Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My misunderstanding... (long, language)

I had posted this story on the Livejournal customers_suck community(is anyone else here there?), but forgot to post it here.

The customers were this deaf couple that I've seen a few times. The guy is usually super nice, translating the woman's ASL. The woman usually communicates to the servers through writing if he's not around. They ask for a very well lit table; I bring them over to one and turn up the house lights a little bit.
    The guy orders the chicken egg foo young, no sauce, wonton soup. He politely asks to see what I had written to make sure there were no miscommunication. I'm fine with that, show him my pad, blah blah. He goes to the bathroom.
    The woman writes down that she wants wonton soup. Then she starts looking through the menu. Why she couldn't have started looking earlier, I don't know. Every time I try to say something along the lines of "I can give you a few more moments with the menu..." and walk away, she gestures for me to stay. After I've been standing there quite a while, she writes down that she wants shrimp chow mein. I double check, go put in their order, make the soup, blah blah.
    I bring out the entrees. She has a complete temper tantrum, screaming and flailing. As you can imagine, I'm SO CONFUSED. The guy starts signing at her, she just keeps yelling at me. He explains that I brought the wrong thing out for her. I explain that she had written down shrimp chow mein and that it was what I brought out. He insists that it's the wrong thing and that I need to ask the other server what she usually gets. I find the other server and am told that she usually gets chicken with broccoli. I ask her if that's what she wants, she gets this really nasty look on her face, writes down to make sure the broccoli is soft because she has a toothache. Okay, okay, fine.
    I go to void the old entree and put in the new one. The register where we input orders is next to/on the bar. Behind the bar, there's a mirror that reflects the entire restaurant.. I see her signing angrily at the guy, then gives me the finger. Whatever. The food is brought out, she starts sulkily eating it. They finish, I bring the check, cash them out.
    And they just sit there. Not talking or even looking at each other. At one point she waves me over to tell me that, since the ice in her water had melted, some water had gotten on the table. Not a puddle, but drops. I apologize, wipe it up and offer to get her a new glass of water. She just stares at me, tells me that she just wanted to tell me. Okaaay?
    Later on, she waves me over and writes down something to the effect of "Do you understand your mistake? Do you understand which was the right dish and which was the wrong one? Will you remember next time?". I nod. She writes "You had better understand, you stupid bitch." and just GLARES at me. I nod, smile, walk away. They were still there when I left half an hour later. No tip, of course.
    I can only imagine the difficulty that deaf people may have in our society. Heck, even a nasty toothache is more trouble than most people can handle. But that is NO reason to treat me(or anyone) like that. I still don't understand what I did wrong. She wrote out shrimp chow mein, that's what I brought out. I wasn't rude to them, I didn't treat them like idiots, I tried my best to help them. But I'm a stupid bitch. Righty-oh.
    Everything the woman wrote was on a notepad she carried around with her. If she had written on the placemat or some other piece of paper, I would've shown it to the owner and requested her banned. Unfortunately, I have no proof, and the owner is the sort to back up the customer and not her employees.
    I have explained the situation to the other servers and stated that I will never serve her every again. I don't care if we get another nasty October snowstorm and we're the only restaurant open in the entire Buffalo area. Never.

So a few weeks ago, we had a bridal shower at the restaurant. Weddings are not my thing, but anyone who gives me free vegan chocolate-cherry cake is okie-dokie by me! We had opened early for the party, and they were supposed to be done about an hour before we opened. The party ran long, and we were pretty late in cleaning up. So it's me, H(the other server), and the owner. The owner is trying to settle the bill with the mother of the bride, and H just needs to help me clean up and put all the tables back in their original spots. So if someone comes in, I should help them out.
    Then SHE walks in, with the guy. The wants to use the bathroom. Oh, look, something I have to do in the kitchen! ZOOM!

Cast:
    H- Co-worker
    DB- Deaf Bitch
    DBF- Deaf Bitch's friend

H: There's someone in the bathroom.
    DB: *frantic signing*
    DBF: But she has to use the bathroom.
    H: Okay, but there's someone in there right now. When that person has left, you can use it.
    *signing*
    DBF: But she has to go now.
    H: (repeats)
    DB: HEY! *scowls and signs*
    H: There's someone in the bathroom. You need to wait. If you yell like that again, you WILL LEAVE.

I love H.

So H goes back to cleaning, DB uses the bathroom and sits down near the register. I realized she wanted to eat here. Oh, darn. Looks like I have another random thing to do in the kitchen. Soon H and the owner are all finished up and leave. DB is still here. Every time I walk into the dining room, she waves at me. Oops, something else I need to do in the kitchen. She finally left before my first table came in.

Normally, I would never ignore a customer, even if they were at a different server's table. But respect is a two-way street; I refuse to be polite to someone who treats me like a sniveling puppy-stomping monster. And it's not that she was deaf... I've had deaf customers before and have never encountered this behavior before.
    "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
    "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
    X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
    . She just stares at me, tells me that she just wanted to tell me. Okaaay?
    Later on, she waves me over and writes down something to the effect of "Do you understand your mistake? Do you understand which was the right dish and which was the wrong one? Will you remember next time?". I nod. She writes "You had better understand, you stupid bitch."

