This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A canonical list of SCs

I just thought it might make some posts shorter if there was a list of archetypal SC's.

Here's a few that come to mind right now.

The Haggler. - This guy tries to get a discount on everything. I've had people try to haggle on a U.$5.00 paperback. Some of these people just ask reflexively before even looking at the price. For some reason they all seem to be from New York or third world countries.

The Parking Scammer. - They want validation just for walking into the store. When told that there has there has to be some kind of transaction they come out with the "I'm a regular customer", and of course it's the first time you've seen them.

The Corporate Devil Woman. - She makes a lot of money doing something completely non productive consequently she thinks she is entitled to all your attention and abject subservience.

The Brood Mare. - Thinks that the fact that she has spawned means she doesn't have to consider anyone other than her kids.

The Lost Boy/Girl - Expects you to find everything for them. Phrases like "They are sorted by authors last name." mean nothing to them.

[no handle for this one]. - A lonely person who insist on hanging in the store and engaging you in conversation about his weird obsession.

Mr. Validate My Purchase. - Wants you to tell them how smart they are for buying what they just bought. Of course you can't tell them that Fung Shui is crap and Oswald acted alone.

I'm sure the rest of you will have additions to this list.
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

The Stroker -picks your brain for hours on end about some expensive product just to go buy off ebay or newegg.

Comment

The Comparison Shopper-keeps saying things like "Well, STAPLES is cheaper."

Comment

The nonexistance denier: Asks if you have any more of a certain product. When the inventory says zero, asks if you can check the back. When there are none in the back, denies that they dont exist in this store and wither asks to speak to a manager or asks the cashier, who then calls you saying she has a customer looking for that product.
        free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

[no handle for this one]. - A lonely person who insist on hanging in the store and engaging you in conversation about his weird obsession.
          how about 'mr. freaky lonelyheart?'

'mr./ms. i'llhavemyregular' this person is always in a hurry, regardless of the day or time they come in.

spawn swarm: a group of young, unattended and generally ill-mannered children who make a great deal of noise, mess and headaches after purchasing ONE small drink.

mr./ms. tantrum: throws a big baby style hissy fit if you're out of their drink; double the fit if that drink was seasonal. also applies to those who absolutely positively MUST have pastry x; if you are out of pastry x, be prepared for a whinefest that lasts their entire stay.

mr./ms. doyouhaveakeytothebathroom?: always asks if we have a key; the answer is always no-we never have and never will have a key. if the door handle doesn't open the door, get this, it means someone's in there. what a concept.

the freebie whore: the title says it all.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

The second opinioner(my made up word)-The person who doesn't like your answer and walks around the store asking every other employee who either says the same thing, or referrs them to you

The wander and dropper-The person who wanders around a store, picks up something and carries it for awhile, decides they don't want it and leaves it wherever. Bonus points if it's perishable

The TMI-The person who insists on telling you exactly why they are buying preparation H and how they got the problem to begin with.

The WAAAAY TMI-er-The person who tells you why they are buying 16 bottles of KY jelly and 3 packages of rubber gloves and then describes in detail how they are going to use them

The desperate for a date-The greasy guy who comes into stores and attempts to use them as thier personal dating service, using the cashiers as thier captive audience. So desperate that they will hit on pregnant women, teenage girls etc

Comment

The Constant Complainer - no matter what you do to please them, they will find something wrong. Even if they have to put their own hair in their food, which leads to my second one:

The Food Scammer - Tend to be believed at first, but if you come every two weeks and are the only customer who finds a hair, it's a little fishy. Even a bad manager will catch on to this. They are regulars for as long as the free food comes.

The How Are You Today? I Am Long Island Iced Tea - Walk up to a table and say a friendly hello, how are you? They respond with their drink or food order.

The Ignorers - After several attempts to get the attention of a group, the waiter finally walks away to tend to other tables. They get snotty when you come back to take their order because they had to wait so long. Bonus points if they flag another waiter down. Double bonus if they ask to speak to a manager.

The I Can't Believe you Ate the Whole Thing - Cleans their plate and when I clear it and ask how it was, say it was terrible. My quizzical look and "You ate it all?!" tends to be met with, "Well, I was hungry!" Mind you, I've been to the table a few minutes after they get the food, and they never complain then, when things could be changed.

Comment

Madam Forgetful - manifests in several behaviours including but not limited to: always brings in items to return, never has a receipt, despite being told every single week she needs one; brings expired coupons every single week and waits while the checkout operator has to go through every single one to weed them down; asks about product X, then product Y, mmm, and how about product X?

Mean Bastard - literally just gets his jollies making physically small women and new staff cry. Probably has some kind of bad life, and chooses to take this out on complete strangers, but only those who can't defend themselves.

And Man - keeps making statements to which you just want to say "..and?", like "Other store has this cheaper" or "I want completely ridiculous over-the-top service that you don't even offer or I'm going to your competitor" or "I know your manager".

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista
                  mr./ms. doyouhaveakeytothebathroom?: always asks if we have a key; the answer is always no-we never have and never will have a key. if the door handle doesn't open the door, get this, it means someone's in there. what a concept.
                  Actually, I DO have the key to the bathroom. One of the WONDERFUL benefits of working in a HOTEL bar. And yes....I get to use my own discretion as to who to give it to and who not to give it to.

