X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about my doggie

At the moment, we have three dogs:

--Ziggy, our first dog. We got her about 9ish months after we got married, so she's kinda our first kid. Except for a bout of excessive vomiting as a puppy (that was probably my fault), she's been extremely healthy.

--Pumpkin, dog #2. We got her from a friend about a year ago and found out a few months after that she has some mild hip dysplasia. Pretty much always looks like the Saddest Dog Ever(tm) on the front end, but the wagging tail totally ruins it.

--Bradley. We're fostering him right now and in the (slow) process of finding him a permanent home. He's a bit of an escape artist and his previous owners couldn't keep him in the yard. When the husband moved to Texas for his army position, the wife couldn't deal with his constant escaping plus two other dogs and three foster kids. Since he's also Ziggy's brother, we've had him over to doggie sit many times and he has yet to get out of my yard (although lately not for lack of trying). He's also considerably overweight (54lbs at his last checkup), so I'd like to get that down before he gets adopted. Mr Jedi does not like Bradley mostly because Bradley doesn't know how big he is and he has no manners. The latter can be fixed through training, but the former probably not.

So earlier this week Ziggy was wrestling with Pumpkin and while she gets pretty vocal when she plays, this didn't sound like playing. So I reached down to pet her as she ran past me and she screamed. At first I thought I had just startled her, but when she didn't untuck her tail and kept whining whenever someone touched her back end, I knew something was wrong.

We tried to wait it out hoping it was just a bruise or a stitch. She got some baby aspirin (under the direction of our vet) with her breakfast and dinner to see if we could at least take the edge off the pain. After a couple days with no visible improvement, I made the appointment with the vet. Pumpkin was also due for her annual shots, so I got to shlep both of them all by myself.

Long story short, X-rays were inconclusive. There's obviously something not right with her sacrum, but there were no obvious fractures, arthritis, or dislocations. And my poor little Ziggy--who normally doesn't mind being poked, prodded, or manhandled--was just screaming in pain. Not yelping. Screaming. I've never heard her make those sounds and I never want to hear it again. Poor thing had to be sedated just to get the X-rays. She's been sleeping that off most of the afternoon. And then there was too much stool in the way for the vet to get a clear view, so she got an enema too. Our regular vet was off today, so the other vet did all the testing. He wants Regular Vet to take a look at the X-rays when she gets back on Monday and get her opinion. They also have a Vet Radiologist coming in for another case and he'll try to get him to take a look also. In the meantime, we have a round of anti-inflamitories to see if that does the trick.

And who should greet me at the door when I got home but Bradley. Considering I left him locked in the kitchen behind a gate, I was not too happy to see his dopey face at my front door. And to top that off, he got into some chocolate candy we left on the coffee table. Dark chocolate, too. So now I get to watch him for the next 24 hours and make sure he doesn't get chocolate poisoning. He didn't eat that much, so I'm not too worried. At this point, I don't think we can continue fostering him. We've got to keep him and Ziggy separated (especially since we suspect rough play led to all this in the first place). I can't trust him alone in the yard because he digs under the fence and now I obviously can't trust him alone locked in the kitchen because he can muscle the gate open. Crating is an option, but I don't want him to spend all his time in a crate.

I'm just kinda at a loss right now. With my work schedule picking up I won't be home as much to keep an eye on things. I just want my spazzy Ziggy back. I hate seeing her so miserable.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Isn't Ziggy a beagle? So if Bradley is her brother, that'd make him a beagle? 54 lbs is really heavy for beagles...I'm hoping I'm mistaken.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Yes, Ziggy and Bradley are beagles. So is Pumpkin for that matter, but she's really small so I thing she's some sort of mix. Bradley's weight issues weren't us. That was from the previous owners who fed him crap food and table scraps. He has visibly slimmed down some since we've had him on a better food (and we don't let him eat the other dogs' dinner too), but he's still got a ways to go.

Contrast Ziggy who is a very healthy weight of 33lbs as of yesterday because I am paranoid about her weight. I know beagles are prone to weight problems so I'm very careful what I feed her and how much. Even her training treats are usually good for her. Stuff like plain boiled chicken (which she will do anything for) and a soft dog food known affectionately in the biz as "puppy crack".

Good news, though, she seems to be much better this morning. Instead of having her tail completely tucked, it's mostly now just down and loose with the occasional wag. Seems like the anti-inflamitories are working! Yay!
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm glad Ziggy is on the road to recovery. Hopefully you'll be able to find a good home for the escape artist soon.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Damn beagles can eat. If you put it in front of them, they will eat it. They are never full. Our first beagle, Jack, hit 40 pounds. Our other one I'm not sure how much she hit. Now Jack weighs 30 lbs and Squeekers, our second beagle, weighs 32 lbs. She needs to lose some weight because she has a smaller frame so it's more fat. Glad their diet food is working.

Glad to hear Ziggy is doing better.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I so hope it was just a sprain and is healing up.

Sadly, I know what cat screams of pain sound like. I don't know dog screams, but I think I can sympathise - at least with the 'your heart is breaking and you want to make your darling well right now' aspect.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
            X