Wow. Just wow. I couldnt handle it. I might've smacked her.

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
      But respect is a two-way street; I refuse to be polite to someone who treats me like a sniveling puppy-stomping monster. And it's not that she was deaf... I've had deaf customers before and have never encountered this behavior before.
      No, it's not because she's deaf, it's because she's an abusive bitch. Assholes come in all creeds, colors, cultures, etc. Just because someone is handicapped does not mean they are always right, or incapable of being an asshole.

I don't blame you for avoiding her, and I sure wish your manager had the decency to back you up.
      Last edited by XCashier; 06-24-2008, 02:16 AM.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Wow, we have a deaf lady who comes into my store from time to time and she is always very nice and polite so I've never had a problem, I don't know what I would do if I did though.

Comment

There was an old guy that came to the gas station that had a walking cane and he actually hit someone with it because they wouldn't let him go first.

My jaw literally dropped to the floor when I saw that happen.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Wow. Just wow. I couldnt handle it. I might've smacked her.
            When I get mad, I cannot show it. This is because I grew up with an abusive stepfather, who would hit me if I showed the slightest sign of unhappiness. I have had angry reactions beaten out of me, quite literally.
            This has served me quite well in customer service. I just smile, walk away, then come here to rant. It's been years of therapy and concerned loved ones to relearn how to express anger, and I still have a ways to go.
            "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."

Comment

Unclejampuff, I feel for you. My mother was very strict with me growing up, and she had a zero tolerance policy for "whining" and "complaining". So if I seem a little over dramatic on here at times, it's because on my own time is the only time I can actually rant and rave. She never beat me, but she'd yell and scream at me (quite hypocritical, eh?) for showing displeasure in things. According to her, "ladies don't complain". But she does it 24/7.

Such is the reason when people ask me in my threads why I didn't blow up or do something or how I stay so patient, thus is why.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'd have a little "sign language" of my own for that hosebeast, I would.

No need to be an asshole because you're deaf.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Two regular customers of ours are a deaf man and his friend, and they are nothing but pleasant to wait on. Every time I pass by their table, the deaf man smiles and waves or gives me a thumbs-up. I have more trouble with customers who have no communication problems =D

Comment

The deaf people I knew (all of two of them) were always nice and sweet and never had much of a problem with comunication. (I know a bit of ASL myself, but not enough to hold a conversation)

Asshattery knows no handicap.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

When I worked in Member Services for my company, we had one chapter completely composed of deaf women, and they would call fairly regularly through a relay service. They were always really nice, polite, and unfailingly patient. We thought they were awesome. There was another customer who was a little difficult: she was legally blind, and would to place an order and ask really specific questions about certain items. Her orders always took a while, but she placed pretty large orders, and never got rude, so none of us minded.
                      Usually, the rude EWs I encountered were those with no disabilities at all! Go figure.

My sympathies to you for having to deal with that woman!!!!
                      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Being as I'm deaf myself, I'll point right out that if that woman was hearing, she'd still be as big a bitch as she was. Some people just aren't happy with ANYTHING. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know some people like her who think that because they're disabled, they're automatically entitled to everything. Fortunately that isn't a representation of the deaf community, but like every community, we have our share of bad apples. Hope you don't have to deal with her again anytime soon!
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          Asshattery knows no handicap.
                          If only I had more room in my signature! Curses!! AAAARRREEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am sorry that you had to deal with this situation.
                            I do have to ask . . .did you ask the friend to see what she had written on her pad? (Shrimp Chow Mein and the rude comments about understanding and name calling?)

There is no reason for a human to treat another human like that. Sadly the manner/ behavior police don't appear to exist anymore.

I also wouldn't hesitate to point out in the future to the friend that the name she called you was not appropriate and in the future you will only communicate with them and not her. At least and until she learns to show you respect.

Comment

There's actually a deaf professor on my campus (or used to be, haven't had to deal with her in a couple years now) and she was one of the most self-important, entitled bitches ever. If we didn't cater to her every need, she - would - FREAK.

I remember one case where she was scheduled in a classroom that had an older TV in it and as such, didn't have closed captioning. The proper thing to do would have been to ask me what classrooms HAD TVs that had CC capabilities. But no, she called my office (through that voice-assistance service) and demanded that we put a different TV in her classroom (which, due to the way our equipment is configured and secured in that particular building, wouldn't be possible). My secretary at the time suggested to her that the best course of action might be changing classrooms to one that HAD a CC capable TV, to which she responded (by way of the voice-assistance woman, who apologized before saying it), "No, you stupid bitch, I'm staying in that classroom!!"

That one professor, unfortunately, left a bad, bad impression of deaf people on me. I suppose we could say that there's a group of them that are just rude entitlement whores...but logically, we can just say that they're part of the segment of the overall population that are rude entitlement whores.

Thankfully, I've since encountered a handful of deaf people that are decent human beings.

Comment

Working...
                              X