On this topic, I can't let it go without adding Mr. Not Ready for Prime Time: A guy is constantly making jokes and smartass comments and thinks he is hilarious...but very much isn't. (Much different from the guy who is constantly making jokes and smartass comments and actually IS damn hilarious.)

Also, I must add a non-SC archetype. The type I dearly LOVE to wait on every single time, and I am saying this sincerely, with no sarcasm. The Little Old Ladies Who Are There to Drink Beer and Have Fun. These are NOT your typical seniors, and they are always just wonderful joys to wait on and to be around. Absolute sweethearts, know how to tip, and don't have a mean bone in their body.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

The time bomb: the person who makes a big feces mess in the restrooms

The Paris Hilton: the person who calls the store, rattles off a list of things she wants, and instructs us to have it all up and bagged at the service desk so she can come in and pay for it later. Basically she expects us to be her personal shoppers (I just call them Paris Hiltons because Paris seems like the kind of VIP who can have a personal shopper)

The Comparison Shopper, Part Deux: the person who calls the store, asks us our price on a particular item, asks us to put it on hold for her at the service desk, and then never picks it up, probably because she called other stores asking about the same item and bought it at the store that had it for the lowest price.

The Lonely Old Man: the old man who comes into the store 3 or 4 times a day and tries to make conversation with all the employees because that's basically his entire social life.

The Ritalin Advertisement: the kid who races around the store riding the display bikes, destroying aisles and endcaps, and screams at mother begging for a candy bar.

The Stinky Guy: pretty much self-explanatory

Mr/Ms "I'm too important to wait in line": the idiot who goes to the service desk to check out with a cart heaping full of clothes, dog food, packs of bottled water, etc. because he/she doesn't feel like waiting in line at the checkouts

The argument for more homework in the public schools: the kids (generally middle-school aged) who hang out at the store and do nothing but cause trouble.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The Cat Lady: All stores have one of these. This woman will come in covered in cat hair and will talk about nothing but her cats. If said shop is a food shop, she will spend a fortune on food for her cat and a paltry amount on her own food.

Mr Interrupter: He always talks over you, cuts you off and interrupts you. Whatever you're saying, even if you're just asking him if he needs help.

The Blatherer: Always yacking, either on a mobile or to a friend, and ignores you.

Entitlement King/Queen: They are the most important people in the history of the world and deserve to be treated as such!
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

The Digger - always going to the back and bottom for the freshest gear.

The Notforme - never shops for themselves, but always talking about how it's for someone else. Always tells you this seven times a minute and uses it as a magic talisman against buying anything.

The Bouncer - "I don't want this one..." *boing* "I don't want that one..." *boing* Usually seen habiting the soft fruit section.

The Socialite - always manages to find someone they know and have intense conversation with them in the busiest thoroughfare in the store. Never listens to what the other person says, but concentrates solely on talking fifteen to the dozen.

The Snatcher - reaches over and tries to pull the receipt out of the till. If it's not torn off, it damages it, for those not having dealt with the older sorts of tills.

The Squatter - Gets some items, gets the till started, then wanders off to do their main shop.

I had many more - will add when I can think of them.

Rapscallion

Comment

The Bagsier: Leaves their full trolley next to an empty till, or dumps their full basket on the belt, then wanders off. Will be really angry if they come back to find you serving someone else.

Ms It'sForMyKids: Buys loads of crisps, cakes, chocolate bars and sweets. Will justify her choices by saying, "It's for the kids!" regardless of whether anyone's said anything to her.

Mr Shouty: Always shouts. Not a nasty person, just a very loud and eardrum shattering person.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

The Tweaker: Check her file, it's all valium, xanax, etc. She's literally hopping from one foot to the other and hyperventilating when she hands you yet another emergency script for 12 xanax. Asks if she can go down to Starbucks for a coffee while she waits. At close to midnight.

The Procrastinator: Hands me scripts that are standard ones for surgery of some type: a pain killer, an antibiotic, a NSAID, etc. dated for 3 weeks ago, then tells me that they need this "as soon as possible" for they are already late for their appointment.

Mr./Ms. Forgetful: I forgot to call in for my refill, I need it As Soon As Possible (oh, how I hate that phrase). When informed that the current wait is an hour long, which it should have been painfully obvious that we are busy by the fact that there's 10 people vulturing about the waiting area, throws a hissy.

The Medicaid patients that shouldn't be: Get all peeved if there's a small copay on something (usually the case for some narcotics or uber-expensive meds) yells for a bit, whips out a freaking razr cell phone to call someone, then grudgingly pulls out an italian leather wallet out of their gucci purse and tosses a few bucks at you. These ones piss me off more than anything. >

The Insurance idjits: Got new insurance and didn't bring the card, and got mad when you ask for the new coverage (I don't have to do any of this, they could just buy the stuff at retail and send the claim in the old fashioned way), or they don't understand what their coverage does and does not cover, or complain that their copay has never been this high (always so gratifying when you look back in their records and get to smugly inform them that either it used to be more expensive or that they've been paying the same price for a year).

Comment

Another one

I just deal with another one.

The Change Granny. - Why do old ladies always carry insane amounts of change and insist on giving ME exact change when I know that the only way she could have accumulated it all was by paying with notes elsewhere.
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X