Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethnicity Vs. Race; What makes them different?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnicity Vs. Race; What makes them different?

While reading about a particular case that's on everyone's minds, I came across this article. It talks about ethnicity vs. race, and that hispanic is not a race, which confuses me as it's an option when you chose your race on forms. It says because hispanics or latinos can come from different areas; africa, south america, europe. Well, yes, but so can't a black person who's not african american, but yet we do seem to interchange the two - they could be from the caribbean for example; and yet that doesn't make it an ethnicity. Just as asians/orientals can be from japan, china, korea, etc. It's just confusing and I'm trying to educate myself so I don't offend. I don't agree with many of the terms we have now anyway, they're too broad. I'd appreciate input so I can understand correctly.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I was just wondering that the other day. On several forms I've had to fill out race, with the usual selection, except hispanic. They had another selection for ethnicity, and my options were hispanic or not. Very confused.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I only recognize two races: Human and otherwise.

Many of my worst customers belong to "otherwise."

The rest of it? I could give two flying shits about it. Seriously, one race kids. The HUMAN race. Quibbling about the differences is what started all the trouble in the first place.

I mean, if one of my nieces asked me if I had any objections to her dating outside of her race, I would ask her, "What, are you planning on dating a cat? Maybe an armadillo? Please don't tell me you're romantically involved with a rhinoceros! I don't think society's ready for that yet!"

One race. 'Nuff said.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Biologically race would mean human. But there are social constructions that vary between regions and countries of race and ethnicity.

I've seen UK questionnaires that don't just ask the standard white, black, Asian, but also which region.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Um, no. Sorry. This is very much a Fratching topic.

Please take it there if you wish.

Thread closed.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
          X