This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More amusing than sucky, but still

I have a work-study job at a natural history museum and fossil site in addition to my convenience store job. So, keep in mind that I actually like the general public in that setting rather than the c-store, where I hate most everyone.

I was giving a tour of the site to a church group. Everyone was being pretty cool about it. We've gotten some creationists before, and let me tell you, they have an opinion about evolution. One man asked if we ever get creationists.

Not thinking about it being a church group, I chuckled and rolled my eyes. I caught myself before I actually said anything, but still felt as thought I'd exposed my sentiments on creationists as we know them at the museum.

This woman piped up, "I think it'd be more balanced if you presented creationist views, too."

I pointed at a hill flanking the fossil site, "There's a church on the other side of that hill if you want to hear about creationism. I just present the scientific evidence and let it speak for itself. I'm not a preacher."

That was all that was said about it, so it didn't really suck. I actually found the incident amusing. What does suck, though, is that I know of an incident with another guide's group in which some guy accused her of being an athiest because she worked there. I just don't understand why people have to make a debate about creation or evolution. Personally, I think there's a little truth in both.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Wait, I am a little confused. If they are that adamant about creationism, then what the hell are they doing at a natural history fossil site to begin with? Other than causing hate and discontent.

I may have just answered my own question.

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
      =This woman piped up, "I think it'd be more balanced if you presented creationist views, too."
      So does this mean I can go to their church, sit in on Mass, and hear about evolution theories? I think it'd be more balanced to my beliefs!

I swear, people don't think before they talk, ever.
      "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
        If they are that adamant about creationism, then what the hell are they doing at a natural history fossil site to begin with?
        Because not all creationists discount evolution.
        Last edited by Ree; 12-14-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

This woman piped up, "I think it'd be more balanced if you presented creationist views, too."
          And the the various Holocaust museums could give the deniers views also for balance. And the flat Earthers, and the geocentrists, and the cryptozoologists and the UFOlogists. While we're at it let's teach acupuncture, homeopathy and chiropractic in the medical schools. Oohh and lets make economists study Marks and psychiatrists and neurologists study Freud.

Now days it pretty much takes deliberate fraud to get bullshit past the scientific community.
          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

People don't go into churches demanding scientific evidence, so why would they go into a history museum demanding the creationist side?

People just want to hear what they already believe, they don't want to have to think.

Comment

I pointed at a hill flanking the fossil site, "There's a church on the other side of that hill if you want to hear about creationism. I just present the scientific evidence and let it speak for itself. I'm not a preacher."
              I'm curious as to what that person would expect to see presented on behalf of the
              creationism point of view - in a MUSEUM. The Bible?

Comment

Because not all creationists discount evolution.
                good point, like how i like saying that God caused evolution to happen

Comment

You've got the Creation Museum in Kentucky for that. Sad but true.
                  The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

I am embarrassed to live near the Creation museum. I'm not trying to send this post to fratching, but my husband and I have a funny plan: he's a biochemist, so creationism is not welcome in our house. We plan to go to the Creation museum someday, but are afraid there will be a sensor that will set off the Scientist Alarm when we walk in. It would be even better if he wears his 'Viva la Evolution" t-shirt with the chimp wearing a beret on it.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth derangedperson View Post
                      You've got the Creation Museum in Kentucky for that. Sad but true.
                      and they did re-enactments there... the actor they hired to play Adam was gay... I love the irony of a gay man being paid by Fundamentalists to recreate the first man to get married.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Some of them also think that creati^H^H^H^H^H^H"intellgent design" is science.
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Sounds to me like some people just don't know how to shut up and show some respect for others' beliefs, especially if those beliefs are different from their own.

That being directed at the tour group in the OP.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This is what makes me just a tiny bit crazy. Creation is a belief. Evolution is the explanation to fit the facts at hand. This are not the same thing. I would quote Douglas Adams here (O. Collophoid), but I don't have HHGttG handy.....

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              good point, like how i like saying that God caused evolution to happen
                              I thought that was the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
                              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X