean things, and just bother me all day long.

In highschool, after I recieved a black belt, some kid decided he wanted to try to touch my butt in the lunch line. I felt it, turned around and punched him in the kidney. I put all of my body into it too. He was gasping for air when he said, "That didn't hurt..."

The kids thought twice after that.
                            Check out my cosplay social group!
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice
                              I have feeling when i have kids im looking into something else
                              I was homeschooled, the entire way. I had preschool, and then homeschooling. People would wonder why, since my dad was on the Board of Education. And that's WHY, man. He knew how bad our county's system was. He eventually became a school counciler, and then I was glad for more than academic reasons to have been homeschooled.

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
                              "That didn't hurt..."

Comment

Quoth Casino Jockey View Post
                                problem is the doors have a steel core so it's not that simple
                                A decent quality drill should handle that, my £35 hammer drill can make a 13mm diameter hole in steel and concrete with the appropriate bit
                                Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
                                Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Working...
                                X