This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    That's when you pull out the old 'It takes a village to raise a child' chestnut.
    I prefer Tim Wilson's version: "It takes a village to raise a nut."
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

No good kids running wild

I've worked in retail for a long time and I've seen so many kids unsupervised its sad. Recently a little girl, I'd say maybe three years old, came to the back of the registers and started wandering around. You all know as well as I do that authorized personnel only so I am ushering the little girl out while trying to look for the stupid parent. When he finally arrives, I tell him, with a bit of aggravation I admit, that she isnt supposed to be wandering alone unsupervised. He comes back with, "Well, if you kept the door closed (which leads to the cashier area) she would have never gotten in there." Of course not, why be responsible for your daughter?

Its perfectly simple. If you are that negligent as a parent, don't have a child.

Comment

Quoth WorkAtBBuy View Post
        I didn't want kids before, and retail pretty much assured me that I didn't. Nothing would kill me more than overwrought mom, distracted dad, older son or daughter trying to get dad's attention by feigning interest in his latest toy, and the other 2-3 younger siblings. Always a squalling, dirty, disorganized mess--always foisted on ME. ....Yeah...fun.
        Have you ever had some kids playing on the Big Ladder? While walking the computer department one evening, I saw a two-year-old climbing on the side of the ladder like they were monkey bars... with the encouragement of her mother. At that point, visions of my younger brother's multiple head traumas (I swear his head was like a melon) flashed through my mind and I asked her not to let her child play on the ladder. She snapped that she was holding her precious sprog, so there was no danger. I held back my initial response and told her that the store was liable if the child slipped and busted her head open, so pretty please take your child off the industrial grade ladder. kthnxbye

This is a place of business, lady! You want your brat to climb on stuff, take them to a playground. Not a store with industrial grade ladders and lifts, huge and expensive appliances, electronics and sharp corners everywhere and employees who ferry around large objects and aren't looking for a toddler running around.
        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          But why with a life like that do people think I want to join in the rat-race that is their lives. They look down on me because they have more money, but I don't see the gain since they work 10+ hours a day and even on breaks/vacation must have cell phone so the office can call them *ANYTIME*.
          For the cell phone gig, I merely make sure the number is entered into my phone. Oh, it's the workplace. I'll just let that go to voicemail. If it's really important, they'll leave a message. I'll check it later, if I feel like it.

Why didn't I answer my phone? Oh... maybe because I was on vacation and the last thing I want to think about on vacation is work. But why wouldn't I make myself available? What part about "I was on vacation" do you not understand? What's so bloody important that I had to deal with it right then from 800 miles away and interrupt lunch with my in-laws?
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
            Sorry, but my rules are: your kid does something stupid/dangerous, I'm going to say something.

That's how I feel, too. When I'm at work and I see something like that, I'll say something and let the (absent at the time/inattentive) parent be damned. I just won't allow a parent to behave like that or to mis-parent their own child in my store.
            Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
            mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X