Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My internal voice has had a workout...

Not really sucky but has certainly kept my internal voice busy the last two days. Internal voice in *.

So, unless you were living under a rock, a certain book ie. 'the sequel we never thought would exist' was published two days ago amongst much fanfare, controversy, musings, sweat, tears, blood etc. Bookshops changed their entire decor to go all out for this once-in-a-lifetime release. Impromtu mini-cinemas opened in shopping centres to host special screenings of a certain classic film. Countdowns appeared in shop windows. Speculative opinion pieces were run across the globe. A special early release of the first chapter impossibly stirred up even more controversy. Suspicions ran rampant, declarations were made, social media was aflame with everybody and his wife's opinion about this incredible new book.

On the day of release itself, it was on every channel, every morning sofa, every radio, every news website, every even slightly bookish person's lips. Entire shops were nothing but a sea of orange as groaning piles of the book occupied every possible flat (or even not-so-flat) space a book could possibly sit. Ceilings dripped US flags and birds sprung up all over the place. There were midnight openings with customer's noses pressed to the glass in their eagerness to get their hands on a copy. I've never rung so many customers about their orders before who knew who I was before I even opened my mouth. You could not move or even breathe without coming up against another reminder that this hugely controversial and incredibly unlikely book had just been released and was being hailed as one of the biggest media and publicity campaigns since the days of Harry Potter.

So, amid all this literary frenzy and hysteria, what was one of the first things I'm asked on this heavily book-saturated, almost holy bookish day which had seen the book's image splashed liberally across the world's collective media and been the focus of so much of the globe's attention?

'Is it not available in paperback?'

*blink blink*
    *BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!*
    *ahem*

*apologetic smile* 'No madam, I'm sorry, it was only released this morning so I think it'll probably be about a year. Would you like a free bookmark?'

I guess I'm living under a rock then, cuz I haven't heard any stir about a book lately.

Comment

/me lifts edge of rock, blinks in sudden glare of daylight.

What book? I usually read classics and Dickens hasn't published anything for a while.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

A book by Harper Lee supposed to be the sequel to her first novel.

Paperback on the day it's released? Bwhahahaha! In the word of Bobby Singer: idjit.
        "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
        "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Google, "Go Set a Watchman." Btw, the cover is orange in the UK and blue in the US. I also hadn't heard of this, but searched for "sequel book" in the news section, and poof!

But yeah, it's a dumb question to ask... I suppose some are not familiar with the way publishing works, in that hardcover comes first. I am a convert of the ebook era, somewhat begrudgingly, but it makes for easier moves. (less book-filled boxes)
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

For those who aren't aware, I'll spoiler-text it:

[A sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, titled Go Set a Watchman, was released this week.]

It's been getting a lot of controversy over the characterization of the principal characters. And that's all we'll say on the subject.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Maybe I've just been overly saturated in it? Still, considering it was pretty much blanket coverage on the morning of the release and was pretty much the only thing mentioned on the Beeb's and Guardian's Culture webpages I kinda figured people would know about it and that if all we've got are hardbacks, it's not likely we've got a Super Secret Stash of paperbacks Out The Back or anything...

Yet again the bookish MiniMammoth is reminded that just because her life revolves around books not everyone else has a bloody clue what she's on about Damn and I was trying so hard to spin a good yarn and all
              Last edited by Mini Mammoth; 07-16-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

My store had a midnight release for it. I have yet to learn how that went- I can't imagine the adults turning out in droves to snatch it up and go home to read under the covers (as happened with Harry Potter). They had a cake walk, Pin the Tie on Atticus...kid games for the release of a decidedly adult book.

Supposedly this was written first and rejected; the publisher suggested Lee write about her character as a child, and thus a classic was born.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Mini Mammoth View Post
                  Yet again the bookish MiniMammoth is reminded that just because her life revolves around books not everyone else has a bloody clue what she's on about Damn and I was trying so hard to spin a good yarn and all
                  I knew what you were talking about, so I thoroughly enjoyed your tale. No shame in having one's life revolve around books. I've often entertained the thought of working at a book store, but then I realize I'd never make any money since I'd spend my entire paycheck on books. Then I'd probably get fired for hiding in the stacks and reading. I love books. Books are awesome. My dream home has the library from Beauty and the Beast. Who needs friends when you have books? I had a few people tell me once that they never read the same book twice because now they know what happens. I was like, what are you?! That's blasphemy.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I too knew which book was the subject of the OP. All I can say is I never read the first one, never saw the movie, and will never read the second one. I have too many other books/movies to read/watch first. Speaking of which, I need to go pick a movie to watch tonight.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mini Mammoth View Post
                      Ceilings dripped US flags and birds sprung up all over the place.
                      Just curious, but were the birds you mentioned Mockingbirds or Finches?
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                        I knew what you were talking about, so I thoroughly enjoyed your tale. No shame in having one's life revolve around books. I've often entertained the thought of working at a book store, but then I realize I'd never make any money since I'd spend my entire paycheck on books. Then I'd probably get fired for hiding in the stacks and reading. I love books. Books are awesome. My dream home has the library from Beauty and the Beast. Who needs friends when you have books? I had a few people tell me once that they never read the same book twice because now they know what happens. I was like, what are you?! That's blasphemy.

Oooo, a kindred spirit!

Re: the OP, though, I suspect most people have no idea that books don't generally come out in paperback on the first release. Honestly, I thought the punchline of the story was going to be somebody asking, "What's all the hype about?" And I only say that because literally every form of media I use has been agog with it for days. I don't understand how people can not know it's happening, even if they aren't likely to read it.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hard cover, paperback

I forgot about this book coming because I mostly read SF, but the joke still stands.

If the publisher thinks a book will sell in hard cover (more money, more profit) I consider myself lucky if it comes out in paperback in 6-9 months after the hard cover version.

And there is a reason they hold out for a year or even more, I have ton of hard cover books I bought because I just could not wait until the paperback was available. And the publishers know there are a ton of suckers readers just like me out there.

Comment

I get asked if brand-new books come out in paperback a lot. I don't mind answering because people probably wouldn't know unless they are big readers. Usually new releases come out in hardcover (not always, some smaller titles and genre works are often paperback originals) and stay in hardcover for a year before being released in paperback. Some books stay in hardcover forever because they continue to sell well in that format, and the publishers want All the Money. I remember my poor customers couldn't get The Da Vinci Code or The Hunger Games in paperback for literally 2-3 years.
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              I've often entertained the thought of working at a book store, but then I realize I'd never make any money since I'd spend my entire paycheck on books.
                              You have no idea how many fabric store customers say the same thing about my store. "I'd spend my entire paycheck on fabric / yarn / scrapbooking!" Trust me, you wouldn't. You get tired of the sight of the merchandise rather quickly. Especially when the store's been trashed by hordes of thoughtless customers and you have to tidy up for the millionth time.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X