Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Area Manager

Okay, so I put it in the other slot, and it still doesn't work. The tabs on each end are slightly out, compared to the other tabs. Does that make a difference? The card certainly appears to be seated correctly - it isn't crooked - but the computer doesn't recognize it.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Store Manager

If those tabs can't lock down fully, the stick isn't fully seated. There's lots of electrical contacts in there, and not a lot of space. A little gap is a lot.

Query: What capacity are the other 2 sticks?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Area Manager

Well, THIS is a hassle.

I got the card in right. Finally, finally, I got it in right. The tabs snapped and everything.

When I started up the computer, it sent some startled messages about memory. I let it run its little operation.

But then. It started to (I thought) go into Windows, then it said that there was a problem with my PC and it needed to reboot.

It did this over and over and over and OVER. I couldn't get it to stop.

Finally, I unplugged the computer before it could start again, took the RAM stick out, and started it again. It works, but the Internet has been mighty slow.

What do I need to do to make this work?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Store Manager

Yep. It'll insist on being paired OR being an only child. Mixing in 3 isn't going to work. (was worth a shot) Another identical 4GB stick in the other slot should make things work well. Unless, of course, that stick be defective. (it happens, but not often)

Just how much RAM do you have with the 2 original sticks?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Area Manager

The original sticks give me 4 whole gigabytes of RAM. I do photo editing. I want to do some video editing. I don't want to dick around with 4GB RAM.

So, it's off to the electronics store again - maybe they're having a sale this weekend.

The computer threw one hell of a hissy fit, and I think it's still pouting.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 AM
Store Manager

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...29&Order=PRICE
It always pays to do a little price comprison here and there. You're in the market for at least 1, but up to 3 of them. Figure price + shipping vs. what the store has. Most of the stuff sold by NewEgg (not 3rd parties) is free shipping.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Area Manager

Thanks; I really appreciate that. The thing is, I've lived in Europe for some years now, and electronics are among the pricier items in this country. My best choice is to go back to the store where I got the first one. As it happens, they are on sale; I just didn't know it at the time.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Area Manager

By the way, this is the one I got:

Kingston 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL11 Dual Voltage (DE536d6)

Old 07-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Store Manager

Yep, that's distinctly different than the stock RAM. The original chips are 2GB DDR3 1333MHz, or half the capacity each, and a bit slower. The DDR3L is a newer, version that has the option to run at a lower voltage, using less power overall. They'll work in the same slots, but might not play well with the older sticks. The computer will *usually* just handle everything at the speed the slowest part can handle, but... sometimes doesn't work right.

For best results, just replace the 2 originals with the newer sticks, using the same slots. When funds permit, add the other 2 sticks at the same time. (Go from 2 sticks to 4 sticks, not 2-3-4) You'll notice the difference going from 4 to 8GB of RAM. It's a significant jump. For real memory hogs like I tend to use, the jump from 8 to 16 is really nice.

Last edited by Buzzard; 07-27-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: DDR3L info added.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:30 PM
Area Manager

Buzzard, thank you!

I bought another stick today (exactly the same kind), brought it home, inserted both, and turned on the computer.

One more hissy fit.

I removed both sticks, turned the computer on again, and came here to see what the latest advice is. And I found your recommendation of REPLACING the old memory with the new.

This may be my only hope. Maybe the old memory doesn't work or play well with the new.

Out with the old memory, in with the new - in the same slots, as you suggested.

Now. Just on the off-chance that this doesn't work, what should I try?

Last edited by Eireann; 07-27-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Closed Thread