Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so far I've only had 2 bad experiences with deaf people (and really the first one was with the deaf person's friend)... when I worked at national car rental it wasn't uncommon to have deaf people return cars... yeah I will admit it was kinda frustrating to have a line of 10 people waiting to return there cars and having to work everything out in righting sense I don't know how to sign and most of them couldn't read lips... but they were still polite and understanding that I was doing the best that I could for not really being equiped to properly serve them, but one took the cake I was struggling to help this one gentleman (who really was pleasant) and his friend was in the background complaining about how long it was taking (his friend was not deaf) and as soon as they walk off they start signing to each other... WTF you can complain about how long it's taking but you won't offer to be an interpreter to speed things up?
    At the call center I've gotten several calls through interpreter services... it is not uncommon for me to just use the interpreters voice to go off on whether to call the person sir or ma'am, granted this story is somewhat the interpreter's fault but it's a mistake other interpreters have made without the person going all SC, but I said something like "and did you want me to go ahead and set up your reservation for you today ma'am" and this guy (through the interpreter) blew up, how dare I suggest that he was a woman, wasn't it obvious that he was a man? Umm, no, I can't see you and you are using a woman interpreter, no where in the conversation have you said anything that would indicate your gender, even if you had, I'm speaking to a woman so it is a understandable mistake to make.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've used the interpretor services only once before and it was a really cool experience. But why didn't the interpretor change the "ma'am" to a "sir"?
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        I've used the interpretor services only once before and it was a really cool experience. But why didn't the interpretor change the "ma'am" to a "sir"?
        good question... most of them do... that still doesn't really justify a full out freak out over it
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
        X