This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language Barriers

I live in an area with a fair size Latino and Asian population so of course we get quite a few of them through my store. Some can speak english well, some can speak passably and some can barely speak it at all.

I speak english, I know a few spanish words and phrases and I speak a bit of french (I am Canadian remember).

Now oftentimes its difficult when speaking with a customer who does not know a lot of English but usually after some effort we can figure out what needs to be done.

Sometimes though the customers get visibly angry and upset with ME for not being able to speak their language.

Look I'm sorry I'm not a universal translator but cussing at me (in English), yelling at me, giving me dirty looks or throwing objects at me (had a guy throw his bill at me one time) is not going to make it any easier for me to understand you.

So here's my advice to you folks: If you can't speak english, please bring a translator along with you. It will make things much easier for both of us.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I'm assuming you live in the United States.
    Part of the problem is we have no official language. Most other nations do.
    Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
      I'm assuming you live in the United States.
      Part of the problem is we have no official language. Most other nations do.
      He lives in Canada ^^;

to the OP: I know your pain, except a lot of the people use their kids as translators at my work. It works I guess...
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Although sometimes if you know the other language well and you get upset, you can always swear in the language and nobody will know (provided that you don't swear in front of someone who knows that language!).
        I'm trying to work out how to say "your mumma is so fat that she lives in the lifts because she can't get out of them!" in French. Anyone here know?

EDIT: Oh and while the guy did speak English, it was still a pain in the butt. We get this guy who comes in and buys normally, but tries to pay with an unsigned credit card. I tell him that I won't accept it but he then goes on about how it's from his country and ra ra ra. I'm ready to start cursing at him in Spanish once I know how.
        Last edited by fireheart; 10-30-2008, 09:53 PM.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

*hands over cookies* ouch, that's just rough! What goes through through someone's head when they get angry at someone for not speaking a language?!

oh right, these are SCs we're talking about
          Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
          --Unknown

Comment

I deal with this a lot. Being on graveyards, we have a lot of immigrant workers in caretaking, and even as patrol guards.

Now, a lot of them understand English perfectly well (They have to, or we don't let them work here) and most of the ones deal with are intelligible. But the big issue is they'll go too fast... they'll rattle off something that would be difficult to decipher at the best of times, but at something like 2-3 times as fast as a native english speaker would say it. Half the time I'm just left staring, dumbfounded.

You tend to get used to certain people though, and get better at understanding them, but it's a very individual thing. If I didn't work with these people every day, I wouldn't have a hope in hell.
            Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Actually although I was born and have spent most of my life in Canada, I currently reside in the United States.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Well, we may not have an official language, but it's commonly accepted that Americans speak English. So someone getting mad at you for not speaking Chinese or something is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

When I was at the watch store, I had a customer come in with his kids, they spoke Spanish to each other, broken English to me. One the kids asked (In English) if I spoked Spanish. I apologized, "No, I don't." THe father got huffy, and while I couldn't tell what he was saying, from the tone I think he was lecturing me that I should speak Spanish. I looked him right in the eye, and inquired, "Parlez-vous francais?" He blinked, and said, "No, no sorry." The rest of the transaction was done in English.

(the only problem with this is that was more or less the extent of my french, and one of his kids said she could speak it, lol)

Though, in hindsight, I do wish I took Spanish in school....
                  "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                  "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

My department store has lots of East-Europeans and tourists. It sucks when you can't understand what they're trying to say in English (ie. 2 unconnected words that don't make sense) so they switch to Polish/other language. It really annoys me. Or the ones that get annoyed. They also don't have a clue how to shop and think they're in a high-end department store..aghhh!

Comment

Note: I was born in Germany, now reside in the US. English is my second language, but I do pretty good at it, if I may say so myself.

a few years ago boss sent me to fit keys to mini van. I get there and nobody there speaks any english (just spanish). After many hand and feet gestures I figure out which of the 4 vans in the driveway need the keys made and start dis-assembling the steering collumn to get the ignition out. They freak out on me for taking their car apart. What with the language barrier I couldn't get them to understand that I knew what I was doing and that it was necessary. So there is a lot of yelling in spanish going on, with me throwing up my hands in frustration, when they drag up a b/tch lady from down the street who was versed in the spanish language. After her translating my reasoning for taking the car appart, she proceeded to stand there and rant and rave at me for a good 20 min. about how if we advertise our services in this area, we better be able to speak spanish....blah, blah..... false advertising... blah, blah..... and how it is unprofessional not to know at least partial spanish...blah, blah, blah... since they are paying for my services, I should be more accomodating and enroll in some spanish classes.....blah, blah, blah.....

I finally just looked at her and said: "Look, english is my second language. Since I obyiously learned it when I got here, so could they!" Then I proceeded to cuss her out in German Her:

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                        Although sometimes if you know the other language well and you get upset, you can always swear in the language and nobody will know (provided that you don't swear in front of someone who knows that language!).
                        I'm trying to work out how to say "your mumma is so fat that she lives in the lifts because she can't get out of them!" in French. Anyone here know?
                        I'll translate it for you:

"Ta mère est si grosse qu'elle habite dans un ascenseur parce qu'elle ne peut pas en sortir!"

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                          I finally just looked at her and said: "Look, english is my second language. Since I obyiously learned it when I got here, so could they!"
                          Well played!

Before I went to Europe (Paris & Madrid) I studied up on French and Spanish so I could at least speak conversationally and deal with the basic necessities in the local language. Did I appreciate it when someone spoke English? Yes. Did I expect it? No.

I live in the Northeast US and a fairly large portion of the Hispanic population here expects everyone to learn Spanish to communicate with them. I just don't understand that mindset. If you travel, or in their case move, to a country, you should learn the most commonly spoken language for that country. The onus is on you to learn to communicate, not on everyone else to bend over backward to assist you.

It just irritates me to no end that some of these people have lived here for over a decade and can't be bothered to speak English beyond "Hello" and "Sorry, no English, only Spanish."

I apologize to anyone that thinks I'm bigoted (I've been accused on a number of occasions over this issue) but I think logic, sense, and basic courtesy are on my side.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                            I apologize to anyone that thinks I'm bigoted (I've been accused on a number of occasions over this issue) but I think logic, sense, and basic courtesy are on my side.
                            Gerrison, I could kiss you.

Well, I can't, but I would if I could.

This issue has been discussed with friends and family in the Business World multiple times and we pretty much agree on that.

But then I also think we, as the planet, should standardize a monetary set of coins and paper bills, but that's just me (When they make the Universal Translater implants who's going to get one besides me?)
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                              not only common courtesy.... what I've always pointed out to people who refuse to learn English... when I can move to Mexico (I only chose Mexico for this example because it's the country closest to us that speaks a different language) and not have to learn Spanish and have everyone else learn English to accomodate me, then I will have no problem learning Spanish to accomodate you.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X