Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have this sort of problem often at the library, mostly because patrons wait until the last minute to decide they want to sign up for a library card, argue about overdue fines,......etc. Or some parent would be late picking their kid(s) up from the library, so at least two staff members would have to wait until the parents arrived.

Comment

Arguing about the time is something that can get very entertaining.

SC: "What time is happy hour?"
      JESTER: "From 5 till 7."
      SC: "Can we get happy hour prices now? Happy Hour is only ten minutes away."
      JESTER: "No. No you can't."

SC: "Well my watch says it's 5 o'clock."
      JESTER: "That's great, but the bar doesn't go by your watch, it goes by their clock. And their clock says it's only 4:55."

SC: "Can we still get happy hour prices?"
      JESTER: "No, sorry, it's 7:05."
      SC: "Well, MY watch says it's only 6:58."
      JESTER: "That's great, but the bar doesn't go by your watch, it goes by their clock. And their clock says it's 7:05."

SC: "Are you still serving food?"
      JESTER: "Yes, but since it's after 11, we are on the late night menu."
      SC: "My clock says it's only 10:54, can I still get food from the regular menu?"
      JESTER: "No, because the restaurant computer says it's after 11."

Etc., etc., etc. Repeat ad nauseum.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Pardon me for asking but what is happy hour?

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
          It's an hour (usually several, these days) where a bar, or similar establishment, offers extremely good deals on things like Well drinks (the stuff that's not "Top Shelf", aka generic rum instead of Bacardi or Capt.Morgan's), pitchers of beer, drafts, etc. Stuff that's popular and cheap enough to discount significantly while making it up in volume.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Once I put up the CLOSED sign it means that the dept is closed. You will not get help. You had from 6AM to 9PM to do you business with us. I let it slide once and did not LEAVE toe dept until 9:20, 20 mins. late.

Comment

Matt brought up one of the most important points, to me. A store is open for upwards of 12 hours per day. If you couldn't be bothered to make it in during that time, too bad for you. This is why I hate the people who call in after 10pm for trivial, stupid stuff that can't be done because no one but the bare bones after hours staff are in, and we're only here to handle emergency stuff, not your whining. If what you're asking for requires a credit analyst, non-emergency technical support, has anything to do with your cell phone, or is just annoying, call in during normal business hours, when the people who can help you with that are there.

Oh, and you not having your cell phone for one night? Not an emergency. And no matter who you are, you're not going to convince me that it is when I have entire 911 centers to handle. Grr../end rant. Sore subject--sorry.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I just tell the customers that the register is already closed and locked down and I cannot open it or else it triggers the alarm. (which is half true)

It works most of the time. But I feel your pain.
                Last edited by AliasWeird; 08-21-2007, 04:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
                Caution: Misspellings after Midnight

Comment

I wish our registers were programmed to only allow sales/transactions to take place during the hours the store is open. Let's say the store closes at 9PM the last two customers are left. One listens to the announcements the other does not. The one who listens comes up at 8:58, her transaction is complete and he/she leaves. Now let's say it takes 3 minutes. It would be 9:01 the resister software would atomically lock the terminal and prevent the cashier from doing anything. This would be tied in with automated PA announcements like" attention Shoppers the store closes at X time which is in X number of minutes. After that time the registers are automatically locked and no sales will be allowed. The store opens at X time tomorrow morning." Of course their would be a way for the head cashier or manager to allow late sales, but it would be audited and for emergency situations only, like bad storms and people need batteries, bread, peanut butter/jelly etc.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    I wish our registers were programmed to only allow sales/transactions to take place during the hours the store is open. Let's say the store closes at 9PM the last two customers are left. One listens to the announcements the other does not. The one who listens comes up at 8:58, her transaction is complete and he/she leaves. Now let's say it takes 3 minutes. It would be 9:01 the resister software would atomically lock the terminal and prevent the cashier from doing anything. This would be tied in with automated PA announcements like" attention Shoppers the store closes at X time which is in X number of minutes. After that time the registers are automatically locked and no sales will be allowed. The store opens at X time tomorrow morning." Of course their would be a way for the head cashier or manager to allow late sales, but it would be audited and for emergency situations only, like bad storms and people need batteries, bread, peanut butter/jelly etc.
                    How did that quote go: If it makes sense, it's a bad idea.

And looks like Coop is watching us: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20070819
                    Last edited by Hon'ya-chan; 08-21-2007, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                      Just a Dude touched on this, but I will try to elaborate.

Happy Hour is a time period during the day when a drinking establishment (be it bar or restaurant) offers various specials on drinks and/or food to try to get more business. Generally speaking, said time period is one that would normally be slow, which is why the establishment is offering such inducements to get people to come.

The specials vary from bar to bar, as do the policies surrounding them, but often times may include free buffets, cheap appetizers, 2 for 1's on certain drinks, reduced prices on certain drinks, etc.

As examples, the Waterfront Bar has most (but not all) of their drinks at reduced prices during their TWO (7am-noon and 5pm-7pm) happy hours, and these prices are good throughout the establishment. The Bar, on the other hand, has 2 for 1 wells drinks, domestic drafts, and domestic bottles during their happy hour, which runs 4pm-7pm, but the specials are available at the bar only (not in the dining room).

Amusingly, my mom once suggested happy hour to me as a way to save money. This is amusing for many reasons:

1. My mom doesn't drink, and at the height of her drinking would have maybe half a glass of red wine with dinner at Christmas, if that.
                      2. She didn't like what she perceived as my tendency to drink a lot.
                      3. I was an 18 year old freshman in college at the time, and thus under the legal drinking age.

So, why did mom suggest happy hour? Simple. Even mom knew that a lot of places offer free buffets or reduced price appetizers. For a college student on a budget, that is a big deal. Of course, mom thought it would be great if I went in and got a soda and took advantage of the buffet. Silly woman. Yes, I admit, I did take advantage of the buffet.

But I wasn't drinking soda.
                      Last edited by Jester; 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X