This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
    I had a few people tell me once that they never read the same book twice because now they know what happens. I was like, what are you?! That's blasphemy.
    Same thought here -- I would never buy a book I do not intend to read and re-read. Hell, many get better the more often I read them, as I pick up on things I missed on prior perusals.
    Last edited by EricKei; 07-17-2015, 04:52 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      You have no idea how many fabric store customers say the same thing about my store. "I'd spend my entire paycheck on fabric / yarn / scrapbooking!" Trust me, you wouldn't. You get tired of the sight of the merchandise rather quickly. Especially when the store's been trashed by hordes of thoughtless customers and you have to tidy up for the millionth time.
      That was exactly what I thought. Most employees at a craft store get their gentle "It'll be like getting paid to do my hobbies" ideas shattered pretty darn fast. I'm sure working at a bookstore would be the same.

I still like crafting, but wow do I get tired of trends fast. Can we say burlap, chevron, grey for babies, infinity scarves, Pintrest. Not that any are inherently bad (though, burlap...) just the overload and general attitude of many of the people ruins these things for me.

Mooncat, it's easy to not know if you don't see any media. Most news and social media makes me upset, so I just don't use any of those outlets. I know, being aware of world events is important... But right now I'm putting my mental health first. Nobody was talking about it, face to face. I do pop onto the local news sites sometimes. BC has a bazillion wildfires, and that makes me sad.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

At first I drew a blank then I scrolled down and it finally clicked. I saw it on the news sites I peruse. Like others I peruse the news to be sure the world is still somewhat standing but avoid over exposure for sanity's sake. I enjoyed your well spun yarn. I get not knowing paperbacks come out a year after the hardback but still kind of a "duh" question.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          You have no idea how many fabric store customers say the same thing about my store. "I'd spend my entire paycheck on fabric / yarn / scrapbooking!" Trust me, you wouldn't. You get tired of the sight of the merchandise rather quickly. Especially when the store's been trashed by hordes of thoughtless customers and you have to tidy up for the millionth time.
          Be that as it may, I am incapable of walking out of a bookstore (or library) with any fewer than 4 books. My "to read" stack is getting a bit ridiculous, lol. I love discount bookstores because you get more books for less money. We don't need to discuss how much I spent the last time I went to 50% book land. Granted some of it was for gifts, but I bought a fair amount for myself. Now if only work would ease up a bit so I could get around to reading.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'll definitely have to buy this book if I want to read it anytime soon - my library system only ordered 14 copies, they're all still on "In-Process" status, and there's 86 hold requests already.

Comment

This is reminding me entirely too much of the "Read or Die" OAV -- an anime about a bibliomaniac with Magneto-class kinetic control over paper (much better than it sounds). The pic below pretty much sums up the checkout process (The character's name is "Yomiko Readman" -- figuratively, "Read-child Reader/Readman"). I know that look in her eyes...

Not that I'm any better. When I lived in a town where the big-name bookstores have full-sized locations, I could spend inordinate amounts of time trolling through the $10-and-under racks of discontinued hardbacks and coffee table books. The only thing that kept me under control on those runs was physics -- I couldn't buy more than I could actually carry
              Attached Files
              Last edited by EricKei; 07-17-2015, 09:00 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I had to set myself a book allowance each month otherwise it got a bit silly, especially with employee discount.

At the moment I have one wall covered in floor-to-ceiling shelves, one long shelf across another wall (full as soon as it went up), a small bookcase (also full), several 2 ft tall piles on top of that of books and a half dozen bags of books on the floor. These are actual books, this doesn't count the basket of proofs I have on the floor too. I'm getting a bit worried I'm going to turn into Gollum since the books are starting to block out the light.

This doesn't count the eReader I have with several hundred books and documents on it (mostly doc's) and my tablet, which is where I try to buy and stash comics since space is clearly such an issue. I have bought some books in both eBook and physical format though just because I love the author, love the conveniency of having the book always with me and am more than happy to pay for the author's work twice for the pleasure.

I never leave the house without a book of some sort, electronic or paper. I believe this all qualifies me as being firmly in 'bibliomaniac' or 'bloody nutter' territory .

Yeah Eric, that was my face the first time I ever set foot in a Barnes and Noble All these books (even if they are taxed) and such a different variety from the UK stores! Picked up a couple of what the bookseller told me were some classic US reads that I'd never heard of before and one or two books on US history, just for a change
                Last edited by EricKei; 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Heh. Well -- most of us in this thread could probably be described as "bibliophiles" -- those who really like books ^_^ A "bibliomaniac" (like the character I mentioned) would be someone who is psychologically addicted to books (I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can give a better definition than I can). In the case of Yomiko, her home is basically wall-to-wall books (and several inches on the floor), and the notion of ever NOT having books within arm's reach is (apparently) genuinely disturbing for her.

That coat of hers? Always has several pockets with books in them, and several other pockets filled with paper so that she always has "ammo" to use for her powers. As in, enough to make a giant paper airplane (a working one, mind you) capable of flying a human or two across long distances...And it's tougher than an actual airplane

Comment

My best friend works at RiverRocks and they had a midnight launch for the orange book, which apparently went very well if quietly. She (like myself) has a book habit and with her discount still manages to spend too much on books
                    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I only knew because she lives here and it was all over the news .
                      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                      And it's not what I wanted to be
                      The weight on me
                      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I actually get annoyed when customers say, 'I could never work here, I'd spend all my paycheck on books!" or "I bet you spend all your pay on books!" I know they don't mean anything by it, but it makes me feel like they think my job is just a hobby, and sure, it's fun but I don't do it for fun. I get these things called bills I have to pay. In my head it seems like they think no one would have a serious career selling books. I've worked for the same company 14 years and some of my co-workers have been selling books for more than 20 years.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

A true fan of ANY book settles for no less than hardcover. That is just crazy that someone bothered to go to a midnight release deal and actually hope to save a few pennies for some cheap paperback version :P

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            I actually get annoyed when customers say, 'I could never work here, I'd spend all my paycheck on books!" or "I bet you spend all your pay on books!" I know they don't mean anything by it, but it makes me feel like they think my job is just a hobby, and sure, it's fun but I don't do it for fun. I get these things called bills I have to pay.
                            I can only speak for myself, but I don't think any job is a hobby. I just have poor impulse control when it comes to things I enjoy. Like books. And back in high school when my only bill was gas for the car, I likely would have spent most if not all of my paycheck on books if I worked there. I'd been known to go in to a bookstore, see that I'd missed several books of a series I was reading, and buy all of them in one go. And decide to start another series because, hey why not, and buy all of those books as well. Especially once I discovered manga. A crack addiction might have been cheaper. >.>
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                              A true fan of ANY book settles for no less than hardcover.
                              Hardcovers are awfully difficult to lug around, especially for those (like me) who get most of their reading done on break at work, or on public transportation (or waiting for public transportation). I prefer paperbacks, myself.

Comment

Paperbacks are also easier on problem wrists, due to being lighter.
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X