This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Saturdays...

It is the shortest non business day of the week for a bank teller. But of course the bank I work for in the name of convenience decided to stay open for two more hours than most banks. (Not Commerce)

I hate it when the MN stands behind us at the teller's station to observe us and I seem to forget he's there a lot. He's not overbearing nor intimidating. Friendly guy actually.

I just finished a simple transaction of depositing a check for this young lady.

Me: Thank you, have a day. (Hands receipt)

SC: (Glances over receipt quickly) The check went in the checking right?

Me: (With no attitude nor rudeness, nor even being a smartass) The account number you wrote down is what the check will be deposited into. (I honestly couldn't remember anyway)

SC: Oh okay. (Well she wasn't a SC at all, just clueless. Then she walks off.)

MN: Wow B! You are so rude.

Me: (Startled) What? What are you talking about?

MN: The way you told that young lady "Oh the number you wrote down etc etc."

Me: And how was that rude, I was just sayin---"

MN: No, no we gotta work on your customer service. You were so rude."

Me: Oh my gosh..

MN: No its not oh my gosh.

Me: She's the one who wrote the account number down, she's the one who even checked off the box "Checking" and shit on the receipt it says "Checking Deposit!" And I'm the bad guy here? She didn't seem to think I was rude.

MN: So what, you could of checked it for her through your paperwork/

I just remained tight lipped because there was no point arguing with him. He'll kiss any customer's behind.

If he called that rude, he sure as hell didn't see what I did to this next customer, who deserved it.

SC standing at the business line without a clue. I called him over and he gives me his business card and an empty withdrawal form.

SC: Uh, I want to take money out of my account, I dunno my number...but I need $200.00 worth of quarters."

Me: Alright just fill out the withdrawal form anyway. Step to the side sir as you do that so I can cal a customer.

SC does it with no problem. After I'm done, he comes back and hands me the form for a $300.00 withdrawal.

Me: I thought you said you needed $200.00?

SC: I realized I needed more.

Me: But all I have are $200.00 actually (Lied, ok well he's lucky because I could had limited to $100. I had only $300.00 personally and the other tellers, being it a Saturday after spending the entire week giving out quarters were drained out. I happened to be lucky.)

SC: But, but this is a bank, you don't have $300 of quarters?

Me: No sir. (Keeping a straight face)

SC: But this is a bank!

Me: I'm aware of that. Throughout the week we give out quarters, shipment only comes once a week and you're not the only business around here.

SC: (Blank look)

Me: So do you still want it or not?

SC: Fine.

Me: Yup take what you can get.

As the conversation rolls along my two co workers on either side of me are snorting and chuckling their heads off at my retorts. At my branch in particular, whenever we get to correct a customer, we call it a "buff." We say it aloud ever so often throughout the day, just for humor.
    So I processed his transaction and collect the quarters. As I'm putting them on the counter, he continues to stare me down with that dumb blank look of his.

Me: (Getting annoyed) Is there anything else sir?

SC: What, wait, you're not gonna gimme a bag to carry this?

Me: (Actually smirking because I knew I was going to have fun with him) We don't have bags sir, most business customers come prepared with their own bags.

*BUFF*

SC: How you expect me to carry this?

Me: I don't know. This is not a grocery store.

*Buff* Co workers snickering even louder.

SC: Anything at all?

Me: (I could had given away one of our coin bags. I have before to those were really friendly...but...I just wanted to win and besides...they're not for customers!) Lemme see sir... (I checked around the huge garbage cans we have under our desk and was able to find a thin plastic bag left by a earlier customer. So I slipped it to him.

SC: (Looks at it wide-eyed) This is it?

Me: Yeah, I got it from the garbage.

SC: What? I can't believe this--

Me: Our garbage is pretty clean though, that bag will do. (Tryin so hard not to burst out laughing.)

SC: (Reluctantly puts the quarters in the bag, walks away, and mutters to himself)

Other Teller: He's not gonna make it one block! BUFF!.

What was rude of the guy for asking $200 in quarters? God, knows I had to do that at the last convention we well selling at. My stupid Boss(Main Owner) actually said to only take $50 total, seeing as everyone will be using cards to purchase. 99% of our customers during that weekend, was using cash.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Even though I work at a grocery store, we let businesses come and give us money in exchange for rolls of change. It annoys me to no end, as they get this way also. If they can't have the exact amount they want, they get mad. With the constant exchange of money all day, we need to run our business also. Quarters tend to go fast. Geez.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
        What was rude of the guy for asking $200 in quarters? God, knows I had to do that at the last convention we well selling at. My stupid Boss(Main Owner) actually said to only take $50 total, seeing as everyone will be using cards to purchase. 99% of our customers during that weekend, was using cash.
        I think the point was that the guy then asked for $300, which was about as much as all the tellers had, put together, which would've set them up for a ton of SCs "What do you mean you don't have any quarters? You're a bank!" and kept trying to get more. Remember the magical 'Back Room'?

