This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Holiday woes.

So, it's bank holiday monday today. We're open 10:30 to 4:30 and I'm working the whole thing, in return for a slighter higher wage and a day in lieu. I honestly don't mind doing it AT ALL, but if I didn't get the benefits I wouldn't be there.

Many conversations about bank holidays occured today.
    Woman: Ooooh, it's a lovely day for a bank holiday, isn't it.
    Me: Yes, it is.
    W: Oooh, you're working today, aren't you!

No, my idea of fun on a bank holiday is to go to a shop I don't work in, dress in their uniform and stand behind the till, to confuse people. I'm actually about to make off with the cash.

Of course I'm working. If I wasn't, I'd be sat outside in a beer garden with my boy.

Man: So, you working today?
    Me: *in uniform, behind till* Urrrmmm... yes.
    Man: I don't think you should have to work bank holidays.

Urrmmm... You have a full bag from my shop. So if you don't think I should have to work bank holidays stop shopping on them. No-one would work bank holidays if no-one shopped on them. LOGIC. Seriously, who do you think staffs the shops when you shop? PEOPLE. EVERY DAY. PEOPLE.

Woman: I DON'T THINK SHOPS SHOULD BE OPEN BANK HOLIDAYS! IT'S WRONG!!

I refer you to my previous rant, oh woman with an equally full bag.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

I hate when people have to point out what a nice day it is when you are stuck inside working. I get it all the time. Also, as we seem to both live in the UK, nice summer days, lately, have been hard to find. It always seems to be lovely out when I am working and rainy and cold when I am off. I hate it.

I am sorry you were stuck inside today as it was nice. I didn't work today as I used to not have to work Bank Holidays. However my shitty company was trying to think of more ways to piss staff off and are now making it mandatory for every member of staff to work 50% of Bank Holidays. They are taking away time and a half and giving us an extra days holiday. Which sounds good, but they tell you this and then are never able to actually give you the day off because there are no staff. I am not pleased. Also, we have to work Boxing Day or New Years Day. I am very angry at that!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

I start work at 3pm, and work til midnight. I often get calls from people whining that they have to work X more hours. It never fails that I can beat them and will be working long past they will. Granted, I just started, but still. It also cracks me up when they posit that I shouldn't have to work that late--someone has to be here to answer the phone when you call, buddy.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

It is right murphys law that the bank holidays I don't work are the miserable ones, and the ones I do work are gorgeous.

It's shocking that your work are doing that too. Where I am they never give us much more than required by lawm=, but at least they don't give us less.
        Not allowing you holidays cause of short staffing is shocking. We're short staffed, horribly so, but we still get people on their hols.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
          No, my idea of fun on a bank holiday is to go to a shop I don't work in, dress in their uniform and stand behind the till, to confuse people. I'm actually about to make off with the cash.
          Works for me.

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
          Man: So, you working today?
          Me: *in uniform, behind till* Urrrmmm... yes.
          Man: I don't think you should have to work bank holidays.

Urrmmm... You have a full bag from my shop. So if you don't think I should have to work bank holidays stop shopping on them. No-one would work bank holidays if no-one shopped on them. LOGIC. Seriously, who do you think staffs the shops when you shop? PEOPLE. EVERY DAY. PEOPLE.

Woman: I DON'T THINK SHOPS SHOULD BE OPEN BANK HOLIDAYS! IT'S WRONG!!

I refer you to my previous rant, oh woman with an equally full bag.

Ah, SC "logic" and "sympathy". Yeah, take your hypocritical self and get the hell away from me, please. Thank you.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I never shop on bank holidays for that reason.
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I had a customer call us on Sunday to ask...

"Are you open on Bank Holiday Monday?"

Moi :"Yes...we're open from ten till four..."

Who then actually said:

"Aww...what a shame for you. Good for me though!"

Moi: "Hahahahahahaha ok then bai." *click*
              ~a lass unparallel'd~

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, what's a bank holiday? Do you work at a bank or is it another name for something?

Comment

Here in the US, we call them Federal Holidays. Days when the banks, stockmarket, and most every business in the world, EXCEPT for retail is closed.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Thanks, Banrion.

Comment

My place is twenty four hours and you get into trouble if you call off on a holiday. To me there is no such day as a holiday unless it falls on my day off and even then I'm lucky they don't stick me on the schedule for an extra day.

I'm really excited I get to have xmas day off for the first time in years! But if we're short handed my dreams will be crushed... But whatever

Comment

Working...
                      X