Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who - Bells of Saint John (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're on #11 now...in the series, they usually mention that most Time Lords only get 12 or 13 regenerations...but that's only when they decide they don't want to ignore that rule. The Master, for instance, was supposed to have been out of regenerations before the series rebooted, but he regenerated both into The Professor, and into his younger self for series 3. The Doctor is noted in past episodes to have an iteration out there somewhere "between his twelfth and final regeneration" which most people used to imply meant he would only get 13 or 14 forms, but that can be effectively re-written as often as possible. Hell, in "Let's Kill Hitler", a certain someone gave him their regenerations to use!

And more whiteout:

I had completely forgotten that The Great Intelligence had appeared before in the old series. However, even if I'm wrong about my ideas before, I still have a bet that the Valeyard will be the mastermind for things that have occurred since Season 5 as a whole.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
      The Master, for instance, was supposed to have been out of regenerations before the series rebooted, but he regenerated both into The Professor, and into his younger self for series 3. ]
      Not quite. In the lead up to (in the old series) The Keeper of Trakin, (Tom Baker's last season) the Master was indeed proported to be out of regenerations and was trying desperately to stave off "death" with varioius scemes. He was shown to be old decrepid and weak in body but not in mind. The Master in this state is in 2 or 3 episodes like the Deadly Assassin.

In the keeper of Trakin the Master uses the residual power of the Keepers position (which he stole but was forced out of by the Dr.) to "merge" with a "new" existing person body. What is not explained as I remember is IF he now has 12 more regenerations.

Through out Peter Davidson's and Collin Baker's run the Master is still running around.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

That's what I mean though Racket...Time Lords only run out of regenerations if they're not important to the story any more

Edit: Oh, another thought I just remembered as to who the "girl in the store" could've been: Remember season 4? The Doctor has a "daughter" cloned from his DNA who can regenerate. She's still out there somewhere...

Comment

It's also been suggested that Rassilon just made up all the excuses about the regeneration energy to keep himself as all powerful.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

It was a strange kind of episode, even for Dr Who. It also wasn't one of Moffat's best by any means. Though I like the new companion, this episode did not show her in the best light, and the story was rather lacking.

Comment

The one thing that still bothers me... like I think it borders on a plot hole.
              The people working for the Great Intelligence want people with computer skills (they explicitly state that Clara's lack of computer skills could be a problem, but she was clever enough that they could program them into her).
              They capture the people by having them connect to an unknown wifi.
              Almost no one who is familiar with computers though would risk connecting to an unrecognized wifi.
              So, where the hell are they finding these computer savvy people?
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Do I count? I don't have wireless in my flat, only cabled Internet (stupid student accommodation) and also the worst phone signal ever so I don't even have 3G. Even known that they take some people, that's a risk I may be willing to take assuming they let me get internets in the mean time!

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I know some very, very intelligent people who have done some of the dumbest things I've ever seen/heard of. I could totally see some of them connecting to a wifi like that

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                    .. I could totally see some of them connecting to a wifi like that
                    R2D2 plugging his "probe" into some random socket...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      Perhaps the computer savvy people are testing these unsecured wifi networks to see how dangerous they are, after taking (what they think are) proper precautions?

It seemed more like that the GI's people were looking for clever and intelligent people, and just giving them the computer skills during the upload as necessary.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

dont forget hackers logging into strange wifi to do their things....
                        Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                        Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                        Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Quoth PandaHat View Post
                          Do I count? I don't have wireless in my flat, only cabled Internet (stupid student accommodation) and also the worst phone signal ever so I don't even have 3G. Even known that they take some people, that's a risk I may be willing to take assuming they let me get internets in the mean time!
                          You can set up your own wireless. Just get a wireless router. Connect the wired signal to it and then set up a password.

Weird that your student apartment is so primitive though. Everywhere has wireless now, even McDonalds.
                          Last edited by Moirae; 04-06-2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

So...last night's episode.

Loved the aliens populating the background (they sat next to a Hath!!) and I love how Clara just adapts to all of the strange.

But it's feeling like Moffat's going with a "call back" theme which feels rather flat overall. I felt bored at the end of the episode. And very confused by the fact that I felt bored.
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Yeah, wasn't their best effort this time. It was one of those "mostly harmless" episodes, though it should be noted that, at the most, only 1 person died...that's rare at times And he may have just teleported away...it's not clear.

I think this is just one of those episodes that doesn't tie in much with the overall story arc, which isn't bad, but the super-fast deux ex machina ending moment was just annoying.

Comment

The one thing I will give the most recent episode is it gave Matt Smith a chance to do what he does best, and that is to make an epic speech. Say what you will about the story, hell, say what you will about the content of the speech, Matt Smith is a great orator and put a long string of words in front of him and he will turn it into a masterful piece of art.
                                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                                X