I'm also betting there was a significant amount of body language involved that just doesn't translate well.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Wow. While I agree that you weren't being rude in the first instance, in the second it seems like you were just having fun at this man's expense for no real reason. While I can't pretend to know how he spoke to you, saying things like, "...you're not the only business around here/So do you still want it or not?/Yup, take what you can get," just seems snide.

Comment

Hmmmm he was alittle sucky and you where alittle sucky.... still kind of funny....

Comment

I think I know why MN was hovering.

What would have been wrong with telling the first customer to allow you to check her and your paperwork to be sure.

You were just plain rude to the second. He is a business owner in your community. While filling out his withdrawal slip he decided that since it may have been busy he might need more change. Then you lied to him and could have easily summoned the MN to approve the extra amount he requested.

I think the thing that bothers me more than anything is the fact that your coworkers and you were stifling laughter. This tells me that this is a normal course of business at your bank.

I can see why you need your MN to hover over all of you in the bank.

My 2¢
              Last edited by bigjimaz; 06-17-2007, 09:32 AM.
              This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Yeah, you were in the right on the first count, but shitty on the second count. I go to the bank almost daily to get change for my gas station. If they are low on coin, I understand, but I have NEVER been told that I cannot have a fricking bag for my coins. "Most people come prepared with their own bags..." That is a horse shit response. I am always given a PLASTIC rapid deposit or change bag. Yes, my bank has been out of bags in the past, but they always at least TRY to help me out.

I have dealt with a ton of sucky customers in my 19 years in retail, but this was a very minor one, based on your post.

Joe

Comment

When I'm working first shift, I do the bank run. (YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! It's gets me away from the store for a bit.)

Anyways, when we first switched banks, they gave us a bunch of cheap plastic bags for deposits, and, as it turned out, for change.

Um, no. Since my boss is an asshat and has no qulams about getting $2-300 worth of quarters at a time*, this doesn't work out so well. Eventually we managed to snag a couple of cloth bank bags from somewhere or other.

*My old boss would get change every day, but the new boss waits until we are almost completely out and no backstock.. Idiot.
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                    I think I know why MN was hovering.

What would have been wrong with telling the first customer to allow you to check her and your paperwork to be sure.

You were just plain rude to the second. He is a business owner in your community. While filling out his withdrawal slip he decided that since it may have been busy he might need more change. Then you lied to him and could have easily summoned the MN to approve the extra amount he requested.

I think the thing that bothers me more than anything is the fact that your coworkers and you were stifling laughter. This tells me that this is a normal course of business at your bank.

I can see why you need your MN to hover over all of you in the bank.

My 2¢
                    I agree. I'm not seeing where the guy in story 2 was rude or even out of line. Yet you are finding amusement at being as unhelpful to him as possible. Sorry, I don't think that's cool.

The second story suggests to me that your co-worker was right in pulling you up on your attitude in the first story. It's not what you say. It's how you say it.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post

I was surprised when I saw dealers taking credit cards this year. I usually take $100 - 300 with me to conventions because I know I'm going to buy some stuff. IME, dealers prefer cash because there's no processing fee or having to wait around while the card gets approved. I prefer it because I can say, "Here. Money. Gimmie goodies!"
                      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Ber924 View Post
                        MN: So what, you could of checked it for her through your paperwork
                        He's right, you could have, you did seem a bit snarky.

Me: Yeah, I got it from the garbage.
                        Holy king of rudeness. You didn't need to say you got it in the garbage and you went way out of your way to be rude to this businessman. Yeah he could have brought his own bag, but you could have been nice enough to give him one. Your whole attitude in this second one screams rude.

Comment

Definitely out of line. For the first customer, it would only have taken a minute to double-check the deposit account. For the second, being deliberately unhelpful and making a joke of a customer is not acceptable.

There are more important things in life than scoring on customers, especially non-sucky customers. This kind of behavior is why I moved most of my business to another bank half a block from the bank I was at for several years. My new bank is a little behind technology-wise, although catching up quickly, but being able to call and getting straight, complete answers, instead of snarkiness and BS, makes it worth it.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I would never expect the teller at the bank to be the one to make sure it went into the right account above and beyond, "This is going into <account>?" If I'm too stupid to make sure I'm depositing my money into the right account, then I deserve what I get.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              If I'm too stupid to make sure I'm depositing my money into the right account, then I deserve what I get.
                              I completely agree.

It's funny to me, because reading the OP's stories, I was amused. Granted, in my head, I assumed that the "victim" in the second instance had an attitude and tone of voice earning him this treatment. I've noticed on this board that I tend to give the employee the benefit of the doubt, unless they do something SO out of line that I can't excuse it. *shrugs*
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                              X