This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scam Thwarted (longish)

forward: This story is a classic. It takes place about 10-11 years ago.

At the time I was working in Grocery instead of Dairy. One morning we get a Price check on Michelob 18 pack beer. I zip over to the Liquor dept and call the check for $10.49 (IIRC). The Checker pages me on the intercom. She tells me that the customer in question saw a tag for $7.49 and could I check to see if there is one. I Laugh and say ok, knowing that there is NO WAY IN HELL that that beer is that cheap. I check the floor display. 10.49. I check the cold box 10.49. When I get to the warm side I see that of the 3 types of Mic 2 are marked with 10.49, and that the one in question that he has has a red sticker that does say 7.49. Only there is a problem....

One half of the tag is machine printed. One half is hand written.

Back in the day before we printed tags on site, We WOULD have to use handwritten tags for managers specials, lost tags, etc. BUT the WHOLE tag would be handwritten, not just a new price placed over the old tag. And on top of that I recognize What the hand written tag was from (12 pack bud manager who wrote the tag was distinctive) So I bend down and sure enough the red portion of the tag had been cut and pasted over the "real tag". By this time the checker has come to the aisle looking for me, because the customer is starting to be a PITA. I Tell her "look someone placed a tag over the proper tag" <proceeding to peel off red portion) revealing that the price Should be 10.49, she she takes the half tag and goes back to her register to tell the customer, that the tag was wrong and he has to pay pull price. I am chuckling about this to myself when 30 seconds later the customer comes running to the liquor department.

Approximate conversation... it WAS 10 years ago.

SC: Where is that tag i saw?
    Me: I took it down, It was Inaccurate.
    SC: You can't do that.
    Me: Umm yes I can. The tag was fraudulant.
    SC: You CAN'T Change prices on things while I am still in the store, you have to wait til I leave to change prices, you have to give me the price I saw.
    Me: Sir, The store did not change the price. The price you saw was Inaccurate. Someone placed half a tag over the proper tag. It Is NOT the stores fault. You saw that every other price was marked for 10.49 and thought that just because you saw an obviously mismarked tag that we would honor it?
    SC: Thats Bait and Switch and illegal. I want to talk with your manager.

Aside: Actually no that is not bait and switch...

So I call the manager down, Jerry. Jerry is cool.

J: What seem to be the problem.
    Me: <explains what is going on>
    J: DaDairyDruid is correct, Someone who does not work here Altered the tag, and we are not obligated to honor that price.
    SC: <getting obviously angry> THAT DOES IT I'm reporting you all to the Better Buisness Bureau, I want your name <points to J> Your name <points at me> and the checkers name. You can't do this, I saw a price and I am demanding that price be honored.
    J: Go ahead and report us, the Investigation will show we did nothing wrong. <gives SC all our names>
    SC: well fine then I'll be back <stomps out of the store>

J later told me that I did the right thing, and while the customer DID come back, demanding the price later that day, it was not honored.

I do not honestly know If he was the one who placed the half a tag there. But he should have known better anyways.
    Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
    Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
    Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

I used to work at a convenience store. We had our cigarette prices (for the most popular brands) posted on one of those flip-chart style boards like gas stations used to use. We had the signs padlocked so customers couldn't change the prices. Well one special snowflake CUT the lock and changed the price. Too bad for him we had security cameras outside

Comment

I like your signature. "I'd go with Betty, but I'd be thinking of Wilma."

On topic...this happens sometimes in the bookstore. The worst was a women buying a DSM-type book, something huge and clinical and expensive. I scanned the book and was surprised it rang up as $12.99 (the actual price was around $60). Upon closer inspection I saw the sticker was for a completely different book. It had been placed over the original sticker perfectly, so the edges lined up and everything. I informed the woman of this and of the correct price.

SC: $60?! You have to give it to me for the price I found on it!
      Me: Sorry ma'am, I can't.
      SC: But YOU PEOPLE put the wrong sticker there!
      Me: No, we didn't. The original sticker is there. SOMEONE ELSE (here I give her a pointed look) placed another sticker over the original, probably trying to scam us.

She left without another word.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Your manager let him off easy. In many states, altering the prices is within the legal definition of retail theft--yes even if they don't actually take the merchandise out of the store.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm just waiting for someone to try a stunt like that at my store so I can drop the phrase "Theft by deception" and see what sort of response i get.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I used to work for a CD/DVD store that went bankrupt. During the liquidation, we were told to scan the true barcode on the back of product and not the sticker price label. Why? Because not-so-honest customers would switch labels so that $40.00 MP3 player rang up as a $3.00 book. Yeah, bankrupsty brings out the vultures and a-holes. I really feel sorry for the folks at Linens N Things right now
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
            X